2,124 Reviews
 (1,367)

5.0 out of 5 stars !!!!!what????
After scanning multiple reviews which dismally dismissed this book as a never-ending, slow-moving, book with too much attention devoted to detail written by a money-hungry author, i have become so disgusted that i am writing my own review.
First of all, almost every review seems to think that Jordan is dragging out the series so long because he desires more...
Published on April 23 2004 by luk daily

1.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I Read The Whole Thing....
I waited eagerly for the coming of the tenth installment of this gargantuan series, but when I finally made the pilgrimage to the bookstore, handed over the $40 that I will never see again (note-this is one to borrow) I listlessly took it home. I placed it dutifully on my bookshelf, with all its' brothers and sisters, and there it stayed.
For almost two months...
Published on Oct. 2 2003 by Sarah King

1.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe I Read The Whole Thing...., Oct. 2 2003
Sarah King (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
For almost two months.
Now, it's not that I didn't want to read it. I was just, shall we say, apprehensive? As most of us know, dear old RJ has been slacking off in the most shameful manner, putting out in his last two volumes such slow moving, irrelevant drivel that I now cringing with embarrassment that I ever compared him to Tolkien. What was I thinking? I used to worship this man. I praised his inventiveness, his swift storytelling, and especially his magnificent characterization and ability to pull you into his web so that you felt you were there, taking part, one with the book. Do you remember the first inkling you had that Rand could channel? So thrilling. Or when Lan finally married Nynaeve? I rejoiced. Who could forget the epic chapter in which Moiraine sacrificed herself to kill Lanfear and save Rand? I practically needed therapy, I was so overwrought. What happened?
I shall tell you, as I have been pondering the downfall of the Wheel of Time for a while now. Mr. J. has quite simply spread himself too far over the world that he created. He introduced so many subplots, intrigues and conspiracies that he has lost his focus. Now, dozens of characters have apparently starring roles who should simply have been kept in the background, for colour. At this point if he were to tie up the hundreds (I do not exaggerate...hundreds) of loose ends he has tripped himself up with, the series would go on for another decade. Horrifying thought, isn't it?
Now he is stuck trying to make sense of the colossal maze in which he finds himself, wandering aimlessly, spitting out useless garbage about who is wearing what, why this raised eyebrow could mean disaster, the significance of weevils, and how weak tea tastes. Like we care.
Lastly, I am sure I am not the only female to have been happily surprised at the status women enjoyed in the early novels. The women were portrayed as strong, intelligent, powerful and far from helpless. In other words, not stereotypical. Now, Jordan's women are either utterly heartless, with no concern for anything but her own manipulative ways, or headstrong and foolish, with only a thin line separating her from outright stupidity. Furthermore, I am becoming more and more impatient with the way all of these women treat the men, as though they are useless, incompetent and needing to be 'carefully handled', lest they go astray. I have gone from being thankful that RJ did not portray women as helpless and frail, to sheer mortification at the behavior of his female characters, especially towards the male ones.
Mr. Jordan, do us a favour. Either wrap this series up with a snappy ending, ASAP, or just put it out of its misery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oy, with the skirt-smoothing and the braid-tugging!, May 13 2003
By A Customer
Egwhine smoothed her skirts and sat and pondered about the issue of what to do about the problem concerning matters involving the taking of the White Tower, first considered lo these many many pages ago. Then she had some mulled wine. But not just any mulled wine. This was the finest mulled wine in all of Randland, made from grapes that were as plump and ripe as the finest, sparkling cleavage and sparkled like a thousand silvery moons and that were trampled by feet as pretty as a thousand golden sunsets in the most gorgeous of all wooden tubs...
Meanwhile, Mat sat there and thought about things and how nice it would be to have a plump serving girl on each knee and a great deal of ale. And Perrin, finding many weevils, weevils of considerable size and ghastliness, in his breakfast cereal, considered that maybe he would think about considering the possible rescue of his annoying wife Faile, whom he loved, deeply, more deeply than anyone who ever imagined anything imagined. Even though she was more annoying than someone hitting you with a carboard tube and saying "Yeeee! Yeeee! Yeeee!" over and over and over and still over again. And much, much, more did Perrin ponder over another bowlful of weevils, much that would ultimately, indeed, lead to much, much, more pondering...
