5.0 out of 5 stars A classic
Although wildly different from Ender's game, it manages to create a delicious symmetry between the two and by the end might very well be the better book. The characters and the philosophy get stuck in your head weeks after the final page is turned.
Published 1 month ago by J. Semeniuk

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the translation
Lost in the translation, or lack of it. Riddled with foreign language quotes and no translation. Not enjoyable. Interesting concept.
Published 2 months ago by l beaven

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars This is no Ender's Game, March 18 2002
S. Buckingham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, but Orson S. Card totally missed the target when he wrote this book and went way off course. Instead of trying to continue with the Characters, Orson tried to write and invent a new science and new vocabular. Interesting work, but where are the characters from Ender's Game!! Don't waste you time, just re-read Ender's Game again and let the story end there!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Speaker for the Dead, Dec 18 2001
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
Despite what people are saying, this book really isn't that great. I mean it is okay, but don't read it if you expect something like Ender's Game. Some of it is very good and interesting, but the book is boring sometimes. It is worth reading if you really want to read it. Go to the library and check it out. If you did happen to read this book, whether or not you liked it, I don't suggest reading Zenocide. I am waiting to get Children of the Mind, so I can't say anything about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very distrubing and destroys what the first book sets up, July 25 2001
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
The character Ender has grown some 20 years while the universe around him has aged 3,000 years since he fought in the Bugger War. What I loved about the first book is the strong connection of love between Ender and Valentine, which had moved me to tears. However in the second installment, this bond between brother and sister is ripped apart when Ender again decides to travel, leaving his sister behind. I couldn't stand to read the book any longer, and put it away. That bond that I looked forward to reading about was ripped apart, and I couldn't continue. It is a lousy book, which i do not recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardly a fitting sequel, March 5 2000
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
If not being compared to Ender's Game this could be a star or two higher, but that's the price one pays for trying to follow up on something that amazing. Mr. Card's greatest gift in the previous novel was characterization, and in Speaker for the Dead, that seems to have all gone out the window. Maybe it's the increased number of people to keep track of, maybe it's the plot's complexity, but I went away wondering where the Ender I had known so well had gone in those years between the two novels, and more importantly, why there was no one around to replace him. Some vague attempts were made to fill out Novinha and her family, but they were stretched too thin to be effective. The plot is considerably more complex than the previous novels, and it includes some very intriguing concepts. If you knew enough about the characters to really care what happened to them, the story could been much more effective.
My overall advice is that if you really enjoyed Ender's Game, skip this and go straight to Ender's Shadow.

1.0 out of 5 stars UGH!!!!!, April 25 1999
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
Ender's Game is me and my best freinds favorite book ever. This book, however, was unbearably atrocious. There were maybe three sentences with the faintest hint of some remote, indirect quality. The only thing good about this book is that without it, the best book ever would not exist in the form of a novel/Novella, simply a series of stories in Analog SF magazine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity isn't judged by biology alone, Dec 31 2010
Ria (Bibliotropic) (Saint John, New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
Some argue that this book was superior in all ways to Ender's Game. I agree that the story was wonderful, detailed, mysterious, and well-researched, and overall I'd say it was a very powerful novel. Stylistically, this one's superior.

I still enjoyed reading Ender's Game more, though.

Don't get me wrong. Speaker for the Dead is a wonderful novel, and I'm glad to have read it. The book before it just appealed to my interests more. That being said, though, it's interesting to see just how Ender grew up, how he became a different person and yet still showed signs of the killer-child he used to be.

I'm still a sucker for cultural relativism, though, and this book had that in spades. What might be appalling to us is perfectly normal, even respected within other cultures, and learning to see past ourselves is very often the key to solving the mystery and understanding others. The way Card handled the killings of the humans by the piggies was wonderful to read, and trying to solve it kept me amused through the book. ("Is this why they did it? Or maybe because of this?")

I applaud the man for the research that he put into the writing of this novel, in linguistics and anthropology and biology. The little details made everything so believable, so realistic, that when his smooth writing style drew me in, I forgot everything around me.

