2,045 Reviews
 (1,757)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as magical as the first one - the kids & I loved it!
I read this book aloud to my children. It was won a number of literary awards, including: 2008 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature, 1999 British Book Award, 1999 Smarties Prize, and 1999 Booklist Editors' Choice.

Published 14 months ago by Darlene

2.0 out of 5 stars Was ok
The book itself was in decent condition but the dust cover was ruined, torn and water damaged. Not like described by the poster.
Published 9 months ago by Kirk Mendes

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as magical as the first one - the kids & I loved it!, May 28 2013
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

At the start of the book, 12 year-old Harry is eagerly awaiting his return for his second year at Hogwarts. The Dursleys are hosting an important dinner for Mr. Dursley’s boss and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Mason, and Harry is supposed to remain out of sight so as not to embarrass them. Upon his return to his room, he finds a strange elf named Dobby who has come to warn Harry not to return to Hogwarts. When Harry finds out that Dobby has been stealing the letters from Ron and Hermione meant for Harry, he is furious. Dobby makes trouble for Harry and uses magic to send Mrs. Dursley’s dessert crashing to the floor and a furious Mr. Dursley forbids Harry from ever returning to Hogwarts. He installs iron grates over the window and takes away his magic books and wand and locks them up in the cupboard under the stairs. Poor Harry! Good thing that Ron and his twin brothers steal their father’s magical car and use it to tear the grate from the window and rescue Harry!

Harry stays with the Weasleys until school starts, and Dobby tries to prevent Harry from getting aboard the Hogwarts train by sealing the magical passageway to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. The quick-thinking boys use Mr. Weasley’s car again to get to Hogwarts, although not without consequences!

The newness of Hogwarts still hasn’t rubbed off for me. I found it just as magical as the first book in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. In this installment, we are introduced to the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Gilderoy Lockhart. The women all swoon over this man, who has authored many books that recount his magical escapades. The book is a bit darker than the series debut, and Harry keeps hearing a chilling voice who whispers murderous words. Victims are becoming petrified, essentially turning into statues, and it seems to have to do with a Chamber of Secrets that was opened many years before. The key lies in a mysterious book that falls into Harry’s possession, which was owned by a Hogwarts student named Tom Riddle.

My kids and I absolutely loved this book! It was filled with so much excitement, and it was the highlight of our day to read this at bedtime each night. Even at such a young age, it is easy to see that Harry is becoming a very powerful wizard. I love the whole “good versus evil” tone that Rowling has created.

As was with the first one, I love how Rowling ends off the book with such a touching scene between Dumbledore and Harry. Dumbledore always offers Harry sage insight and treats him with such warmth and love, and I couldn’t help getting misty-eyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars good condition, thank you., Feb. 3 2012
the book arrived in good condition. I am happy with my purchase. the transaction was smooth and reliable. thank you very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was ok, Oct. 5 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, April 4 2013
K. Sheppard - See all my reviews
I loved the Potter series. It is worth reading even if you have seen the movies. It gives you more insight into the charaters and also includes thoughts, ideas and extras that were not in the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: The World Expands, Sept. 28 2012
Scoopriches (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With one wand, I give J.K. a lot of credit, she upped the ante quite abit here. With the other wand, I have to declare this was my least favourite of the seven.

So begins my disjointed look at Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, the second book in the series. The one that I read that J.K. had some of the most stress over, worried it would not work another time. It does, but with some catches.

J.K. takes a big risk here by bringing the terror of racial lynching to our characters lives. For most books, just bringing up the topic by having a vile person spout slurs would be considered daring, with a dash of after school special morals thrown in to make it all better by the end. This does not happen here. The viciousness of the topic is brought up and permeates the entire book, and it's stench sticks around right to the bitter end of the series. No pat resolution is offered. And combined with the uncertain terror of these racial attacks, which are designed to kill, J.K. is telling her audience the awful truth. Hatred exists, no matter what special abilities you possess, nor how rich you are, this virulent strain of nastiness can infect anyone.

