5.0 out of 5 stars Hoppy Easter Treats
Published on Feb. 27 2001 by Teri

3.0 out of 5 stars Crafts and Recipes for Most of the Family...
Published on Jan. 29 2004 by Amy Graham

4.0 out of 5 stars All-in-one!, April 6 2010
G. Morin (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
To help you celebrate Easter, this useful book contains recipes as well as craft ideas. Great!

3.0 out of 5 stars Crafts and Recipes for Most of the Family..., Jan. 29 2004
Amy Graham (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
Ok...this is a 96 page book concentrating on Easter (crafts and recipes). I had high hopes for it, based on the wonderful valentine volume in the same series (also available, Summer Time Treats, Halloween Treats, and Christmas Treats). I love the layout and format of the book...it's a soft cover book that is easy to handle. I do have concerns about the long term sturdiness of the book when actually doing the crafts and making the recipes...I don't know that the binding will hold up over the "long haul." I do like the overall cover design and layout -- very nice and visually appealing!

In the introduction, the author says:

"Easter is one of the most joyous holidays in Christianity, celebrates the resurrection of Christ. The Easter season is also a time when we honor the unity of our family and friends, welcome spring,,and revel in the awakening beauty of nature after the long days of winter."

Now, obviously, since I'm reviewing this volume from a Wiccan/Pagan perspective...I simply cannot "get behind" the first part of this...but I can whole heartedly embrace the latter part!! I did enjoy the very brief blurb in the introduction about the Germanic origins of Easter Eggs...but would like to have seen a more original suggestion than an Easter Egg Decorating Party for the "ideal" holiday get together!

You will also find standard tips for Boiling blowing, and dyeing your eggs.

As a book of "Recipes and Crafts for the Whole Family," I find this somewhat lacking in the "whole family" area!! Perhaps if your family consists of you and your husband or you and an older child or two, this might apply -- but for people like me (kids ages 3 and 5)...who are looking for a mix of elegant adult crafts and and fun and/or easy kids crafts...this books leaves me wanting. Certainly not in the adult crafting area -- there are a plethora to be had in this area -- but in easy, fun kids projects, there is MUCH to be desired!!

Page 18 has a cute Easter Egg Tree idea, but the ribbon eggs (which are stunningly beautiful) are WAY too complex for small children -- older children or teens looking for a bit of elegance might enjoy this seemingly time consuming project...

As with the Ribbon Eggs, the Washi Eggs (pg 22) and Candy Cones (pg 29) do not seem like kid friendly project either...they ARE beautiful, but definitely an adult project!

The Easy Easter Daisies (pg 25) and brilliant yellow dyed eggs would look STUNNING on an altar, there is just something about them that says SPRING...and with a bit of adjustment on the size of the daisy pattern, could easily be done by younger children!!

The Starry Sky Eggs (26), Jelly Bean Bags (32) and Marzipan Play Dough (Also pg 32) would all be well received by kids of all ages...and easy enough for them to enjoy doing...small kids will need help tying the bags on the jelly beans (be sure to have extra beans, snacking is inevitable with this project -- and half the fun...lol). There are also several projects (like bunny ears and finger puppets for younger children...but my kids already do this stuff at school and I was hoping for a few NEW ideas to do with them!!

The secret message eggs are a very cute and fun idea -- kids (with parents help) should delightin making and then smashing them (or helping the recipient to smash) to get at the message -- this craft also has possible applications for magickal workings -- I know you magickal crafters out there have your motors running already!!!

All the recipes (with the exception of the "chicken feed," pg 26) are adult caliber -- I would not attempt any of these -- well, perhaps the Easter Bonnet Shortbread ones (72)...but they would NOT look as elegant and refined as the ones pictured in the book...kids LOVE to decorate cookies...so this one is a definite kid friendly food project!!

So...overall I give this book:

B- for Content -- rated as a book for the "whole family," I find that it's lacking in easier recipes and crafts for kids younger than 8 or 10, but RICH in ideas for the adult crafter and certainly plenty that the adult Wiccan looking to spruce up that spring altar!! Not much I found here in the way of magickal application (beyond altar decoration...and the possibilities for spell work with the Secret Message Eggs). I would recommend it but not as a "main" source for your magickal library...

