Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Reliquary
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$10.43+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star)show all reviews
on August 1, 1998
I loved "Relic" and was hoping the sequel would measure up. But, while Preston and Child dredge up many of the same characters from their terrific debut novel, this one is amazingly lacking in style or energy. Characters like Margo, Pendergast and Kawakita -- so well drawn and genuinely surprising in Relic -- are tired and less interesting here. So are the monsters. Throughout Relic, the authors revealed a strong sense of the monster and its character, even while they protected the mystery of it. The foul-smelling snuffling creature, roaming the halls of such a well-known building, was a fantastically weird image. But in Reliquary, the reader never gets a sense of what these monsters are like. Besides that, the writers can't really match the museum setting with all their subways and deep sea septage diving. In all, I found it difficult to suspend my disbelief. And because the story was so boring, I didn't really want to.
I wouldn't say Reliquary is a total f! ailure. The writers do try to introduce some new ideas, and some were interesting. I was intrigued by the phenomenonon of the mole people, for instance, and the difficult-to-read Anette Wisher was a good character -- but the writers don't follow these people to satisfying conclusions. I hope their next venture is more in keeping with their Relic success.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on June 27, 1998
Since I loved "Relic", I was very excited when I saw "Reliquary". Don't bother reading this one. Rehashes things from the first book -- gives you "revelations" that were discovered in "Relic". The characters weren't fleshed out -- very two dimensional. And the ending.... RIDICULOUS!!!! The only thing I liked about his book was the fact that Pendergast plays a more central role, and I did like him. I had to force myself to finish this book -- maybe I shouldn't have, I would probably have liked it better if I didn't!!!! Read their "Mount Dragon" if you liked Relic. MD is not as good, but definitely better than "Reliquary".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again