To push the issue further, J.K. subtly slides into the story the concept of slavery. Dobby's antics as an enslaved house elf are sometimes played with light comedic outcomes, but his self-torture because of perceived disobedience is heartbreaking. The hows and whys of the house elf's history is never explained but only partially referred to, but their power to topple their unjust wizard owners is obvious. But they stay subjugated. Of the uncounted multitudes of house elf's shown throughout the series, only one, our friend Dobby, is happy with being liberated. Despite Hermione's efforts later in the series, this reality does not change. No easy answer for this problem.

The final good part that really stuck to me was not revealed till the end. The alienation of Ginny from all those around her, unnoticed by everyone, becomes a major point at the conclusion. A first year student, with plenty of older siblings, all in her house, but she is still so alone. A magical diary talking back to her, giving her a much needed soothing, is very much the equivalent of caring strangers on the internet. Ginny seeks solace where she can find it. And that is sad.

As for the bitter medicine of criticism I must now dispense, it relates to how J.K. has to shape the plot. With every book she has to find ways to extend the story to fit over the course of a year. Results here are mixed, but the majority of the time her ideas work and work very well. In this instance, she concocts a ridiculous plan to trick information out of Draco by using Polyjuice potion. The plan is over the top in bad Ocean's 12 style, and when Hermione states the potion takes a month to ferment, my eyes rolled. A convenient way to allow time to pass by. My one sore spot in an otherwise glorious series.

Now that Harry, Hermione, and Ron have saved the day again, the stage is all set for a more mature tale to inhabit the series. With age comes more danger and intrigue and family history to explore. And Hagrid getting a well deserved promotion.

Scoopriches

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome book for everyone, March 28 2011
Kids will enjoy reading this book as the characters were very good. The book ended very well . My favourite part is the Quidditch scene and very helpful in real life. Don't tell me you haven't been head to head with a house elf that says 'Harry Potter must not go to school this year' and would gladly break every bone in your body to enforce that. Or maybe you're in a game of Quidditch and a die-cast steel, magically enforced ball is baying for your blood and bone. And definitely don't tell me you didn't spend last year saving the Philosopher's Stone from a teacher named professor Quarrel who wears a turban concealing the face of magic Hitler whose name rhymes with mouldy-wart and turns to dust on contact with you . The characters were so believable you think you would see them on the streets of London and cast a spell to open a door just because they can do it. I have read this book many times and I think future generations should read it and try to replicate the magic with their science as it would be great. This book should be a timeless classic for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chamber of Secrets has been opened!, Feb. 28 2011
Omnes - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Though my favorite volumes in the Harry Potter series are the first, the fourth, the fifth and the seventh, I have to say that this one is very special to me. For the simple reason that this second year of Harry's studies at Hogwarts presents events from the past, events that reveal secrets about characters we know like Hagrid the gamekeeper, others like the amazing Dobby, and an incident that was the start of several incidents around the wizard world. Not only that, we find in this book events and characters, along with small incidents that take place around the school, that will definitely take an influence in the upcoming books.

For when Harry Potter is warned that he must not return to Hogwarts and becomes accused of several incidents around Hogwarts, and a certain Chamber of Secrets, he has to find, with Ron and Hermione, the culprit before it is too late.

As a final note, those that are very careful can find out in a single chapter the year that the story is taking place and set that series around the 1990s and not the 21st century, like I heard some people say when discussing the series with other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, Nov. 28 2009
Leonard Mailloux (Tilbury, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
Being new to the Harry Potter series, I must say they are great books. This is my second and I intend to buy them all. Very well written and hold your attention throughout. It's hard to find a good stopping point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, Fantastic series., Sept. 25 2009
Samuel Shaver (USA) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic, imaginative, and I couldn't stop reading it. I recommend this book to anyone. It also came promptly on time, in very good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price, great condition!, Feb. 19 2009
Sanjukta Bhattacharya (Markham, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I had ordered this book about a week before Christmas and it was delivered way ahead than I had expected.

Good print, good quality paper used, great price ...

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (Audio CD - Dec 1 1999)
CDN$ 77.95 CDN$ 48.87