Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on June 22, 2000
I have to agree with the reviewer below me (even though he stole most of it from the book's introduction). The language the translators use is sometimes less than modern and more often nonstandard, but the sutras just feel right. It's hard to find a better collection of introductory sutras than this. A warning: the texts focus on Mahayana Buddhism (though not exclusively), and even the Tao Te Ching is in here, so old-time Theravadans might feel a little left out, but I think the diversity is a good thing.
Don't take this book as a literal bible--it's too personal to Goddard. It's also not the best intoduction to Buddhist thought out there: if you want a basic intro to Buddhist thought, I'd suggest Rahula's _What the Buddha Taught_. If you like what you've seen elsewhere and want to start delving into the sutras, this is the place to start.
on July 13, 2004
I have read "The Buddhist Bible" by Goddard many times and continue to do so often. To me it is a constant and easily availabe source. I believe it is one of the best books out there. Still, it is often hard to follow and seemingly contradictory as the Sutras are themselves at times.It is however, a must, and will take ongoing study throughout a persons life, as most worthwhile books do.Of course, there is also the "little" issue of putting into practice what we "understand".
The reason I am once again looking at this site is to purchase this book again.The cost is cheap, and so is the binding. This is my third or fourth one. They fall apart constantly, and so I am looking and hoping there is a hardback edition available. Perhaps its binding will last longer.
on July 19, 2001
A nice collection of a wide variety of Buddhist scriptures. Very helpful. For you Kerouac fans, this was the book that started it all. We should be very greatful. Thanks Dwight!