Nynaeve twitched and fidgeted and tugged her braid. In truth, no one was safe from her formidable braid-tugging. Not even the rough side of her tongue was as greatly feared. Anyway, as did her friends, so, too, did Nynaeve ponder and ruminate. And ruminate and ponder. Truly did she miss Lan and how he liked the color blue...
And Rand ...sat there and ...brooded. And mused. And still brooded and mused till his brow darkened with the brooding and the musing and...oy! Dark One save us all!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Extra Star is For Mat..., July 19 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time' (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd just like to list the main characters, mentioning who they were, and who they now are.
Rand Before: Used to be caring (remember how he made Bela run for Egwene?),yet strong willed, and an overall good-guy. Remember when most of the story was about him?
Rand Now: Absolutely does not care what anyone says or thinks, and does whatever he wants to whoever he wants. Not even 3% of this book concerns him.
Perrin Before: Big, strong, gentle. Took his time to think about things, never did anything rash. Didn't like to be in charge, but took control when he had to.
Perrin Now: Rash, angry, pushes people around, cares about nothing else but Faile...NOTHING ELSE.
Egwene Before: Smart (she could read people like nothing else), strong willed, seeking adventure - generally fun-loving
Egwene Now: So, so, so stupid. I mean, those flaming headaches come along ONLY when her Saidin infested servant girl is around, and angry at her (sometimes AT THE EXACT MOMENT OF HER DISPLEASURE), and only her Saidin infested servant girl can make them go away, AND whenever her Saidin infested servant girl is out late, someone dies FROM SAIDIN! I just can't take her stupidness.
Nynaeve Before: VERY strong willed, kind of a witch, but generally good intentioned. Quite mature.
Nynaeve Now: As all the characters 'matured', in a sense (they no longer think about things that are juvenile, generally), Nynaeve has actually de-matured. She runs around like a giddy school girl now, doing anything anyone tells her to, and swooning over Lan. I mean, the only time you see her in this book is watching Lan practice sword-fighting, where she is described as practically 'bouncing up and down in her seat, rooting for Lan'. And it's only practice! And Lan is whomping the other guy, no contest! ugh...
Lan Before: Quiet, composed, deadly, past shrouded in mystery and greatness.
Lan Now: Forsakes everything he used to be to yell at people, making sure they don't hurt Nynaeve.
Tam Al'Thor Before: One of the characters in the first book who I was so looking forward to getting to know better. His past seemed so interesting! For sure, Rand would want to talk to him and figure all this stuff out...especially when he learned to travel, and it would be nothing to take a day or so out of his schedule...
Tam Al'Thor Now: I am convinced that he no longer exists.
The only saving grace of this book - Mat. Mat is the only character who simply hasn't changed much...he's still good-old Mat, and completely hilarious. I think the only thing different about him is that he swears A LOT now...which is funny.
The moral? I don't like the characters anymore - they're stupid, mean, angry, devilish, self-centered, and all around bad people. At least Mat is SUPPOSED to be a 'bad' person...anyway, I don't even want them to win. The Forsaken now are the underdogs, and I like them better. I must say that it would be absolutely brilliant for Jordan to turn the good guys (ever so slowly, as he has been doing) into the bad guys, and the bad guys into the good, however, because I know this will not happen - this last installment is just one more step in the complete destruction of everything Jordan started.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessary transition novel, Aug. 5 2010
Mia Manns (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I have been very defensive of the Wheel of Time series in the past, but this book is just begging for criticism. There is no story arc whatsoever - nothing happens. There is no climax. My experience with previous WoT books is that you can read the first 500 pages wondering when the climax will arrive, and it may be the last 50 pages of a huge volume, but it's usually totally worth all of the drudging build-up, character development, extraneous detail and unnecessary complication. I love those things, in a way. It makes the world real, dense, complex. But it was completely unnecessary this late in a series to provide an entire volume that does not move the plot along, that accomplishes ONLY establishing back-story, developing characters and showing the complications. It's as if this tenth instalment is the beginning of a new story. Jordan gives us an introduction, a complication, and rising action, but we have to wait until the next book to get the climax and falling action.
