1,040 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars And lo! There shall come a direction!
Published on April 6 2004 by Michael Battaglia

2.0 out of 5 stars Err...
Published on March 15 2004 by Ian

5.0 out of 5 stars And lo! There shall come a direction!, April 6 2004
It's amazing to see all these one and two star reviews still lingering around this late into the series . . . don't get me wrong I don't say that because I feel those folks don't have a point (they do) but I figured by now, this late in the game, Jordan would have whittled his fanbase down to the diehards. It's a testament to the strength of the early books and the promise that people still see that so many are sticking around to see how it ends, whether it's from honest interest or just morbid curiousity. Reviewing these books is a bit of an odd task these days because I'm mostly writing this to people who have already read the book and want to see if I hated or loved it as much as they did (or conversely, they've given up on the series and want to confirm they made the right decision). Any potential new readers should take these reviews with a grain of salt . . . the series really is very good, but has some serious flaws which may or may not do it in by the time it finishes. Best to wait until it's near the end and then read the whole thing straight through. This novel, book nine in a series that maybe possibly might be a total of twelve books (so he says currently, only time will tell) and unfortunately this tends to follow the same pattern left by the previous couple of books . . . characters tread water for the bulk of the novel and then in the last chapter something important happens. Really, if you were try to summarize the novel through events you'd really only be able to name the last chapter as crucial and after six hundred pages of epic fantasy, I think the reader needs more than that. However, this novel bodes well for the closing sections of the series . . . for one thing, something does actually happen that will make a difference in later books, which is probably more than the last two novels combined. Secondly, Mat returns to action after being totally ignored in the last novel . . . he doesn't do all that much but it's nice to have him back in the story itself . . . although that does come at the cost of losing Perin, who makes an appearance early on and then vanishes with nary a mention again (though to be honest, he's getting less and less interesting as the novel winds on). Jordan remains as readable as ever, his penchant for over-description never bothers me so much since when I sense it's starting to overtake the narrative, I just start skimming . . . chapters really do fly by and I managed to finish the book in only a few hours of reading. A bigger problem is that there are just too many stinkin' characters, cutting the glossary down to bare bones was a terrible idea since Jordan tends to keep exposition to a minimum and some chapters only feature supporting characters, most of whom are just people with funny names talking about stuff I don't understand (it's like visiting a foreign country only we're all speaking the same language) . . . I've found the solution to that, other than getting angry, is to simply go with it . . . the trick here is that very few of the supporting character subplots are really vital to the main story, it's just there to give the reader an idea of what's happening in the world and thus I just simply breeze through it without trying to understand and if it becomes important later by some odd chance, I'll just figure it out then. This highlights yet another problem with the book though . . . the beyond glacial plotting. Rand announces his main goal at the end of the prologue and then proceeds to putz around for the rest of the novel right up until the end. It's the same with the other characters, they fiddle about and then as the novel starts to close stuff starts to happen as if the characters all realize they're running out of space. The problem is that most people are reading because of the main narrative, of Rand getting ready to either save the world or crack it in two . . . and any chapter not dealing with Rand is mostly just taking up space and killing time, ensuring that any steps the plot takes are baby steps toward the end. Awash in characters not doing anything too important, most readers just stop caring. On the plus side, the male-female politics are toned down a bit to a more reasonable level (though Rand manages to achieve the ultimate male fantasy, it stretches credibility a bit, but hey he is the Dragon Reborn) so at least the characters aren't as annoying as they were threatening to become. What the novel (and the series at this point) is missing, I think, is a sense of momentum, what made the early books so fascinating (besides the shock of the new) was that the End felt imminent, that the world was really racing toward the Final Battle and it could happen at any second and time was running out. The series has sort of lost that "running for their lives" aspects of things and has traded it for a more leisurely pace, and yes this allows Jordan to stretch out and show a nice crosssection of a world in turmoil, but at the same time it sacrifices nearly all the drama from before. Even the Forsaken no longer seem scary, once they were terrible and fearsome, now we're not even sure how many there are, and most of their appearances involve them sitting around talking about evil things they might do. If there is anything that brings hope for future books, it's the final chapter, which should have served as a template for the rest of the novel, with a dozen things happening at once, with important things at stake . . . but even then the biggest action seems to happen off-panel and there's still a sense of momentum missing, I liked it but it still felt by the numbers to me. So what's the verdict . . . readable but lacking that pressing sense of "I gotta know what happens next" . . . I bought this when it came out and haven't read it until now, simply because all the urgency is gone, I get to it when I get to it. And while this means I don't get as agitated as some others do when it doesn't live up to my expectations, at the same time, it's clear that something is awry. It's good, solid fantasy, but I really can't recommend people start it until the whole series is finished, lest they be trapped in limbo like the rest of us.

