2,255 Reviews
 (1,277)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Giver - Utopia Bust!
Published on Feb. 26 2005 by Tsuppi

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read for Adults too
This is a bit of an basic book, but a good discussion for a Book Club. It is a very quick and easy read; full of interesting thoughts about what a `perfect' society would be like. It had the answers to all of our difficult questions. "What role do I play in society?" "How do we handle heath care?" "Who will look after us when we are old and unable to?" "Will I find a...
Published on March 8 2007 by TJ

5.0 out of 5 stars The Giver - Utopia Bust!, Feb. 26 2005
Tsuppi (O Canada...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
Try to imagine a huge idea of a team of twisted scientists come to life: solitary, colourless, perfect communities. No one is stressed, no one is hateful, and everyone ACTUALLY uses precise language ( Eh-hem, unlike some places now... ). However, all this changes when one Utopian citizen, Jonas, is selected to "recieve" memories of the past, when pain was inevitable, and love was treasured, not called "obsolete and general."
I am 12-going-on-13, and have read The Giver for 7th Grade. But, oh, how it has touched me. There is something about Lowry's admirable writing that is slightly sci-fi and simple, but extremely beautiful. I've probably read this book 6 times over already, and my teacher has indicated my potential as being a Receiver of Memory, like Jonas ( don't ask ).
This book is UNDENIABLY thought-provoking and an amazing treasure. It will keep you thinking about our world again and again, how such SIMPLE things like hugs and music and COLOUR should be treasured. The Giver definetely deserves 5 stars of 5!
P.S: Read "The Face of Love" by Apple Pie on Fanfiction.net. I SWEAR, you are NOT a Giver fan until you've read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good, if not better, than I remember, July 18 2014
I first read this book as a kid and it changed my life, and now reading it 13 years since, I understand why this book was so important. It's light preparation for reality, a commentary on values, and a questioning of the concept of uniformity and sameness. It was through this book that I understood the value of words and stories and shared experience. I hope to read this one day again to my future children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great (and Quick) Book!, June 12 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book in elementary school. Now I'm in my mid-twenties and it's still just as magical as it was back then. Great (and quick) book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Giver, May 17 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book on the recommendation of my daughter. I haven't read it yet, but my daughter rarely reads anything, so it must be good! Looking forward to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Giver read in 7th Grade...by Mia R., April 29 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
I think that The Giver was worth reading at some parts, however it was very predictable. First, in my opinion, The Giver is a great book because it teaches you a lesson. The book shows us how grateful we should be for what we have. Second, it was a very interesting book because of the descriptions of the community. I like how it illustrated their daily lives. Finally, the length of the chapters are very appropriate for the level of the book. They were not too short and not too long. All in all, even though I expected what was going to happen in The Giver it was definitely a beneficial read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 25 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is amazing! I have read it multiple times since I was very small. Now I am in eighth grade and I am reading this again for a book report and I still find it captivating. Personally, I find this book is a great read for anyone wishing to read something that really makes you think.

***RECOMMEND!***

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, April 16 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
This book has a totally different meaning when you read it in your adult years.

"What if they were allowed to choose their own spouse.... and picked wrong".

Great read. Highly recommended for readers of all abilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!, March 17 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a quick, fantastic book. I was left wanting more. As soon as I finished I added Lois Lowry's other books to my wish list.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Giver, Jan. 3 2014
katzi - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Giver (Paperback)
This was purchased as part of the series or my grandson's school assigned reading project. good quality and good price (unfortunately the shipping is as much as the book!) Irene

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for The Giver, June 14 2013
The Giver is a fantastic take on exposing our submission to the way things are instead of wondering if we are living in a man made void that won't allow us to see the way life could be. I love it...will likely love the whole Trilogy.

The Giver
The Giver by Lois Lowry (Audio CD - Feb. 27 2001)
CDN$ 34.00 CDN$ 21.32