Also, without spoiling the end, this was the worst cliff-hanger of all time. Cliff hangers are designed to make us long for more, but it's a delicate balance before the audience is just, well, pissed off. Having a character continuously hint that she is about to do something that will change the world tonight, to end with her getting caught, but still not letting the reader know what that thing is even though the entire scene is in free indirect third person point of view, in which we know ALL of that characters thoughts except for this very important detail, is pissing me off. The book should not have ended on this note. I really hope that Jordan's last novel can make up for this waste of time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Long, Drawn Out, and... Where is the Dragon Reborn?, July 17 2004
Wow. That's all I can say. I buy a book, actually excited from the end of book nine (where Saidin was cleansed) and read... and read... and read. After almost 650 pages of reading, I get to the *first* chapter that features the Dragon Reborn (Rand) - who is, supposedly, the "main" character and the most important figure to grace the land in 3000 years. Once I get to his chapters, I convince myself that AT LEAST 90% of the rest of the book must be devoted to him, seeing as how it was so starved of him in the beginning. But I kept reading. And I finished the book. And two chapters were what I got. Two chapters, out of thiry. Paid by the word? Yes. Paid by the book? Yes. But, if Robert Jordan intents to write any more books about the Dragon Reborn and Tarmon Gai'don, perhaps he should *include* the MAIN character in his books. Otherwise, he should not even consider them part of "The Wheel of Time", as they truly aren't about the Last Battle. What he wants to do is write a 3000 page index of what the styles, accents, colors, and tendencies of every individual or object in any given country is like under 30 different circumstances.
Simply Ridiculous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally the end of the road - for me, July 15 2004
By A Customer
Can Amazon.com adjust their rating so that a book can be given half a star? Frankly this is what RJ's Book 10 of WOT deserves. Call me all sorts of a fool, but I started with Book 1 and have read NOTHING ELSE but this series, one after the other. I have now finished Book 10 and am humbly grateful that there is no Book 11 to even half tempt me with: "Surely it's going to start FINISHING soon". Rand will never fight the final battle, Elayne is only just pregnant so it will take at least another three books to bring her to term, the internal politics of Tar Valon and the Tower have the Aes Sedai characters so blind-sided they are literally disappearing up their own backsides and as for the rest of the characters ... please, enough! I have also come to detest RJ's endless descriptions of what women can do with their eyes - flay a man's skin, drill holes through them, chill, frost, bake, burn etc - ad nauseum. WOT started off a pretty decent yarn a long, long time ago (in ages past) now it's just a penny dreadful with the women spending most of their time "planting their fists on their hips", "glaring" "opening their mouths" [only to shut them again] and "smoothing their skirts". WOT stops here for me. I'm disappointed in myself that I have spent nearly a year reading this drivel. Enough. Life's too short to waste it on stupid books with no heart, absolutely no brain, and no end to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Finally some action. And we don't get to see it., July 12 2004
By A Customer
The last five books in this series have strung us along with no real resolution to any of the multitude of conflicts set up in the earlier volumes. They where essentially filler, seminglly written for no other purpose than to pad out a story that didn't need any padding. Finally in Crossroad some of the major issues get resolved. The taint on Sadin and rands lovelife issues. But in doing so Jordan delivers the ultimate slap in the face by having all of this occour between the last book and this one. After slogging through the muck of the previous volumes I finally get to the stuff I wanna hear about and instead I'm told it already occoured and all I get is vauge referenses to it and brief occasional flashbacks. Now that's the ultimate insult. I bought this book against my better judgement and now it turns out my better judgement was correct. Just as a side note, the Wheel of Time was origanally intended to be a six volume series. It should of stayed that way. Everything of consequence from book five to eleven could fit in one book with room to spare.

1.0 out of 5 stars RIDICULOUS!, July 12 2004
By A Customer
Now apart from any complaints about fractured storylines and glacial pace of the books I find that RJ's concept of magic has grown more and more ludicrous as the books progressed. Take the Aes Sedai for example. These women study often for at least ten or twenty years before achieving the shawl. Yet these three gits(you know who I'm talking about) acquired the shawl in about one year without any real training in the tower. To top it off they are far more competent than the Aes Sedai. Why should any woman have to go to the tower? RJ takes away the mysteriousness of the Aes Sedai and makes it seem like no great achievement.
For three thousand years women have studied terangreal and could never figure out how to make one of their own. Along comes the stupid up herself Elayne and makes one of her own. RJ makes the white tower appear to be foolish and incompetent.
Egwene can now make cuendillar after a bit of direction from Moghedien. Even Mog couldn't make it with all the knowledge of the age of legends behind her. What makes egwene so special?
Worst of all is Nynaeve. Being able to heal stilling? Ridiculous!Again, none of the forsaken were able to accomplish this with all their knowledge put together! RJ had the potential to make a tragic character in Siuan and Leanne. Instead these idiots are now sniffing, bickering Aes Sedai like all the rest.
