5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading no matter if you've read Ender's game or not.
As good if not better than Ender's game.
It explores the same story as the original but from the perspective of Bean.
If you're familiar with Ender's Game then there's not really anything I can tell you about the story, but you should read Shadow. You won't regret it.
Published 3 days ago by Andres Consumer

3.0 out of 5 stars No great contribution to the series
If you're going to skip one of the books in the Ender series, this is probably the one. Granted, it's meant to set up a backdrop for the two other "Shadow" books, but Bean's character isn't very difficult to figure out. It simply retells Ender's Game from Bean's perspective, and frankly, Bean is not nearly as interesting a character. As unbelievable as...
Published on Dec 19 2003 by Archange M. Chavannes

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading no matter if you've read Ender's game or not., July 18 2014
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Mass Market Paperback)
As good if not better than Ender's game.
It explores the same story as the original but from the perspective of Bean.
If you're not familiar with either then you're in for a treat. I wish I could live the journey that is this book (and Ender's game) again.

This is another one of those books that I will not give a summary to. Just read it without knowing anything. You really don't want anything about this adventure spoiled.

Both this and Ender's Game are excellent and I could not recommend them more. Don't be reluctant that it shares it's plot with Ender's Game, it will not bore you in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, AFTER Ender's Game., Oct. 20 2013
Deep Gill (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ender's Shadow: 1 (Kindle Edition)
Orson wrote this book after Enders Game as a way to see events through the eyes of others. He starts the book by saying it doesn't matter if you read it before or after Ender's Game but I think it should absolutely be after. This book is far more "complete", it reveals many angles that I think would spoil Ender's Game for anyone that hasn't read it. If you have read it this adds a rich layer of understanding on top, it makes you feel like a part of that world.

Absolutely amazing, one of the best books I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Enders Game, Feb. 15 2014
This review is from: Ender's Shadow: 1 (Kindle Edition)
I hesitated once I read some reviews that it was the same story as the original, but from a different perspective. Well I should not have because it was as good even almost better. The story is from a different angle and character and was brilliantly told. The intelligence behind characters combined with the main character of Bean is simply brilliant and entertaining. Glad that I picked up this book and will continue reading the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars I ordered 2 of these!, Nov. 7 2013
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Hardcover)
Got one for my younger brother and one for myself.

First of all, I can't believe how cheap these are. They are hard cover, in stores would have cost us three times as much. Shipped with in a week, very impressed!

We finished the book with in 4 days, amazing read. If you enjoyed Ender's Game, you will love this.

Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Bean has emotions?, March 19 2013
This review is from: Ender's Shadow: 1 (Kindle Edition)
I find it strange that Poke took so much importance in Beans mind...the author did not make me feel this in the beginning of the book.

Very well constructed story. Events flow well. Keeps you turning the pages faster and faster. Just found out it is not the first of the series...uukh! But good to find out there is more to read....Next!

5.0 out of 5 stars One o the greatest novels I've ever read, forget it's a d*mn parallel...., July 5 2012
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Mass Market Paperback)
Just as the title says... this book does incredible justice to it's namesake, forget that it's set in a parallel world to Ender. Bean is my Ender...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Audio Book is amazing, and it has a special Easter Egg, April 30 2006
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Audio CD)
I have just finished listening to the Audio Book of Ender's Shadow and I was completely impressed with the professionalism of the production and the quality of the writing.
Ender's Shadow is not a sequel or a prequel. It's the same story as Ender's Game but told from the viewpoint of a different charactor, Bean. I was so amazed at the new insight into the original story that I found myself rereading passages of Ender's Game.
The quality of the production on the audio book is amazing. The producers wisely decided to use a full cast to read the story. When the story switched viewpoints and during certain dialogue pieces, it helped to keep the charactors straight and the audio book lively.
Orson Scott Card decided to add a special treat at the end of the audio book. On the final CD, there is a passage where he explains what has been holding up the Ender's Game move. (Yes, there will be an Ender's Game movie) He tells you of the obsticles that had to be overcome, how he overcame them, and why there will be an Ender's Game movie out soon. The insight that he provided is amazing and surprising.
If you are wanting to read Ender's Shadow, I challenge you to listen to it on audio book instead. I listened to it on at the gym and in the car. I'm sure that you will feel the same way I did; that it was well worth the unique experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book...nice parallel to Ender's Game, June 4 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Mass Market Paperback)
I've always enjoyed Bean's character in Ender's Game and I was excited to learn more about Bean's past, his thoughts, etc. This book offered a different perspective of the Battle School, the games and the war. Overall, it was a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, July 19 2004
Hugo Calendar (Monument, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book, though I'm fairly particular about what science fiction I will read. If you liked Ender's Game, I suspect you'll like this book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dipping into the same well twice works like a charm., July 6 2004
Travis Stein (Houston, TX (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ender's Shadow (Mass Market Paperback)
Although the reviews now indicate how I feel about the book. But at first many probably doubted that card could essentially tell the same story twice. However, the story while similar to Ender's Game, does a brilliant job in its own right in becoming a separate book from it's original predecessor. The storyline of Bean from his struggles on the streets of Rotterdam to his acceptance and difficulties in Battle School , is extremely compelling. If you loved Ender's Game, you might like Ender's Shadow even more. What makes it unique is the fact that not only does it tell some of the events but besides the plot of the Bugger War (Called Formics in Ender's Shadow) and Bean's original struggle to stay alive, is the subplot of his origins. Without giving too much away (POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD), Bean is not a normal child in any sense of the word normal. The source of Bean's intelligence is gradually unraveled throughout the book by the International Fleet and Sister Carlotta (Bean's mentor and protector during his time on Earth before Battle School). I found this subplot to perhaps be the most exciting of all. It gave the original Ender's Game a new dimension to look at. Ender's Shadow not only gives the reader some of the events that the reader read about in Ender's Game but fills in alot of the gaps as well that are told from the standpoint of the people on the "other" side of the equation.
Bottom line is if you haven't gotten this book yet, you are missing out on all the magic that made Ender's Game great and Ender's Shadow even better. Pick it up, you won't regret it!

Ender's Shadow
Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 15 2000)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89