B+ for Price -- same as the Valentines for size and content...I'd really expect to see a price of 9.95 or slightly less -- with a 14.95 list price and about a 12.00 price tag on Amazon...its' a tad higher than I'd expect or like to see!
Cannot wait 'til I can afford to get the other three in this series, despite my dislikes about this volume, overall I think it's a good buy... and frankly I'm hooked and must have the rest!! Look for my reveiws of them when I can afford to buy them!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoppy Easter Treats, Feb. 27 2001
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
Well, it all started with the Halloween Treats book and now I'm hooked. This certain book has many yummy recipes for dinners, drinks, sweets, and even a cute bunny cake. There are also adorable and easy to do crafts for the kids, such as making a little chick and cute bunny finger puppets and you can't forget the dying of the eggs. The instructions are extremely easy to read and follow and the colorful photos of many of the projects are very helpful. I highly recommend this book, as well as the others 'treats' books. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easter Treats recipes and crafts for the whole family, June 9 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
This is my fourth cookbook by Mrs. O'Connor. This one has craft ideas for the whole family to enjoy. Mrs. O'Connor writes in plain English with easy to understand recipes that help you get your children involved in the kitchen. There is a wide variety of dishes in this book. It's great. I hope she keeps them coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book for the Entire Family, April 26 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
Before I purchased this book, I was wondering how I was going to keep my kids entertained during the school break and how I was going to make Easter special. This book answered both of those questions perfectly. We made the crafts and tried the recipes. Everything turned out great! Thank you Jill O'Connor! I'm looking forward to seeing books by this author for other holidays as well. How about a Christmas book or even a summer/4th of July book?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition to the Collection, April 22 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
This was a fabulous find in my opinion! These ideas were simple enough for the average person to understand and succeed without being just for the kids. The whole family spent an entire rainy day experimenting with these ideas and having some wonderful quality time together. Ms. O'Connor gave us the guidelines for success but even the kids started to get new ideas in the process and go wild with their imaginations. Without this book we would have ended up with the same tired looking easter eggs, but now we have little unique works of art that the kids are so proud of! I have never seen so many children of such varying ages come together with so much enthusiam over eggs, decorations, and easter treats! BRAVO!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easter Fun For All Families, April 5 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
This book contains ninety-five pages of fun for the entire family. There are projects for all ages. The author notes specific projects for the youngest family members with violet colored illustrations. The projects are divided into three sections: Easter Fun, Easter Feasts, and Easter Sweets and Treats.
Easter Fun focuses on egg decorating from dying hardboiled eggs to decorating hand blown eggs. There is even a project for family members that are "too old" to decorate eggs, Japanese washi eggs. The author includes other fun ideas on ways to decorate baskets, tablecloths, and marzipan playdough.
Easter Feasts features three creative menus using a wide variety of food. The recipes are well written with detailed steps. Traditional Easter recipes such as baked ham with raspberry and Dijon glaze, leg of lamb, and hot cross buns are included along with innovative ideas such as red potato strudel and asparagus risotto.
Easter Sweets and Teats includes fun edible ideas for all ages from Easter basket cupcakes for the younger children to truffles for the older ones. It also contains simple decoration projects for the youngest such as Peter Cottontail finger puppets and fuzzy chicks.
This is the best Easter project book that I have found. It was full of both traditional and innovative projects. It has beautiful photographs that can be used as project guides. Families can anticipate a lifetime of fun Easter projects from this selection. It is a book that will continue to grow with your family.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for busy moms with small children, April 4 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
I LOVED THIS BOOK! AS A BUSY WORKING MOM WITH SMALL CHILDREN I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR CRAFTS AND RECIPES I CAN DO WITH THEM. ALL OF THE CRAFTS ARE EASY AND THE KIDS WON'T LOSE INTEREST. THE BUNNY CAKE MADE THEM LAUGH AND WE WILL BE MAKING IT FOR EASTER. I AM ALSO GOING TO MAKE THE POTATO STRUDEL. I AM GOING TO LOOK FOR ALL OF O'CONNORS BOOKS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Save Your Money, April 3 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
I returned the book. The ideas were tired and the bunny rabbit cake was absolutely amatuerish in appearance in my opinion. It was a good concept for a book but I felt that it should have offered more to bring a family closer together as they experienced the holiday or had some things in that were standout creative or unique. The book had torn tissue paper vases, blown eggs, etc. I have found more creative and unique ideas in the magazine Family Fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easter Treats:Recipies and Crafts for the Whole Family, March 31 2000
This review is from: Easter Treats (Paperback)
I did like this book. It was very easy to read and the step by step crafts where easy to follow. The recipies were a surprise to me and the ones I tried were very good. I am thinking about preapering some of the features for my family.

ARRAY(0xb7cf48c4)

Easter Treats
Easter Treats by J. O'CONNOR (Paperback - Jan. 15 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01