5.0 out of 5 stars Pictures worth a thousand words..., Jan. 23 2004
Kris (Seattle, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I love this book! It is beautiful, from the substantial cloth hard cover to the stunning black and white photos and hilarious text within. Amazingly talented photographer, Tony Mendoza, shares with us wonderful photos and clever stories of his loftmate's cat, a sprightly cat named Ernie. Mendoza has a sharp wit and good sense of humor. It's not all about Ernie, we also catch a glimpse of what it is like to be a struggling artist in New York City, determined to succeed. I received my copy of "Ernie" as a birthday gift. Since then, I have given it to other friends and they were equally delighted and amused. Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars subversive B&W kitty charm, Dec 27 2003
M "greenery" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
Snide friends with a soft spot for kitties will love this book. Mendoza's brief commentary and "quotes" from the cat are on the left side of the page, wonderful black & white photos on the right. All of the photos are good; some made me guffaw. Ernie is a tough, handsome, wacko, shrewd cat, and I like the fact that my purchase of this book means that someone can sit around an apartment for two years taking cat pictures and still make a decent buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats aren't only cute, Aug. 15 2003
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
As you'll be able to see from this "memoir", cats are not only cute but also fierce, funny, witty, courageous and flexible. Tony Mendoza photographs his cat Ernie as Ernie is simply being a cat of his own. The photographs show exactly how cats are, without the cheesiness or patronizing cuteness.

Ernie's definitely a cat with character. I own two cats that bear similar markings to Ernie's and I only wish a skilled photographer such as Tony Mendoza would document their lives. Even if you don't like cats, the photography is astounding without being pretentious.

It is a great book to read to your cats at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars tony is great, May 2 2003
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
after meeting tony and having him speak to our photography classes I really apriciate his work and really learn to look at what is happing in photography. I need the incorperation of text to look at other peoples work now. Tony should have recieved much more credit for everything he has done, and this book is a glipse at the way I think he see's the world. It is really peaceful but It is best read by the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, March 10 2002
Karen K. Hart (Austin, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
As my husband and I flipped through this book, he kept asking, "Do we need to get this?" and I kept saying, "No." But then we got to one of the funniest pictures I've ever seen, and I was laughing too hard to say no again. We bought the book, and everyone I've shown it to thinks it's very clever.
I'm generally opposed to putting words in nonhuman animals' mouths, but at least Mendoza isn't cutesy about what Ernie might have to say. The book is really entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cat's meow!, March 7 2002
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
While I was browsing in a Virgin MegaStore last week, my attention was snagged by the cover of this book. I couldn't leave without looking through the entire thing.
Not only are the photographs wonderful, but the comments by Mr. Mendoza are delightly wry.
I am not a "cat person" per-se, but I not only bought this book as a gift for a cat-loving friend, but I also bought a copy for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a charming book, Feb. 13 2002
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
ernie deserves a place both on your shelf and in your heart. mendoza wonderfully captures ernie's feline nature. i smile every time i read it! for ten bucks, it's easily the cheapest cup of cheer you can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ernie for all, Jan. 25 2002
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
there is hardly a better work than ernie - this book delights even doglovers. it's witty, charming, and the new edition is beautifully published. an excellent gift for photography or cat fans. no bookshelf is complete if it lacks ernie. having a bad day? see the "newspaper" image. enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Cats? You'll LOVE Ernie, Jan. 7 2002
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
Tony captures everything that is unique to cats, humorous to humans and the lay out and style of the book is superb! Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars captures one cat's crazed gleam perfectly, Sept. 3 2001
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I read a copy of this book years ago and have looked around for it ever since. Thankfully it is now in reprint, in a very lovely green hardcover with extra photographs.
The pictures are striking because they capture that insane and inspired behavior that every cat owner sees at home-- the stealth attacks, the crazed looks, the unprovoked acts of total weirdness displayed by the typical cat, and usually impossible to describe or capture, but Mendoza did a great job of it with Ernie. I remembered these photographs for years after I saw them the first time.

Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir
Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir by Tony Mendoza (Hardcover - April 1 2001)
CDN$ 15.95 CDN$ 11.51