So RJ can't kill characters and he can't let characters suffer even a little bit. But he is able to let us, the readers suffer from this trash he calls writing. I for one am done with this ridiculous farce of a series.

2.0 out of 5 stars *sigh* and it started so well, July 12 2004
I'm not going to beat a dead horse with my review and simply reiterate the disapointment of the vast bulk of WOT fans out there, but one thing did strike me. Did anyone else notice the change in writing style? I've read literally thousands of books in my lifetime and other than Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (supposedly written by Clancy at least), I cannot remember such a drastic change of writing style from a mature author. Umm...Mr. Jordan...are you SURE you wrote this book? It really felt like you were getting the touch back with book 9, but this one doesn't even 'read' like your style. Without being sexist I think I can speak honestly and state that females in the Western cultures are far more interested in clothing styles and conversations than males, but even the women I've talked to who read book 10 all wonder if a man wrote this book; as they themselves can't even imagine being that caught up in clothing styles and descriptions. As a fan, I would ask that maybe you get a volunteer proof reader to just give the next book a 'litmus' test for interest.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't hold your breath, people, July 7 2004
Crossroads of Twilight, by Robert Jordan. We should all thank him for writing this book, really. Because now, creative writing teachers the world over can use it as a teaching aid, as a textbook in everything one should avoid in writing.
How bad is this book? How bad has the series become? To answer that, let's ask some other questions:
1. Is Rand the main character? Does the fate of the entire world rest on his shoulders? Is he the point of the books? Was the first chapter of the series written about him? The answer, of course, is yes. So, Mr. Jordan, WHY is the MOST important character in the STORY only around for ten pages?
2. Were the core characters all friends in the beginning?
The answer is yes. Perrin, Mat and Rand were all friends. Rand and Egwene were in love. Nynaeve, despite her attitude, loved them all. Now, in CoT:
The characters have not all been together since book 4. Perrin and Mat are all terrified of Rand, and Rand uses them. Egwene and Rand are practically enemies. Do we really want to read about characters that can't even remain true to their friendships?
The problem is, there are so many problems to the story now. Not since Moiraine has an important character died. And most people think she'll come back eventually. Thom was first thought to be dead. Nope. Lanfear, Ishamael, Balthamel and Aginor were all supposed to be dead at one point or another. They are all back. Jordan can't kill his characters, and so more and more and more keep coming in. There are so many now, it is impossible to keep track of them all unless you take copious notes, and as their names are all so similar anyway (I'm convinced he uses some name generator found on the internet for the Aes Sedai) the task is doubly hard. And you know things are bad when a woman named Naen (do you know who she is? Of course not) has as much screen time as the Dragon Reborn, or Nynaeve, or Min or Aviendha.
Notice how everytime Rand has gone up against a Forsaken, he has won? Notice how most people fear him more than the Dark One? So why doesn't he get it over with and kill the forsaken, as we all know he can? Notice how the chief threat right now is NOT the dark one, but the seanchan? What does THAT tell you about the Wheel of Time?
Throughout the story, only a few important things have happened: Rand learns that he is the Dragon. Rand gains the Aiel to his side. Moiraine dies. Perrin and Mat do a few other litle things. Egwene becomes Amyrlin. And finally, Rand cleanses Saidin. The rest is all filler.
These are all huge problems to the STORY. I'm not talking about the writing now, not what Jordan writes about and what he doesn't, not how boring it is, or whatnot. This is just the STORY itself. There are too many flaws! This will NEVER work out! I'm sorry to say it, but the series is incontrovertibly doomed. It will never get better, it's dead, gone beyond repair.
I have to finish with a gloomy prophesy. People have been complaining how slow the last books are. Jordan has said only 2, maybe 3 books remain. From where they are now, ask yourselves: are the characters REALLY ready to fight the last battle? What real evidence (not what Jordan says, but by the events he actually writes) that the last battle is at all closer now than it is when the series began? Can Jordan really resolve this all in 3 books? The answer is yes. But he'll do it so quickly, it'll seem so rushed and forced, that the problem in the end will be the opposite of the problem now. The end will have been a blink of an eye...and it says a lot about a series when the most important part of it, the part that REALLY matters, is the shortest, quickest, and least developed of all. It's over folks. Jordan should be sent to jail for murdering his own baby.

Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time'
Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 7 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92