5.0 out of 5 stars Resurrection Rocks!
Published on April 15 2004 by Justin T. Wagner

1.0 out of 5 stars great disappointment
Published on Oct. 26 2009 by Brenda Pink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars great disappointment, Oct. 26 2009
Brenda Pink "snorkelgeek" (Lethbridge, AB, CAN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Resurrection (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I purchased this book. All I know is that it wasn't what I got. First of all, I wasn't aware this book was the second in a trilogy. That ended up not being a problem as the book stands alone as a single novel. I wasn't expecting a full-fledged sci fi book, which this most definitely is. I wasn't expecting all the sexual content that was in the book. I'm not a prude, but bring this up only as a warning to others who might not like to read that sort of thing. The premise of the storyline is that life on earth cycles over and over until we get it right. What that means from a reader's perspective is that the plot jumps all over hell and creation, which made the storyline a mess and hard to follow. Unless you take notes as you read, you cannot figure out the order of events within the storyline. If this is an indication of Alten's regular writing style, I have no desire to read any other of his books.

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A BLUCKING MESS..!!, Sept. 23 2010
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Resurrection (Mass Market Paperback)
If I ever make a list of the worst books I ever wasted time on, this book would sure lock a Top-10 position. IT IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

First of all, the story is all over the place. Characters are built up only to fizzle and die off. Plot threads that lead nowhere. Ancient civilization prophecies, half-baked deism iconography, bad 70's science fiction concepts, pop-psychology, chakra points and pseudoscience all baked in tons of LACTIC ACID. Rarely was I more tempted to quit reading a book before finishing it.

"Tachyon engines", "tractor beams", "guns set on stunt", "enter the nexus", "computer, lights!" - sound familiar? Well, the STAR TREK universe seems to be plugging every creativity hole encountered. Not to mention the alien starship of unknown origin, the Balam, that looks strangely like a cross between SSN Defiance and the Starship Yamamoto (yes, there is a ...photoshop-rendered picture).

Finally, the..."science". In the back dust-jacket Steve Alten claims to have earned a Master's in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware as well as a Doctorate from Temple University. Well, if these institutions knew how little regard he holds for research and scientific accuracy they would be asking for their degrees back!
Case in point: on p.307 Steve Alten claims that "there are over 100,000 different genes in the human genome" - a notion that is at least 25 years old. Evidence presented in the past 15-20 years brought the number down and in 2004 the Human Genome Project concluded that there are no more than 20,000-25,000 genes in our genome. This book was published much later, in 2006 - but of course the writer could not be bothered to verify his facts.
And I am not even going to go into the absolutely baseless claim that "our species is still only capable of using only 10% of our brain". What is this, the ...1950's?

