Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout biss Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

on May 6, 2011
When I first got this book I was a little bit disappointed as there were not much pictures and demonstrations like my other Bakery Handbooks. Later the more I read it the more I like it. I enjoyed reading every recipe as it has an interesting short story at the beginning. Even I am an experience baker; I could still get something new from the book that I have never noticed before. Because of Joanne's generosity sharing FLOUR Recipes with readers, I could make and test those goodies from Toronto instead of driving to Boston. I highly recommended this book to my family and friends.

Wishing Joanne has a great success in her next book and don't forget to add more pictures to it.

Kelly
on August 9, 2011
This book is a collection of recipes from the Flour Bakery which first opened in Boston (MA) back in 2000. The drool worthy photographs help to create a whimsical, almost retro feel to the book that takes nothing away from the professional quality of the recipes. Each page is full of Joanne Chang's passion for baking and her continued fascination with the transformations that take place when you combine simple ingredients like flour, sugar, eggs and butter. It is written in a casual manner, full of personal memories and anecdotes that will put even the most inexperienced baker at ease while preparing pâte feuilletée for the first time. Helpful baking tips are written in a clear, descriptive manner making intimidating techniques relatable for bakers of all levels. Lists of fundamental baking equipment and pantry essentials are also included, and ingredient amounts for recipes are given in both volume and weight measurements.

The cookbook market has always been inundated with baking books. So what makes Flour stand out from the herd? Clearly written recipes that produce successful results and include a variety of treats that range from a simple peanut butter cookie to more high-falutin' creations such as Hazelnut-Almond Dacquoise. I dare you to open this book and instantly not want to make everything. In fact, I double dog dare you!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 24, 2012
This truly is a bakery book. From scones, brioche to cakes with butter cream icing, croissants, home made pop tarts and oreos...cookies, etc. The recipes are delicious and impressive. Some are very simple, while others may take a few days with dough rising and such. It's more time consuming, but not too difficult to do. Instructions are clear and easy to understand. Many nice photos. I can't find any recipe in this book that I don't want to make. I have made several of the cakes and have impressed my dinner guests. The carrot cake comes out perfectly, with a flat surface that is easy to ice. The Fluffy Chocolate Icing, Yum....will be using that on other cakes. The book begins with one chapter of information that is very helpful. After that, it's ALL recipes.
on February 10, 2012
When I first got this book, I drooled over all the pictures and recipes. Once I started baking it only got better, everything I have made has been absolutely amazing. The yellow birthday cake with chocolate ganache frosting blew me away, seriously the best cake I have ever tasted. I can't reccoment this book enough every recipe is a crowd pleaser.
on January 7, 2014
The cookbook looks very good and the cover with the Sticky Sticky Buns is the reason I purchased it but have not had the time to try the recipe but hope to later in the month. The recipes go into a lot of detail and time but if they turn out as good as they look then they are worth it.
TB
on March 25, 2015
It's an awesome book. I tried a lot of recipes and they all worked fine. I've a lot of baking books and I'm now tired of being disappointed by lots of great looking books. There and too many baking books and I'd say just one out of 10 is good.
I could tell Joanne really spent a lot of time for home bakers and showed a realistic, yummy and foolproof recipes.
She knows what recipes can turn out well and be loved and I think she tried with normal homebaking oven.
I truly respect this cuz some books are just about making money and I can smell that they were quickly written by a someone not by a chef her or himself to make money with nice looking cover. This is the top book among all other fancy pastry books.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2013
I've only made one recipe so far but it came out perfect and was the best banana bread I ever tasted. She explains details to novice and experienced bakers. Can't wait to try out the rest.
on September 19, 2014
Best dessert recipe book that I have in my library. Joann Chang is brilliant. I am busy working my way through the recipes,
Her currant scones and Brioche are to die for.
on April 27, 2013
très belles recettes, explications faciles mais j'aurais aimé un peu plus de photos pour toutes ces délicieuses pâtisseries!
Dès la première recette.ce fût un succès!
on January 21, 2014
I really like the way Joanne provides some of the background behind some of the recipes and so far, every recipe I've tried has been delicious.