5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive resource for Moroccan Cuisine
Don't let the slimness of this volume fool you, it is loaded with info and recipes and charm. From its beautiful color photos to its warm and personal intro and associated history and culture to go along with more than 100 recipes, this is a fine resource for those of us who want to continue our delving into Moroccan cuisine.
Fascinating the history of her family in...
Published on Jan. 28 2002 by rodboomboom

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good!
This is really a third or fourth tier cookbook. I was sorely disappointed. The recipes are of average quality, but the writing is unimaginative and does not capture Morocco or even what it's like in an Arab country. For me the lesson is that pretty pictures don't make a cookbook.
Published on March 18 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick and fun trip to a Moroccan kitchen, May 25 2002
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking at the Kasbah: Recipes from My Morroccan Kitchen (Paperback)
Even before I opened it, I liked "Cooking at the Kasbah." This is a crash course in Moroccan cooking--a subject that I wouldn't have said interested me particularly, but which is made very inviting by author Kitty Morse.
Listen and learn from just one of the fascinating tidbits within: "Smen, an aged butter similar to Asian ghee, is a prized flavoring ingredient in Moroccan dishes. Berber farmers in southern Morocco bury a tightly-sealed pot of smen on the day of a daughter's birth, unearthing it years later to flavor the couscous served on her wedding day."
The recipes are surprisingly easy and well-thought-out, although the use of a bigger typeface would have been a good idea. Laurie Smith's sumptuous photographs are especially to be commended. Using a lens which seems to have perhaps been coated in honey, she manages to impart a golden, glowing, richly colored look to every dish she shot for this book. "Cooking at the Kasbah" would not have been nearly as wonderful without Smith's photographic contributions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive resource for Moroccan Cuisine, Jan. 28 2002
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
Fascinating the history of her family in Morocca and their long-term commitment to remain there and contribute to the preservation of the architecture and culture. Passed on was Kitty's love for the people and their food.
What attracts me and just might you also is the seductive use of fragrant spices, herbs and dried fruit in wonderful, delectable dishes such as: Stuffed Meatballs with Dried Sweet Onion Sauce, Tangine of Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Artichoke Hearts, Briouats of Shrimp and Chinese Rice Vermicelli, Chicken B'stilla (the best! cinammon laced chicken filling in razor thin pastry, here made of phyllo), or the Spiced Tomato and Honey Coulis, or the Sweet Cinnamon Couscous with Dried Fruit.
Worth the inclusion into the venturesome gourmet's repoirtoire. A delight to thumb through and to cook from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, beautiful photos & interesting Morrocan info., Oct. 1 2001
Nita Gill (Solana Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I used this book to help create a very successful Moroccan dinner party. I used 9 recipes from this book. The Lamb Marrekesh Stew, Tomato and Eggplant Salad, Dates with Almond paste and especially the Chicken B'stila were EXELLENT! The instructions were clear and I liked that Kitty Morse indicates how far in advance the dishes can be made and which ones are freezable.
There was plenty of information about Moroccan dining to help me make the dinner more authentic. We washed our hands at the table with orange blossom scented water and ate with our fingers. Our guests LOVED it.
Kitty has included a list of suppliers which I found very useful. I was even able to order Moroccan wine and beer from an importer on her list.
I hoghly recommend this book. It is the first book I have ever felt motivated to rate. It is that good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow and have had fantastic results. Wonderful!, Oct. 21 1998
By A Customer
"Recipes from My Moroccan Kitchen, COOKING AT THE KASBAH", by Kitty Morse is instantly captivating. One is immediately emerged into the heart of a culture through stunning photos and easy to understand recipes. Everything in this book makes it easy for a beginning cook to have immediate success with dishes rich in tradition and flavor. The Shish Kabobs Marraskesh Style were an instant hit and so easy to prepare. I was especially pleased to find mail-order sources as well as detailed explaintion on how to prepare, serve and even eat these Moroccan treasures. Kitty Morse has created a wonderful book for anyone interested in expanding their own tastes. "Cooking at the Kazsbah" also makes a welcome gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to the eyes and the palate, April 13 1999
By A Customer
Having traveled throughout Morocco several times and savored the food from La Mamounia Hotel to a bus driver's humble two room home, I found Cooking at the Kasbah a treasure. The tantalizing recipes are presented in an uncomplicated and motivating format. The photos capture the sensuality of the food and presentation. The cultural insight offered in the introduction and throughout the book provide a virtual tour of this intriguing country. I have several Moroccan cookbooks and this is my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFULL!, Jan. 21 1999
By A Customer
Having only heard stories of Morocco from my Grandma who grew up there, I instantly fell in love with this book. The pictures are captivating, the recipies scruptous, and the information was put together very well. Along with most recipies I found historical/cultural accounts of how/when/where/why the recipie was used. This, along with the Introduction really helped. I will be giving this book as a gift to both my mother and grandmother, and hope that they will give it as gifts too.

5.0 out of 5 stars sunny recipes bring Med scent, flavor and texture to table, April 14 1999
By A Customer
Kitty Morse's outstanding Cooking in the Kasbah will bring the sunny Mediterraean to any table, any time of the year. Her recipes savorfully reflect centuries of myriad influences that have visited Morocco's cuisine. Colorful, happy dishes beg conviviality. Sultry flavors and textures adapt to more intimate occasions. The recipes themselves are finely tuned and easy to follow. Readers come away with a enlarged picture of North Africa's morés, and full, happy bellies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous - Demystifies Morrocan Cooking, April 18 1999
By A Customer
Finally, a book that makes Moroccan cooking approachable, flavorable, and beautiful. The photographs are wonderful - setting the mood for the cooking - real and rustic. The B'stila B'djej is out of this world, the Briouat B'Kemroon - creative, delicious and innovative, and K'seksoo B'kemroon - light and refreshing. The head notes give excellent background, history, and author's hints. Morse's book invited me back to an arena of food that I had walked away from.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like taking a trip to Morocco!, Dec 19 1998
Having lived in Morocco, I was instantly transported back to the wonderful sights and smells of Moroccan cuisine. The history and photos within the book really bring the culture alive. Kitty Morse has adapted the recipes to make cooking easy for those of us who don't have a souk nearby. Her Chicken B'stilla recipe is the best I have found and the Saffron Vegetable Soup is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unearthly delightful!, April 20 1999
By A Customer
Rarely does one encounter such a perfect union of artistry, culture, and good taste in a not so plain paper wrapper. I found this book a tour de force of good writing, beautiful photos, and interesting sidelights of local history. A finer example of the modern cooking genre is hard to imagine. Bravo Miss Kitty: we await an encore!

Cooking at the Kasbah: Recipes from My Morroccan Kitchen
Cooking at the Kasbah: Recipes from My Morroccan Kitchen by Kitty Morse (Paperback - Oct. 1 1998)
CDN$ 27.95 CDN$ 17.52