5.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed a Copy, Now Buying My Own

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not for families or budget watchers
Published on Jan. 11 2001 by Kathleen Igo

5.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed a Copy, Now Buying My Own, Sept. 15 2002
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I've made only a few recipes from this book, but I am completely sold on it. I became a big pressure cooker fan after the first recipe. The flavors are delicious (lentil soup is my favorite), and they are so simple! I feel like I am providing a very nutritious meal for my family--all the nutrients stay in the pot and it keeps my kitchen so clean. I can saute in the cooker, then cook the whole meal--so little clean-up, and the meals are eye-appealing, wholesome and delicious. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best out there, Aug. 1 2003
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
Of about 4-5 pressure cooker cookbooks I have bought, this is far and away the best one, not even an issue. The recipes are fairly simple, easy to put together, easy to find/common ingredients, and they taste great. This is what a pressure cooker should do for you. There are good general guidelines on how to cook other things as well. While there are not a whole lot of recipes in here, they are all great and easy. If you have to have one pressure cooker cookbook, this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fantastic 7 months later!, April 4 2001
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
...I get enough variety from this one book, mind you I might only pressure-cook my meals 2-3 times a week, I go out to eat a lot, and I grill things in summer, and I like to fry my fish although it is nice in the cooker too...I agree some of the ingredients are more rare. E.g the moroccan rice recipe, called for some spices I did not have, and an apple which I also did not have when I first did it. The teriyaki spare ribs - well, naturally they call for some Japanese ingredients, but I've made them with none of the fancy ingredients in fact I did not even sit them to marinate - I just cooked them and poured the liquids over them, delicious! lol
In fact if I want to cook say a stew, I just look at the recipes now to get some idea of what to do, and throw everything in. There is nothing to it.
This is not the most basic pressure cookbook, not the "sauce, meat, vege" type cooking. But people, it is sooo much simpler than some of the crazy gourmet ones I have, with the most exotic ingredients, where some of the ingredients are other RECIPES from earlier in the book .... this book is somewhere in between and a very comfortable medium.
Like I said, it is the one I use all the time. I eat at some of the best restraunts in the country, and you know, sometimes they can't come close to the hearty home cooked meal I can whip up in 30 minutes. Now I'm hungry, and its 2am ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great meals that taste like you worked all day on them, March 3 2001
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
For the past several years Pat Dailey's "The New Pressure Cooker", along with Lorna Sass's book, has helped me put great tasting meals on the table without spending the whole day in the kitchen.
I'm not sure what the reader below is looking for but if you are looking for a great recipe for veal shanks (Osso Bucco) "Veal Shanks with Sage and Sun-dried Tomatoes" is a winner. When we visited Florence last year my husband ordered Osso Bucco in a well know restaurant and it tasted "just like yours, honey."
Like lamb? "Lamb shanks with Garlicy Port Wine Sauce" is a staple at our house, as is "Italian Chicken with Sausage and Peppers." Two other easy and tasty chicken dishes, "Chicken with Vinegar" and "Chicken with Prosciutto" are great party fare.
Stuffed pepper in 19 minutes, start to finsh? It might take you 25 mintues the first time you make them, but "Lamb and Feta Stuffed Peppers" quick and easy comfort food on a cold winter night. In fact, I have some leftover rice. I think I will make this tonight!
So maybe not the best book if you are cooking for toddlers or the meat-and-potatoes-only crowd. But if you like this kind of food and don't have the time and/or energy for the traditional preparation, give this book a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, fantastic, simple, lots of variety ! A Must have, July 3 2000
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I ~highly~ recommend this book!
I would pay the price of the book just for a single serving of any one of the recipes I have made so far.
The food I cook for myself at home using these recipes is as good as any restraunt. Sure, when I prepare a meal it is not as neatly presented as in a classy restraunt, but these pressure cooker meals are many times more hearty, more satisfying.
My favorite recipes so far: Hungarian Goulash, BBQ Pork Chops, Spaghetti Bolognese, Grand Champ Chili. Tomorrow I'll be trying Teriyaki Spare Ribs. What will you be eating?
If you are thinking of getting a pressure cooker cookbook, this is a very good one. Divided into sections, I have listed the sections and number of recipes in each section here:
Soups 13, Meats and Poultry 19, Stews and one-dish meals 12, Fish and Seafood 7, Vegetables 7, Rice Beans Pasta 11, Sauces 5, Desserts 10
The recipes are easy to follow even for a complete beginner, not like some recipes I have seen in other books that are just way too much work. Furthermore, the pressure cooker is probably the only washing up you will need to do.
I would say that, from this book, you will cook at least one of the meals every week for evermore.
If you have a pressure cooker, get this book! If you don't have a pressure cooker, GET ONE they are the future of home cooking.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, not for families or budget watchers, Jan. 11 2001