4.0 out of 5 stars `No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless.', Nov. 25 2010
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
Three thousand years ago, Ender Wiggin completely destroyed the alien race known as the Buggers. Ender disappeared after and was reviled for this xenocide: the total destruction of the only other known race of sentient beings known in the galaxy. A powerful voice - the Speaker for the Dead - came to be heard: telling the true story of the Bugger War.

A new race of beings was discovered on the recently settled planet of Lusitania. This discovery, of a race the humans called the Pequininos, (also known as `the Piggies') was seen as an opportunity to atone for the destruction of the Buggers. And thus, to avoid any tragic misunderstandings that might lead to war, strict rules have been put in place to prevent the human colonists from influencing the evolution of the piggies. Only trained xenobiologists are permitted to interact with the Piggies, and contact is limited.

`The piggies were not to be disturbed.'

Over time, two xenobiolologists are killed by the Piggies in what appears to be a bizarre fashion. One consequence of each death is that a Speaker for the Dead is called for a different member of the colony. A Speaker is summoned, and travels to Lusitania. In order to speak for the dead, he also has to understand the living and this includes both the Piggies and the human colonists.

It happens that the Speaker who responds to the request is the original Speaker for the Dead, Ender Wiggin himself, and he has another mission as well.

`On his starship, Ender Wiggin had no notion of the freight of other people's dreams he carried with him.'

I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel to `Ender's Game', and am looking forward to reading the third novel in this series. This book could be read and enjoyed on its own, but I'd strongly recommend reading the series in order. Orson Scott Card has created a fierce, complex world occupied by beings with a mixture of historical, contemporary and likely future problems.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, July 28 2009
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
I read Ender's Game about 2 years before I picked up Speaker for the Dead. I did have to reread the last chapter of Ender's Game to refresh my mind about what had happened. The book picks up right after the events of the first book. The actual story seems to move slowly, but that's what kept forcing me to read the next chapter. The real secret about Card's books is the time he devotes to character development, and this book is no different. I highly recommend the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but..., June 4 2005
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a good book and I really enjoyed it...when I finally got into it. It took me a LONG time to get interested in the book. I loved Ender's Game which was why I wanted to read the rest of the sequels. However, the beginning of the book here was just slow and boring. It was no until 1/2 way through that I really started to enjoy it. Overall, this was an excellent book, which is why I'm giving it a 4-star rating. You just need a lot of patience to get to the good part. I have gone on and read the rest of the series. Although I own the books, I don't know if I'll ever read the sequels again, simply because I don't know if I can get through the slow parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books Ever, July 15 2004
Shon Tamblyn (Carmichael, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Speaker for the Dead (Mass Market Paperback)
SPEAKER FOR THE DEAD, along with ENDER'S GAME both rate as some of the best books ever written.
I remember when I discovered SPEAKER as a freshman in high school. Ender's Game had been one of my favorites since childhood, and over the years I had heard rumors of a second in the saga. On a school trip I entered a book store and discovered not only was there a second book in the Ender Series, but a third. I felt like I had discovered a buried treasure. I rushed back to my hotel room, ripped open the front cover and was shocked by what I found.
Ender was no longer the child that I loved, but a 45 year old man. The book takes place 3000 years after the first (Ender is still alive due to almost constant near-light speed travel). Instead of being the savior of the world as he was in the first book, Ender is the equivallent of satan, and he is the one who wrote the "scripture" that is used against him. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the book.
To make a long story short...I loved the book, but it did take some getting used to, as I had grown very attached to a much younger and different character. The book had moved onto more of a philisophical tone, a tone that as a child I had completely overlooked (but is still present to a minor degree) in the first book. I can't say I completely understood the philosophy in this book, but the intrigue and mysteries that were unravled by Ender helped to keep my interest, and as I have read it many times over the years, social issues continue to emerge that I had not considered before.
After finishing SPEAKER, I tried to compare it to ENDER'S GAME. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Both book were great in their own way and it is extremely difficult to decide which book was actually better.
I leave it to you. Decide for yourself.

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›

Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 15 1994)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49