Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Left in Dark Times: A Stand Against the New Barbarism
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$19.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 15, 2008
I hate to admit it, by I had a very hard time reading this book, for at least two reasons. First, the author is completely incapable of limiting each sentence to a single thought. He interrupts nearly every thought to throw in another, then back to the first thought, then off to another.

In addition, the author keeps making references to European events and people, without any introduction or explanation. Much of the time, it seemed more like showing off than providing information. I felt like I was constantly fighting through the conversational-meets-stream-of-consciousness style to figure out what he was on about.

Putting aside the writing, there is some content here. The author explores the ways in which the Left has gone off tracks in recent years. Of course, he is writing about the European Left, not the American Left. I consider myself, and most of my friends, to be pretty far to the Left. And, if you read my blog, you'll see I am not at all shy about criticizing the United States. Yet, it never even occurred to me to think that the USSR was anything other than a totalitarian nightmare. I guess some on the Left in Europe fell into the trap of thinking that any country that said it was communist deserved our respect, but I sure don't remember anyone around here thinking that way. Furthermore, I am not sure anyone who does fall into that kind of trap was all that bright to begin with!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again