2,123 Reviews
 (1,367)

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing
I am read reading all the books again that I read in my youth and they just keep getting better and better.
Published 1 month ago by peter

2.0 out of 5 stars The Extra Star is For Mat...
I'd just like to list the main characters, mentioning who they were, and who they now are.
Rand Before: Used to be caring (remember how he made Bela run for Egwene?),yet strong willed, and an overall good-guy. Remember when most of the story was about him?
Published on July 19 2004 by Chris

2.0 out of 5 stars The Extra Star is For Mat..., July 19 2004
This review is from: Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time' (Mass Market Paperback)
Rand Now: Absolutely does not care what anyone says or thinks, and does whatever he wants to whoever he wants. Not even 3% of this book concerns him.
Perrin Before: Big, strong, gentle. Took his time to think about things, never did anything rash. Didn't like to be in charge, but took control when he had to.
Perrin Now: Rash, angry, pushes people around, cares about nothing else but Faile...NOTHING ELSE.
Egwene Before: Smart (she could read people like nothing else), strong willed, seeking adventure - generally fun-loving
Egwene Now: So, so, so stupid. I mean, those flaming headaches come along ONLY when her Saidin infested servant girl is around, and angry at her (sometimes AT THE EXACT MOMENT OF HER DISPLEASURE), and only her Saidin infested servant girl can make them go away, AND whenever her Saidin infested servant girl is out late, someone dies FROM SAIDIN! I just can't take her stupidness.
Nynaeve Before: VERY strong willed, kind of a witch, but generally good intentioned. Quite mature.
Nynaeve Now: As all the characters 'matured', in a sense (they no longer think about things that are juvenile, generally), Nynaeve has actually de-matured. She runs around like a giddy school girl now, doing anything anyone tells her to, and swooning over Lan. I mean, the only time you see her in this book is watching Lan practice sword-fighting, where she is described as practically 'bouncing up and down in her seat, rooting for Lan'. And it's only practice! And Lan is whomping the other guy, no contest! ugh...
Lan Before: Quiet, composed, deadly, past shrouded in mystery and greatness.
Lan Now: Forsakes everything he used to be to yell at people, making sure they don't hurt Nynaeve.
Tam Al'Thor Before: One of the characters in the first book who I was so looking forward to getting to know better. His past seemed so interesting! For sure, Rand would want to talk to him and figure all this stuff out...especially when he learned to travel, and it would be nothing to take a day or so out of his schedule...
Tam Al'Thor Now: I am convinced that he no longer exists.
The only saving grace of this book - Mat. Mat is the only character who simply hasn't changed much...he's still good-old Mat, and completely hilarious. I think the only thing different about him is that he swears A LOT now...which is funny.
The moral? I don't like the characters anymore - they're stupid, mean, angry, devilish, self-centered, and all around bad people. At least Mat is SUPPOSED to be a 'bad' person...anyway, I don't even want them to win. The Forsaken now are the underdogs, and I like them better. I must say that it would be absolutely brilliant for Jordan to turn the good guys (ever so slowly, as he has been doing) into the bad guys, and the bad guys into the good, however, because I know this will not happen - this last installment is just one more step in the complete destruction of everything Jordan started.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, June 23 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good series., March 19 2014
Kathi (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book and enjoyed the series. It was a big time commitment with the length and number of books, but worth it. I felt like I'd left an old friend behind when I finished them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars wheel of time series, Sept. 9 2013
looking forward to reading the next ones. I find the books very entertaining and with all the right climax and anticlimax events,