Kathleen Igo (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I purchased this book after reading the reviews on Amazon. All those 5 star reviews convinced me! They were wrong. I find more help in the owners manual I received with my new electric pressure cooker! Too many speciality ingredients that I don't even know where to buy, much less whether we like or not. Too many ingredients in general. I was looking for down home, easy, family-type meals, and found "gourmet" type recipes. I now check out the customer reviews rather than the "experts" and I read the reviews more carefully and watch for key words like simple, few ingredients, family, ingredients I find on my shelves, etc. I also check out table of contents when offered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good recipes, Feb. 20 2002
Piedmont Lady (Winston-Salem, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I have liked every recipe I've tried in here so far. I just bought my first pressure cooker recently, and it is quite impressive how tender the meats turn out when you cook them using this method.
The Greek Beef Stew has very rich taste and a variety of spices. We eat it on a bed of rice. Try the Chicken in Vinegar, Beef Stroganoff, Pork Chops Stuffed with Apples and Jambalaya. Note on the Jambalaya - this tastes great, but you need to add extra chicken broth because it gets really thick and will scorch if you're not careful.
...this is not your basic meat and potatoes cookbook - but I think that is one of the STRONG POINTS!!! Many of these recipes use different vinegars and cooking wines which give them great flavors. While some of the spices and vinegars used might not be something you already have on your shelf, there is nothing in here so unusual that you can't buy it in a large grocery store. It's just a matter of buying them and putting them in the pantry. You will be glad you did, as you impress your family and guests with flavorful food.
I also have "The Pressured Cook" by Lorna Sass, but I like this cookbook better. I just wish they had put it in a ring binder so the the pages would stay open. I have to put a big knive across the top of the book to keep the pages flat while I am cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to cooking fine meals when you don't have time, Dec 31 1998
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
The subtitle says it all: "A complete guide to meals in minutes using today's stress-free pressure cooker". I was looking for some way to prepare good food when I got home from work, even though I'm not a cook and don't have time for lengthy preparation. This book is the answer.
There are a lot of excellent recipes in this small, usable cookbook. How about "fennel and scallop bisque" or "raspberry-glazed chicken" or "bistro lentil salad with goat cheese"? I bet your grandmother didn't make food like that in her pressure cooker! There are also the basics: how to cook rice, make chicken stock, make chile verde sauce (hey, in New Mexico, that's basic), etc.
There is one feature that make this book a standout. Following an excellent brief write-up about the dish, there are three pieces of information: preparation time, pressure cooking time, and other cooking time, so you know what you're in for. The food preparation directions are very clear and easy to follow, even for a novice like me.
I disagree with the author on one point. On page 10 she says, "When you start cooking with the pressure cooker, understand that it takes some getting used to." It doesn't. If you can follow the clear directions in this book and have read the owner's manual for the pressure cooker (important), you will be successful immediately.
If I can do it, so can you. Buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars You've got to try the chicken in vinegar recipe!!, Aug. 28 2001
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
I ordered Pat Daley's book based soley on the reviews I read here on Amazon, and was particularly intrigued by one recipe that was mentioned over and over again...the chicken in vinegar. I just received my book yesterday, and prepared the chicken in vinegar tonight...OUT OF THIS WORLD!!. My usually quite picky 6 and 9 year olds couldn't get enough of the sauce. I served it with focaccia bread and steamed asparagus, and needlees to say, I am going to have to double the recipe next time around. Ms. Daley also has a very good introduction at the beginning of this book explaining the ins and outs of pressure cooking (I'm newly hooked on this method), and I can't wait to try some of the other recipes, for example the Beef Brisket with Smoked Chili Sauce, Teryaki Spareribs, and the Ciambiotta (an Italian vegetable stew). A great introduction for me (or anyone) and an excellent addition to any cookbook collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome ribs!, Feb. 2 2000
dallas (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook (Paperback)
This is a terrific cookbook; using it has saved me loads of time and effort in the kitchen. I like the easy-to-read type and the clear instructions. My pressure cooker has gotten a lot more use since I bought Pat's book.
One helpful point Pat makes is that with a pressure cooker, even the most time-crunched of us can keep our freezers supplied with homemade stock--very useful to have on hand! (I always freeze some in ice-cube trays for recipes that only require small amounts.)
An earlier reviewer recommended the recipe for "Chicken in Vinegar," which I agree is delicious, but my favorite so far is "Teriyaki Spareribs." These ribs are outstanding and make wonderful party food, too. Guests just can't get enough of them!
I wish the book contained nutritional info, but even without it, this is still a great cookbook. Brava, Pat--and bon appetit!

The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook
The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Dailey (Paperback - April 1 1990)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01