5.0 out of 5 stars Stressed parents need buy.................................
Published on July 9 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Imitation of Miss Manners
Published on April 17 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Stressed parents need buy................................., July 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting (Paperback)
I love this book!!! As a first time parent of a now seven month old baby girl, many people are surprised at my laid back yet firm approach to parenting. This book captures my feel for the way I want to raise my child with so much wit and humor, I find myself laughing out loud while reading it!!! I have reccomended this book to every parent and parent-to-be that I know. Any "uptight" mom and dad should read this!! We were here first!! We get so overwhelmed as parents trying to raise smart, healthy, and safe children we forget to take time for ourselves and RELAX and enjoy our children. We also forget that WE are the PARENTS and WE run the show. Even if you don't have kids this book should be read.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Funny Because it's So True, June 29 2004
By A Customer
When I saw the title of this book I was hooked and the contents have not let me down. I have been in so many situations that Mellor writes about (turns out the east coast of Florida is an exact replica of LA).
When I bought this book I was just looking to be entertained but I find myself actually being encouraged to make sensible decisions for my children. The only downside is that my family is sick of me reading excerpts aloud to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and charming, April 22 2004
superba (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Finally, a grownup view of parenting, delivered with humor and insight. Christie Mellor delivers a subtle message of fairness and balance, envisioning an ideal household where grownups' wishes are given equal time with those of children. This means raising children not only to behave well, but to develop a working sense of justice. As comical as the book is, I think Mellor has given voice to an important set of values that deserve our attention. I hope the issues raised in The Three-Martini Playdate will be discussed in the media.
From a delighted parent.
p.s. As a big fan of Miss Manners (and now Miss Mellor), I was surprised to see the [comparison]. Judith Martin's humor relies on an imperturbably ladylike primness and pedantry; Mellor is far more slapstick, loopy and fun. Buy both, and see for yourself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Parents, May 1 2004
Finally! A voice of reason cries out! What an eye opener! How did these little terror tykes get hold of the keys to the asylum? Ms. Mellor gives 21st century parents plenty of common sense advice along with hilarious, highly useful, and practical information about dealing with the little people. The book unfolds with wonderful wit, warmth, and affection. A real hoot for even the crabby old bachelor or stuffy spinster who lives across the street. A must if you know at least one kid and you really to laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh, the good old days, May 22 2004
John C. Mc Donnell (Marina del Rey, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Christie Mellor provides a wonderfully funny view of life with children then and now. Seeing the reality of the now makes you yearn for the good old days of our youth. She also provides the delightful illustrations on the cover and throughout the book.
She's right on when it comes to the parents of today and hilarious in her reminicences of the child rearing of the past. A great read. Highly recommended to anyone with kids AND a sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, April 9 2004
By A Customer
This book is right on! It's a humerous look at child-rearing. I am eight months pregnant and I work in education. I am constantly exposed to spoiled kids, over-the-top parents, and many of the stereotypes Mellor writes about in the book. I already know what kind of parent I DON'T want to be, and Mellor's book just confirms it. It's a great laugh!

5.0 out of 5 stars The snarky parent's guide to raising kids, April 6 2004
Douglas Lang (Springfield, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Finally a no-nonsense book about raising children: Spare the snark, spoil the child. The author gives a hilarious discourse on such topics as school projects, manners, and bedtime. Her children will likely grow up to be self-sufficient - will yours? Read this book and they'll have a chance...or at least they'll grow up to be good bartenders.

5.0 out of 5 stars definitely a five-olive read!, April 6 2004
By A Customer
i read this during my son's naptime as my four-year-old was insisting I help dress her Polly Pockets...and laughed so hard i nearly wet my pants! A must-read for anyone with children! Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes having kids sound fun!, May 12 2004
Reading Christie Mellor's take on being a mom made me want to run out and have some kids of my own. She manages to be both hilarious and wise, and I now wish I drank so I could have a martini and be like her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Imitation of Miss Manners, April 17 2004
By A Customer
The title is hilarious, but once you get past this, it's a second-rate [version] of a writing style perfected by Judith Martin in books like "Miss Manner's Guide to Raising Perfect Children." Mellor's comic references to children serving their hard-working parents cocktails are amusing at first, but soon grow tiresome. Mellor comically enshrines alcohol consumption as the ultimate adult pleasure. But she ignores the unfunny, dangerous and skyrocketing issue of binge drinking among teenagers, which this book could inadvertently reinforce. I realize Mellor's intent is not serious, but it underscores the wrong values. This book would never sell if it were called, "The Three-Marlboro Playdate" and emphasized the joys of parents smoking cigarettes together while their well-bred children provided ashtrays, dumped the butts, and then ran along to play among themselves.
(...)

The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting by Christie Mellor (Paperback - March 15 2004)
CDN$ 15.95 CDN$ 11.51