1,750 Reviews
 (1,443)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better after the film
Saw the film. Got curious, bought the book and was really surprise. It explains a lot and I could not put the book down. Well written, complicated, yet simple to read. A must.
Published 6 months ago by ET

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
Different. Not what I thought it would be when I bought it. But interesting enough to carry on to the sequel.
Published 9 months ago by Lee Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars Better after the film, Dec 24 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Rightfully considered a masterpiece, Feb. 19 2006
William E. Hunter "Ummagumma" (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ender's Game (Paperback)
For years I've wanted to read this book; it is considered one of the classic works of SF. Recently I did, and surprisingly enough, I wasn't disappointed.

It tells the story of Andrew Wiggin, the Third child of a family living in a future, overpopulated world where families are restricted to only two offspring; except where traits of extraordinary intelligence in the youngsters leads the government to believe that a budding military genius might be in the offing, one who can lead the armies of the Earth in a hopeless battle against a ruthless Alien species. Andrew, nicknamed Ender by his loving sister Valentine and despised by his sadistic brother Peter, shows so much promise that he is whisked away at the tender age of six to an orbiting Battle School by military men unsure whether he will even survive the training, let alone actual battle.

While author OSC maintains a sparse descriptive style with the surroundings, he concentrates on filling out Ender into a living, breathing person of many facets who we feel deeply for as he is thrown into a grinding military program out to wring the last bit of humanity from him.

I loved how easily this book read, while at the same time presenting some serious ethical issues and allowing us to truly enter the mind of a child progeny and experience his arduous journey along side him. I'm not the only one as well; my wife, curious as to what was keeping my nose in the book for long stretches at a time, perused the first few pages and then delved headlong into the book right behind me. I ended up fighting for reading time just so I could finish before her!

Ender's Game is a terrific read; being touching, rollicking, and insightful all at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Feb. 28 2014
Ryan Scragg (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
One of the better books I have read in my life. This was my third read through it and I will probably read it again. Very well written, especially about Enders feelings and emotions throughout the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is awesome I love it, Dec 23 2013
Bruce (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
How their are so many swears in Enders game
I liked ender's game theirs so many. Details it' so awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I remembered it, only deeper, Dec 19 2013
I read Ender's Game when I was 20. Now, 23 years later it has all the same memories but now the characters and stories mean so much more. A great read then. A better read now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enders game, Dec 19 2013
This book is my favourite book.I would reccomend tthis book to anyone.This book is awsome i read it in 2 days.This book is exciting but also sad i almost cried in the begging

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Dec 18 2013
L. D. "L. D" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Perhaps it was the fact that the main character Ender (Andrew Wiggin) is a INFJ (net research found that result) that I really connected with the character. It was a good read though the ending a bit surprising when you lose count of how far you read into the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Emotional Ride, June 21 2014
Heather (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had been meaning to read this book for a while now and after getting a really great deal at bookoutlet.ca (see link below) I had no more excuses to not. I'm glad I did. I knew very little about this book other than many people loved it and it was better than the movie (which I haven't seen either).

The book follows Ender during his training, although from time to time diverts back to Earth and follows Valentine (Ender's sister). I enjoyed the break when it did happen. It never felt forced and you didn't lose sight of the main object of the book (having Ender grow up and start the 3rd war). In these breaks you learned more about Valentine and her never ending love she has for Ender, despite feeling sidetracked and maybe even like a traitor. Ender is a 3rd in a world where a 3rd child is not an option. The government sanctioned him in order to create a perfect fighter/commander. My feelings towards Ender, as a character, varied. One minute I felt sorry for him, since he is only a child and was an outcast only for being born as a 3rd and very smart. The next minute I was wondering whether or not he is completely insane and maybe even a psychopath, specifically after a ruthless fight between him and a couple of bullies. There were many times throughout the book that I thought the adults were going too far, pushing Ender past his limits, but then he learns and succeeds and outsmarts them all. This book is an emotional ride, with ups and downs and surprises to no end. The two twists at the end were amazing and unexpected. I am hard pressed to find anything I didn't like about this book.

Near the end, I was hoping for more, but in this case it was just because it was a good book and not because the story was lacking any conclusions or felt rushed. I was suprised at how attached I became to this book and how quickly. Despite it being part of a quintet, I feel this can be a self-contained book. It had a begining and an ending. In a sense it does leave it open for the remainders of the books; however, it does not feel as open ended as more recent books do when they plan on continuing a series.

I was debating about what to rate it, going back and forth between 4.5 and 5 because I just hadn't obsorbed it all yet. In the end I did love this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who can handle violence between children (although I believe it had way less violence than the Hunger Games!).

5.0 out of 5 stars OMGoodness!, May 18 2014
I had pretty much no interest in sci-fi and yet this turned out to quite possibly be the best book I have ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars very engaging, May 13 2014
Loved the book. Had a hard time putting this one down. Can't wait to read the others in the series.

Ender's Game
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Mass Market Paperback - July 15 1994)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49