5.0 out of 5 stars A must for cat lovers and photography enthusiasts!, June 27 2001
Daisy E. Brisco "dbrisco@gmail.com" (Lakewood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I had always meant to buy a copy of this book ever since I read its review on People magazine several years ago (I think it was around the time when Socks was still in the news and the magazine reviewed a bunch of cat-related books to commemorate the First Cat). Sadly, by that time the book was out of print (I tried calling a few stores and they hadn't even heard of the title!) and I'd just about given up. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found Ernie's startled appearance on a shelf as I was browsing in an L.A. bookstore this past weekend! Needless to say, I grabbed the last copy, took it home, and was not disappointed! No, Ernie is not the cute kitty next door; rather, he's a seasoned hunter with New York smarts and attitude to boot (or at least that's what Mendoza's photography and accompanying text would have us believe!). If you're in the market for a wisecracking tuxedo cat who's firmly in touch with his wild side, get a copy of this book and be entertained! (Mendoza's brief account of his two-year relationship with Ernie makes for an interesting read also.)

5.0 out of 5 stars What cat lovers love about cats, Aug. 23 2001
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
The great thing about this book is that the photos in it are not cutesy kitty shots. Mendoza lived with Ernie the cat for 2 years and he really captures the cat's personality in these images. You know how sometimes your cat gets this weird look in her eye and then goes flying off at top speed to attack something that you can't even see? That crazed energy? That's the mood that Mendoza captures in his photographs. Ernie has striking facial expressions which look great on film. The photos remind me of the wild and crazy things my own cats used to do -- that's why I think this book is a GREAT gift for cat owners. The picture of Ernie attacking Tony's hand with his mouth spread wide -- as if he could actually eat his whole hand if he tried hard enough -- priceless. Also, FYI, there is text accompanying most of the photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible collection of Mendoza, Don't miss it this time!, March 8 2001
Krisztina Li (Hong Kong, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I was attracted by this greenish hard-covered book with a startled look of a feline, called Ernie. Cats have millions of expressions but you are not going to forget this one, and those inside the book. Living with Ernie for 2 years, Mendoza grasped the essence of this special cat with his talent in photography. All the photos are black & white, together with the thoughts of the photographer and Ernie's himself. I am impressed by the photo on page 77 - Ernie was jumping to catch the left hand of Mendoza (while he took the photo with the other hand). It gives me the thought of "When you target on something, go for it!". I admire the brave of cats. When you have read through the book, you would probably like me - become a fan of Ernie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats aren't only cute, Aug. 15 2003
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
As you'll be able to see from this "memoir", cats are not only cute but also fierce, funny, witty, courageous and flexible. Tony Mendoza photographs his cat Ernie as Ernie is simply being a cat of his own. The photographs show exactly how cats are, without the cheesiness or patronizing cuteness.

Ernie's definitely a cat with character. I own two cats that bear similar markings to Ernie's and I only wish a skilled photographer such as Tony Mendoza would document their lives. Even if you don't like cats, the photography is astounding without being pretentious.

It is a great book to read to your cats at bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pictures worth a thousand words..., Jan. 23 2004
Kris (Seattle, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I love this book! It is beautiful, from the substantial cloth hard cover to the stunning black and white photos and hilarious text within. Amazingly talented photographer, Tony Mendoza, shares with us wonderful photos and clever stories of his loftmate's cat, a sprightly cat named Ernie. Mendoza has a sharp wit and good sense of humor. It's not all about Ernie, we also catch a glimpse of what it is like to be a struggling artist in New York City, determined to succeed. I received my copy of "Ernie" as a birthday gift. Since then, I have given it to other friends and they were equally delighted and amused. Beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars captures one cat's crazed gleam perfectly, Sept. 2 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
I read a copy of this book years ago and have looked around for it ever since. Thankfully it is now in reprint, in a very lovely green hardcover with extra photographs.
The pictures are striking because they capture that insane and inspired behavior that every cat owner sees at home-- the stealth attacks, the crazed looks, the unprovoked acts of total weirdness displayed by the typical cat, and usually impossible to describe or capture, but Mendoza did a great job of it with Ernie. I remembered these photographs for years after I saw them the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, March 10 2002
Karen K. Hart (Austin, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
As my husband and I flipped through this book, he kept asking, "Do we need to get this?" and I kept saying, "No." But then we got to one of the funniest pictures I've ever seen, and I was laughing too hard to say no again. We bought the book, and everyone I've shown it to thinks it's very clever.
I'm generally opposed to putting words in nonhuman animals' mouths, but at least Mendoza isn't cutesy about what Ernie might have to say. The book is really entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars subversive B&W kitty charm, Dec 26 2003
M "greenery" (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
Snide friends with a soft spot for kitties will love this book. Mendoza's brief commentary and "quotes" from the cat are on the left side of the page, wonderful black & white photos on the right. All of the photos are good; some made me guffaw. Ernie is a tough, handsome, wacko, shrewd cat, and I like the fact that my purchase of this book means that someone can sit around an apartment for two years taking cat pictures and still make a decent buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars tony is great, May 2 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
after meeting tony and having him speak to our photography classes I really apriciate his work and really learn to look at what is happing in photography. I need the incorperation of text to look at other peoples work now. Tony should have recieved much more credit for everything he has done, and this book is a glipse at the way I think he see's the world. It is really peaceful but It is best read by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cat's meow!, March 7 2002
This review is from: Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir (Hardcover)
While I was browsing in a Virgin MegaStore last week, my attention was snagged by the cover of this book. I couldn't leave without looking through the entire thing.
Not only are the photographs wonderful, but the comments by Mr. Mendoza are delightly wry.
I am not a "cat person" per-se, but I not only bought this book as a gift for a cat-loving friend, but I also bought a copy for myself.

Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir
Ernie: A Photographer's Memoir by Tony Mendoza (Hardcover - April 1 2001)
CDN$ 15.95 CDN$ 11.51