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, Aug. 13 2013
Still slow there is too much detail about background and scenery which is really unnecessary and takes away from the story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Remember the Beginning Plot Elements, March 9 2004
Peter Schaub (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews
I just finished this book. I'll admit I probably wouldn't have read it if I had to pay for it, but I work at a bookstore and so got to read it for free. I read it on my lunch breaks and it still took me a couple of months to chew through. This is the first book in probably five or six years by Jordan that I have read, and I was a bit disappointed as to how far his prose has decayed. I won't restate the typical and completely justified complaints regarding this book, and if almost 2,000 reviews averaging only 1.5 stars doesn't convince you, then perhaps the one slightly new point I bring to this may.
I noticed in this book that practically none of the plot elements from the first couple of books are even mentioned, much less dealt with in detail. For instance, does anyone remember when that guy that went insane over the dagger (can't remember his name, because Jordan hasn't dealt with him in approx ten years) crucified the mordraal (sp?)? Wasn't that just the most powerful and wicked scene painted on paper? Weren't the mordraals kind of creepy and cool? Whatever happened to trollocs? Remember when Rand grabbed his (step?)father's sword out of his cabin and fought off those trollocs in the middle of the night? Wasn't that exciting? Remember what a stud Lan was and how you totally wanted to be like him? Wasn't the ogier culture kind of interesting? Does anybody even think about these plot elements anymore?
I'm just bringing up these points because I noticed in this latest book that none of those elements exist. Nothing really exciting or interesting happens. In fact, nothing happens at all. Now, don't get me wrong. Not every book needs to be a rollicking sword-and-sorcery amusement park ride. But this IS the fantasy genre, not history or modern literature (not particularly known for its action sequences). It's ok if Jordan no longer likes the use of steel or magic to solve plot problems, but those problems STILL need to be solved, at least in some way. He also needs to do so in a rapid enough manner (maybe over the course of one 600 page book?) to keep even the most dedicated of reader's attention. Frankly, none of us are the most attentive of readers, if we compare ourselves to, say, 16th century French nobility. Perhaps they had the time to slog through what is, at this point, NEARLY 6,000 PAGES OF PROSE. In my life, with my schedule, I just need a little more than court intrigue and silly one-dimensional caricatures to keep me interested.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was he ever that good???, March 2 2004
There are enough reviews on here to tell you this is a horrible book without getting into each detail. I bought this in hardcover as I was adicted from books 1-7 and the 9th was better than 8 at the least. Not only is this a great waste of my time, but the drawn out plot lines and character development bits are starting to fold on themselves.
But was he ever really that good? I know he was very good at creating moments and plot twists that made the first books very good, but behind it was a cardboard cutout backdrop. Each city was far too different for their geographical proximity...if only to intentionally be that different. This while every one of these "diverse" cities seemed to be made up of nothing but Palaces, Inns and people selling their wares on the streets. All of these books suffer from a repitition of backdrop and environment, including dress adjusting, palaces, inns, sniffs, etc. In short, while Tolkien, Donaldson and Martin manage to write fully 3D in scope and drama, Jordan seems to only be a 2D writer, and after 10 books...it's finally caught up with him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Treading water, Feb. 29 2004
I really enjoyed the first Wheel of Time books. Then it started to deteriorate into more and more pointless and endless detail of dress, looks and what have you. In my opinion Robert Jordan is just milking his readers of as much money as he possibly can before he uses another ten books to begin the ending of the story. It is sad to see such a good writer wasting his own and his readers time in this way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much!, Jan. 13 2004
Jason Webster "An Argonaut" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I started reading these books quite a while ago. The first few were good, and then it started to go downhill. Although I like some of the characters, for the most part, I simply don't care any more. The other thing that I find to be infuriating is that he spends the first section of a book reviewing the previous books. This section has been getting larger with each installment. So now my strategy is to wait for the last book (27 or something) and just read that. Due to his fear of alienating people, he'll have a huge section on what I've missed since the last one that I read, and I'll just be able to skip to the last battle, assuming he ever gets there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where is all the action, July 14 2003
I had to force myself to read this book. After reading the other 9 books, I though I have put in too much time into this series to abandon the whole thing. This story is moving way to slow for me. The good parts of the book are too short. I have decided to wait another 5 or six years when the whole story will be complete and then read the rest of the books. There are other books out there in then mean time.

Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time'
Crossroads of Twilight: Book Ten of 'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 7 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89