If there is such a thing as a hell, I cannot imagine it without this book in its library.
AVOID. AT ALL COSTS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, death and betrayal at the end of the world, May 14 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I have fond memories of reading Domain, the prequal to Ressurection. The pacing, the plot twists, and the mood kept the pages turning long after I should have been sleeping or doing work. That being said, I wasn't very excited about the recently released sequal. I wasn't sure how Mr. Alten could top what I considered to be an amazing work of science fiction. I'm extremely glad I relented and bought this book.
Moreso than in the previous installment, Ressurection is almost agressively character driven. Throughout the course of the story, I find myself caring for the characters, even some of the psychotic villains from Domain. The real shining star of this novel, however, is Lileth. A tragic and beautiful young girl; her descent into madness is as enthralling as it is heart-breaking. Next to Simon Covah of Goliath, Lileth is the most well-rounded and intriguing character Steve Alten has ever created. I'd go so far as to suggest this book on the basis of her character alone.
But if it's more science fiction you want, the book delivers near the halfway point. Taking place in the near future, it's great fun looking at the author's view of what our world could look like someday soon.
Last but not least, however, is the return of the Mayan prophecies. If you enjoyed them in Domain, you'll love Ressurection, which establishes them extremely well.
I give this book a four out of five because while it is spectacular, there are some disturbing scenes that might not appeal to everyone. Other than that, though, it's a fun read.
The Domain series is the literary equivalent of the Matrix trilogy. Don't miss out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too "out-there" ....., May 7 2004
Greg E. Mahler "Phate999" (Fritch, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
First, off I want to agree with one of the other reviewers below about kids not being able to read this book. At times it was vulgar, sinful, and overly dramatic on the sex scenes. Let's put it this way, if this book was made into movie, it would be no less than NC-17.
That said, this book is a huge myriad of technical mumbo-jumbo thrown together into one very strange, very unbelievable book.
I didn't think it added anything to its predecessor-Domain-and only detracted from how much I liked the original. This one was just too "out-there." It mixed too many Christian beliefs into mythological and new age voodoo nonsense, IMO.
Unlike Domain, this book didn't have the journal of Julius Gabriel, which absolutely sold me on the idea in the first book. I had actually emailed Steve and asked if it was a real journal after I read the book. He told me "nope." That was how well he had written it.
I guess, in conclusion, I give this one 4 stars because of Domain. I just liked seeing a sequel to my favorite book even if it didn't quite add up to my expectations. This is not too shabby of a book, mind you, but you will absolutely just have to take the author's word on most of it. You will have to suspend disbelief hardcore for this one. If you can do that, you will love it. If you can't, then get ready for some weird stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resurrection Rocks!, April 15 2004
Justin T. Wagner "Nessie's 3rd victim" (Anchorage, AK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
Steve Alten has done it again in this thrilling, nail-bitting, page-turner. A super-natural rollercoaster ride, chalked full of action, adventure, mystery, suspense and horror. Not for the faint of heart or the squeemish, once you pick this book up you won't be able to put it down until the end. From the chilling first page, to the suspense filled ending, you'll be left salivating for part 3 (Phobos) in the "Domain" trilogy. "Resurrection" is the ultimate battle of good vs. evil!
I loved this book! With each new novel Mr. Alten outdoes himself. He truley is a gifted author and an amazing man who appreciates his readers as much as we appreciate him. "Resurrection" is a must read for any of those who wonder what happens when we die, if there's a heaven or a hell, or anyone who just loves a good book!
Also check out Steve Altens' other awesome novels "Meg", "The Trench", "Domain", "Goliath" and the soon to be released, "Primal Waters" (Part three in the 'Meg' series).

