4.0 out of 5 stars A fun filled adventure, April 29 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy-Tale Detective - #1 (Paperback)
The story is certainly filled with fun and a very entertaining read. Nearly every fairy tale or story I've read as a kid was featured in this book. I guess you could say, it was like reading something that came out of Shrek, sans the main cast. The concept is certainly very interesting and adding in the idea of making the Grimm family a family of detectives out to solve mysteries caused by the Everafters (characters and creatures from the fairy tales) makes the story all the more fun to read. There were a few parts here and there that made me laugh out loud (the momma bear part was really good).

I have to admit I didn't like Sabrina at first. Her skepticism got annoying and for someone who's very young (around 11 years of age) she doesn't act like it. She's certainly very mature - however given that they have jumped through a dozen or so foster homes, perhaps that's what made her grow up so fast. However, I still think she's a little too skeptical for her own good. All characters though were well done and each had something I liked. Which makes the book even much more enjoyable to read.

The ending of the book is well done, albeit, a little too quick in finishing off the main story arc but naturally it leaves a lot more to do with the Grimm family and leaves me with a lot of questions. I am definitely going to get into this series. It's a quick read and there aren't any lulls or anything that takes you away from the main plot.

Overall it's certainly worth a look into if you want something light and easy to read. It's filled with adventure and will keep you entertained, and hopefully getting you to pursue the series a little more further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, Oct. 12 2006
Nicolette Horsthuis (Vancouver Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
Perfect for read aloud and extremely inventive. I highly recommend this series, although it might be a little scarey for very young children. My 8 and 10 year old children adore them and beg me to read them aloud every night.

Fantastic series. I cannot say enough about these books.

Clever plots, great characters, lots of humour that kids usually get, but parents will enjoy. And it is very, very fun guessing which 'fairy tale' character is which in the books.

We would give 10 stars if we could!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A kid's book that adults can enjoy, May 25 2008
I discovered this delightful book while browsing one afternoon. I found the concept intriguing, and was not disappointed. The humour is childish at times, but still enjoyable. A book that you can read to your children, and then have them read again on their own. I have now read this book and the second in the series, and am looking forward to reading more.

The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy-Tale Detective - #1
The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy-Tale Detective - #1 by Michael Buckley (Paperback - April 1 2007)
CDN$ 8.95 CDN$ 8.50