4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Robert Jordan!
Published on April 17 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO LONG
How can anyone call Tolkein a "lesser" author, let alone put Jordan above him? Comparisons aside, the first book of the series "Eye of the World" was very good, and I enjoyed it immensely: it had interesting characters, a plot that moved forward with direction and purpose, and a definite borrowing from other traditions that lent it the weight of...
Published on March 15 1997

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Robert Jordan!, April 17 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wheel of Time, Boxed Set I, Books 1-3: The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn (Mass Market Paperback)
Robert Jordan writes an excellent fantasy. His first few books of Wheel of Time were of high quality in both characters and plot development. However he stretched this series out far too long. The plot and characters have become quite predictable, which usually proves deadly for a fantasy series. In my estimation , Jordan ranks very high on the quality author list, but still a couple of steps below Tolkein who is still the benchmark for all epic fantasy work

5.0 out of 5 stars Get off the wheel, get on the wheel, we really don't care, Jan. 22 2003
For those of you looking for a great series, this is the set for you. Robert Jordan has pieced together an epic story. The Wheel of Time dwarfs Star Wars and has a richness that leaves Tolkien behind. Yes, Robert Jordan does have a hard time working with details. He is quite wordy, and not necessarily the best writer. But for those of you who are older than 10 years old, you should have figured out by now that, in order to tell a great story, you don't have to be the best writer. Jordan is an excellent writer, he weaves a rich world full of characters that will make you laugh and cry. He describes everything with a detail you can almost see, feel, hear and smell.
Compared to anyone else out there writing fantasy, Jordan takes the cake. Slow to start? Yes. Difficult to follow? Sometimes. Weak Characters? Are you crazy? Intense Depth and Drama? Absolutely! Jordan takes you through the highs and lows, and by the time you reach the fourth book, you will find yourself arguing with Nynaeve or Rand, of waiting to see what the Forsaken are planning next. This series is captivating at the least.
la_solinas says that the Dragon Prophecies are obvious and that the WoT (Wheel of Time) world is too complex. But then la-solinas also reviews books like "Pinnochio", and "The Complete Jeeves and Wooster Mega Set" alongside "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Shakespeare"??? C'mon, who are you gonna listen to?
Robert Jordan may not impress everyone, but except for here on amazon.com, I have yet to meet a single person who has read any of the Wot series and not loved it. In fact, I have personally purchased over 7 copies of the first book to give and loan out to friends and family and have hooked 20+ people to Jordans series. Currently I am on Book Four: The Shadow Rising, I am reading the series for my fourth time now.
On a side note... If you will check out Terry Brooks the Sword of Truth series, you will find a VERY similiar setting. In fact, I would think one of them would sue the other for copyright infringement. Their books are VERY similiar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wheel of time ,by Robert Jordan, is an excellent series., Feb. 7 1997
By A Customer
The Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan, is an excellent, evolving story about a group of people trying to save thier world form Shia'tan, The Dark One. The story starts out with a small group of people preparing for a feast day in thier villege when a group of trollocs and mydrals attacks.
From that point it cronicals the ever winding webs of intrigue detailing the involvement of each caracter in the epic struggle.
Be prepared to wait for the next book, book seven arrived in 1996, book eight projected in 1998.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Fantasy Buffs., Aug. 20 2014
I loved every single one of these books. I moved through them in no time at all. With the perfect mix of magic, adventure, conflict and character development, these books are sure to please fans of the fantasy genre. When I made it through this entire series, I was quite tempted to start from the beginning, although I wanted to read Robert Jordan's Conan the Barbarian novels.

Definitely pick this up if you want a good series to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but long, Jan. 21 2015
I enjoyed this book however I feel that the story just drags on. The books are very long books (range of 800 pages?) Lots of descriptions which would fill a book if there is not action to add to the story but in this case there is plenty of action. It is a different story line and you are not too sure the outcome. This is good since you are interested in continuing to read to find out what happens. The "One Power" seems to mimic the "the Force" in Star Wars however supposedly deadly for the male and perfect for the female to use as a weapon. I feel that Rand is a really whiner. And he does it over and over again. It is a bit tiring. One more thing. I am not sure that this is really the fist book in the series. There is another called "New Spring" which seems to set the stage for the series. We find out about how the key women come into play and what actually happened in the "previous battle" centuries ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars A staple in the Fantasy genre, Nov. 4 2014
Wade A - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I picked up the first book from a thrift store for no more than a dollar, after reading it I decided to buy the first trilogy new. It was a great and unique story that flushed in many aspects of fantasy writing with an eastern lore feel. A wonderful, yet at times confusing read which is why I'm glad the books include a glossary in the back to help explain some of the things said in the book. A wonderful series that has made itself a permanent name in the world of Fantasty.

5.0 out of 5 stars As The Wheel Wills, March 25 2003
Earrandil (Phoenix, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I was told about this book from one of my teachers and, in the week since I started reading the series, I have already read the first two books. They take the reader and make you feel like your part of the story. Every character is described subtly, yet in full detail, no matter what la solinas thinks. The reader is pulled off on a wild adventure that takes you everywhere. You never know what is going to happen next, just when you think it has hit it's climax, it gets even better. I have read both THe Lord Of The Rings and The Sword Of Shannara numerous times, and, if you liked these two series, you will fall in love with WOT. Many of the ideas in the series are the same as Brooks and Tolkien's but Jordan puts a whole new twist on things. The people and places are unforgettable and you are gauranteed to find yourself taking sides with many of the characters. I just can't wait to get my hands on the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series worth the time to read., July 29 1999
By A Customer
I'm one of the fortunate followers of WOT I began my experience this year{june 1999} while waiting at a library for my son . I kept extending his aloted time there ,at the expence of my wife's wrath, just to read the first book. I finished it that night at home . Wen't to the bookstore next day and was fortunate to acquire this and the rest of the books that brought me to speed on the remaining series finished them in a week and was hungry for more . Mr jordan I praise your style of writing, and wait with anticipation for the next installment{book 9} please do it soon .As I predict at least two books{from book 8} till the end of the series my mind is wild with speculation ,and sick with anticipation . BTW anyone with a hint to the title to book 9 I will enbrace your speculations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best series I've ever read, July 22 1999
By A Customer
The Wheel of Time is an extraordinary world that Robert Jordan has created for all of us to enjoy. It is captivating and brilliant. Once you pick up the books you can't put them down. You become involved in the lives of each character. You feel for them and can see what they see thru their eyes. Robert Jordan has created a magnificant world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best fantasy series ever, excellent!, June 17 1999
By A Customer
Jordan's characters consistently develop, there is always something going on to keep you up at night reading. The twists and turns in the plot keep you on your toes and thinking about the books all the time, but there's only one thing wrong. It's impossible to wait for the next one to come out!

CDN$ 31.97 CDN$ 20.04