1.0 out of 5 stars Alten should have stopped with Domain, March 24 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
"Domain" is one of the best science fiction books I have ever read. Definately in my top 5. In addition, I've read every other book Alten has written, which is why it pains me so much to write a negative review, almost as much as it pained me to read "Resurrection."
I normally don't buy books, but instead check them out from the library, and if I do buy a book, I wait until it comes out in paperback. I loved "Domain" so much that I pre-ordered "Resurrection" months ago. Probably the first hardcover book I've bought in years. The story gets off to a good start, but falls apart after the first few chapters. This book is nothing like Domain. Whereas Domain had a great Mayan/Alien storyline, Resurrection almost completely abandons this and shifts over to a plot involving aliens, time travel, and Heaven & Hell. The word "Mayan" appears in this book maybe 5 times. No more visits to Chichen Itza or theories involving the Yucutan crater, which is what made Domain such a great book.
Resurrection focuses mainly on Michael Gabriel's twin sons, and what I think is their quest to free their father. I still don't know if I have any idea what the book was really about. Characters that seem important, are introduced, built up, and then killed or removed a few chapters later. Alten focuses the first half of the book on the twins, and the latter half on the aliens, in what comes off almost as two completely different books. He introduces the concept of wormholes, time travel, species evolution, the afterlife, and so many other concepts that will have you completely confused as to what is going on. All of this culminates into one of the most anti-climatic endings I have ever read. I actually started reading a new book with 10 pages to go because it felt like such a chore to finish it. I have been forcing myself to read 2 or 3 pages a night so I can be done with it.
As I aid, it hurts me to give my favorite author a negative review, but this book is truely deserving of it. While I don't doubt it will appeal to some, I didn't buy it for a space fantasy. I bought it to recapture all of the great memories I had from reading Domain. Unfortunately, the best part of this novel is the sneak preview of Alten's next book, "Primal Waters." Hopefully he will learn from "Resurrection" and his continuation of the MEG series won't stray too far from the original.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for such a good writer, March 8 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
The prequel DOMAIN was a facinating concept, but the continuation here gets WAY too conveluted when you try using too many concepts. In addition to the Mayan Doomsday prophesy, he also tries to tie in Christianity in this novel, which is where the story fails. I don't know if Mr. Alten wanted to increase the potential readers or what reason caused him to try and introduce this to the mix, but it not only convelutes the story, it's horribly innaccurate to the Christian faith and spits on a few Christian concepts altogether. It surprised me a great deal, as Mr Alten is a brilliant writer with a gift of weaving fact and fiction into one...this wasn't even close.
Talking to the dead? There is NO HELL? Whether you believe Christianity or not, if you're going to use it in your story, get your research right. Read the book man. The OTHER book.
Any comparison to 'Left Behind' is strictly that, and VERY flimsy. It's NOTHING like it. The only good thing about this book is Salt and Pepper.
If you want to read a great Alten story, try Goliath.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!!!, March 7 2004
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
First, let me start off by saying that I've been a fan of Steve Alten's work since I first read MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror, and he's quickly climbed the ladder to being my favorite author. Now that that's out of the way, this novel is the second part of the DOMAIN trilogy and it's completely different from the first book. This book follows the birth and growth of the Hero Twins, two young men destined to resurrect their father and save the planet. It also follows Lilith, a young girl born into abuse, who rises up to became the chief adversary of the Hero Twins. While I thought this was a great book and worthy sequel to Domain, I found myself being pulled out of the story somewhat due to the sexual nature, almost all of the central characters are engaged in sexual activity somewhere in the novel. While most of these encounters serve the basic plot of the story i.e. the abuse young Lilith suffers throughout her childhood, causing her to become the predatory creature she will grow into...that being said, I do think that some of the sexual contact in the novel was not needed. What the book needed was more action. Readers may also find that some parts were confusing, but I'm hoping that Mr. Alten will tie everything together in PHOBOS. For fans of sci-fi novels, this book is right up your alley. I found myself visualizing the epic battles in my minds eye as I read all the way until the end. This is definately one of Alten's best novels to date and I can't wait for PHOBOS to hit shelves as I was left with wanting more when I finished the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing, March 3 2004
Vanessa Shannen (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
I am I huge fan of Dr. Steve Alten! I love his characters, the stories, how he mixes history, fact, and fiction. For those who are familiar with his work understand! Domain is one of my favorite books! I have been waiting years for the 2nd in the series. Now, Resurrection is out and I have apprehension to recommend the title. The story picks up where Domain left off, Dominique alone and with child (twins, the 'Hero Twins') and Mick is gone. However, Dominique, a great character in Domain, takes a secondary role to her sons when the story starts up. Our loving Mick...well, we are all confused. The twins...well, they are products of the environment; isolated for their protection. A new character Lilith,...well, you just don't when to feel for her or want to kill her; you'll understand when you read the story. I would love to talk about the story, but as a fan of Alten, I do not want to give the story away. Nevertheless, I will say, that the story jumps around A LOT, from memories, and Mayan prophecies, to the future. I would like to blame that on editing (maybe), because Domain doesn't have the same pattern. Anyhow, there is a bunch of unnecessary characters that have been developed that you never understand their significance, lots of random history that is inserted, sexual assaults that seriously could have been alluded to instead of described (besides I still am lost what the purpose was to have them in the book). The question of existence, God, heaven and hell...which is good, but you as the reader can't figured out what it has to do with the story. The Hero twins get annoying and there is time travel; which I'm still trying to figure out where everyone is. Okay, truth...I do not know. As I said before, I loved Domain. Maybe my expectations for Resurrection were too high. Or maybe everything will make sense in the 3rd book Phobas, I'm hoping. We will see. This book, well, keeps you guessing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this suppose to be one book or three thrown together?, Feb. 26 2004
William P. Mcentee (WATERTOWN, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resurrection (Hardcover)
First off, I like to say I'm a big fan of Steve Alten and was looking forward to reading this sequel to Domain. Unfortunately, this one turned out to be a big disappointment. There is no question that Mr. Alten is a great writer, but I don't know what he was thinking with this book. It almost appears as if he had written three separate novels here. The first third is a rehash of the first novel. The second half is a bleak outlook on mankind's future with no true relevance to the first book. The last third is some weird pseudo mystical piece of tripe that does an injustice to the first novel, which tried to stay on the science side of life. It appears as if he was forced by his publishers to come up with a sequel to his first novel, so in between his writings of his other works, he came up with this. It also seems like he had sections of this book proofread by different people as he wrote it. Unfortunately none of these people read the book from cover to cover. The ending of this book left a bad taste in mouth and I have no desire to read the last book to this trilogy when it comes out. One final thought, Mr. Alten wants schools to select him in the Adopt an Author program. There is no way a child should be reading this book, which is filled with unnecessary graphic violence and gratuitous sex scenes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Resurrection
Resurrection by Steve Alten (Mass Market Paperback - May 30 2006)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01