2.0 out of 5 stars Err..., March 15 2004
Well...I'd have to agree with the critics. The first six books of the series were awesome, and I liked the developments in book 7 (Nynaeve's block...etc.). Book 8 was the most horrible creation I've ever had to endure in my life. By book 9 you become very good at...skimming. I mean, seriously, is it necessary to describe it every time Elayne changes her shirt? Just say she's wearing silk. While the story itself is very good, the descriptions makes you want to throw the book out the window. And never see it again. Especially the battle scenes. Ack, those are the worst. Anyway...Jordan needs to work on shortening the descriptions a little bit, and put a few more interesting parts BEFORE THE CLIMAX. If that gets fixed, it will be fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book was just a serial set-up, March 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Winter's Heart: Book Nine of 'The Wheel of Time' (Mass Market Paperback)
The 'action' and 'movement' in this book were just to set up book 10 so RJ could sell a few more copies ala "When we last left our intrepid hero." (Something he's been in the habit of doing since Dumai Wells at least). Knowing what we know now, the story isn't a decology, and faced with the crisis of being caught extending this series ad naseaum and not being able to sell book 11 he rolls out a prequel to prove to us he can still advance a plot. The problem is he won't do too much in book 11 or the series will be done before he dies/book 30 (whichever comes first). Jordan is playing us for suckers. This series is a train wreck and the engineer is still asleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, April 8 2014
Plot and characters were incredible. I truly gripping and interesting part of this series.

Only one complaint was not with the book itself but with missed words and mistakes in the editing of the kindle edition which interrupted the reading experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good series., March 19 2014
Kathi (Calgary, AB, Canada) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book and enjoyed the series. It was a big time commitment with the length and number of books, but worth it. I felt like I'd left an old friend behind when I finished them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series ever!, March 13 2014
This series is amazing! I'm on my second round with it. For anyone looking for an extremely well written epic series that captivates you and sends you into another world, check this out. You will NOT regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Feb. 17 2014
My favourite series. Truly an amazing piece of work. Need 11 more words for this review. Blah blah blah blah

3.0 out of 5 stars Less Fashion and more Fighting, please, Oct. 24 2013
Decano (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
One wonders if the dear departed Robert was not a closeted drag queen given his complete obsession with female fashions. Probably not given his equal obsession with women's bosoms. Sigh. When he decides to get things moving the plot is great ... But he suffers the fate of the successful author: no editor dares take him on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wheel of Time, Sept. 9 2013
I have enjoyed reading this series by Robert Jordan and look forward to the last few. The books have been in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day Tolkien, July 25 2002
Many have complained that Jordan has drawn out his series too long. Yet to fulfil the emotions, thoughts and actions of 8+ characters in a way that makes people crave more, does take awhile. Vivid landscapes draw you in and let you experience the characters for yourself. Rand's fight to stay sane is something everyone feels at least once in thier lives. Each character possesses a small part of what we feel in everyday life and hopefully, the only rare tragedy. Become one or more of the characters, grow from innocent, backwater farm boy/girl to a confident, knowledgeable leader. This book is not for the faint of heart. Grow in the Light!

Winter's Heart: Book Nine of 'The Wheel of Time'
Winter's Heart: Book Nine of 'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 7 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49