5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Life changing!
Everything we do is giving a message to our children. A scary thought? Certainly, especially when we realise that often we are unknowingly giving them entirely the WRONG message. Sometimes we are inadvertently teaching our children the exact OPPOSITE of what we would like to. The good news is that we can learn to give our kids the messages we really WANT them to get...
Published on June 15 2001 by Gaye Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho-hum. Pretty common sense, little useful info
Oh please. The examples were all cheesey, and it was so obvious what the "hidden message" was. Parenting would be EASY if all you had to do was be as obvious as the examples given. I bought the book expecting a more complex treatment of hidden messages and child development, but all we get are a bunch of vignettes which are pretty easy to avoid in your own life if you're...
Published on March 14 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and interesting, Oct. 29 2001
This review is from: Hidden Messages: What Our Words and Actions Are Really Telling Our Children (Paperback)
I love this book. It gives real life examples of common parent behavior that have surprising implications and influence on kids. It opens my eyes as to how our day-to-day and casual talks and actions, no matter how well-intentioned we are, can send damaging messages to our loved ones. In fact, I see myself and my friends featured in some of the stories and I'm grateful for the "hidden messages" uncovered. It's surely an exciting discovery of your own parenting style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought!, Feb. 7 2001
Elizabeth Pantley's latest book, extracts of which have been featured in the Practical Parenting newsletter. I love the style of this book; it takes stories bases on real life parenting situations and then draws out key messages about what we are really teaching our children; then pointers are provided for change. This book could also be used by practitioners in their work to prompt reflection and insight. Great book!
Dr Andy Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a great "heads up" for us, Feb. 3 2003
"mhalletts" (Franklin, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Our son is only 2 1/2, and a lot of the stories in this book apply more to kids who are a little older, so it has served us more as a warning before we have a chance to send many messages that we don't mean. _Hidden Messages_ really made us stop and think about what our son is actually learning from what we're trying to teach him. We've never been disappointed by an Elizabeth Pantley book, and this is no exception!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most powerful book I've ever read!, April 19 2004
"gabbyraja" (Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
Powerful is the only word to describe this book. I can't believe the impact it can have on your life. I think if all parents were required to read it before their children were born our world would be a place I'd be more than happy to raise my 2 children in!
Jessica Hudson
Sexy & Stylish Maternity Clothing and Nursing Clothing at Eva Lillian Maternity & Nursing Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED THIS BOOK!, March 1 2001
I highly recommend this book. I have seen many of the examples in my family as well as in families of friends. She makes the book very interesting by putting in stories. I am now reading "Kid Cooperation, How to Stop Yelling, Nagging & Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate" and like that very much as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and eye opening, Aug. 20 2001
I love the format of this book and the messages it accompanies. You read a story about a parenting situation and think, well, I do that, what's the big deal? Then you read the hidden message you are sending your child and a light bulb goes on in your head. I highly recommend it to every parent.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT BOOK!!!!!, Feb. 27 2003
By A Customer
I could not stop reading this book! The short stories make it so interesting that I couldn't wait to read the next. I think all parents will be able to relate to many of the stories and learn so much!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing hidden messages, May 16 2011
I have not finished the book yet. But I should say that I am very happy I picked up this one. I am learning many things that otherwise I would have never thought about.

Some situations look so normal to me, until I read about the hidden messages, and realize how wrong I was for thinking the original story was fine. I like that they also give you examples of how you should have acted instead. It is a most read book.

Hidden Messages: What Our Words and Actions Are Really Telling Our Children