5.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis: Tough Reading, and Tough Lessons
C.S. Lewis is an awesome writer, both with fiction and non-fiction. In the Screwtape Letters, as you already know, Screwtape is writing letters of advice to Wormwood, about how to tempt and otherwise pervert the ways of his "patient".
Published on Feb. 5 2003 by Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Well-Written, But Extremely Boring
...It is very well-written, and the premise is interesting. However, I found it so boring I could hardly pay attention. C.S. Lewis does make some good points, but he really beats them to death. The reason I'm rating the book two stars instead of one is that it really is very well-written, in spite of being extremely boring.
Published on March 4 2002 by Imperial Topaz

5.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis: Tough Reading, and Tough Lessons, Feb. 5 2003
Dave (Lexington, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
It can be tough, grueling reading at times, but it so perfectly illuminates the sinful side of everyone...and can be an indicator of what NOT to do!

2.0 out of 5 stars Well-Written, But Extremely Boring, March 4 2002
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, June 2 2014
A great read. offers a good object lesson. It serves my needs very well. I would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars C.S. Lewis, Jan. 1 2014
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
C.S. Lewis is a classic Christian writer, author and commentator. He is a delight to read and I would recommend this particular
book to anyone exploring the world of the natural and the supernatural who enjoys out of the box humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars the devil made me do it, June 28 2013
how to preach without preaching? a very interesting perspective on the oldest book in the world, told by the devils themselves

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but difficult to read., Dec 31 2012
Ronald W. T. Chao (Western Canada) - See all my reviews
I have heard many positive comments of this book and I approached it, expecting it to be brilliant. I have read the Lord of the Rings and I found the writings of Tolkien much easier to read and to keep engaged than this book. The topics within this book are very good and offer a good insight into Christianity and the sins that humanity is plagued with; however I found the first part of this book very difficult for me to keep focused on and the flow was very different for me to grasp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Oct. 9 2002
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
You've got to read the Screwtape Letters!
It's fascinating. The spiritual insights are so rich and deep.
You'll never think about spiritual evil the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating novel with rich characterizations, Oct. 2 2002
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
This is a classic piece of Christian fiction. You will not be disappointed but challenged after reading this delightful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEVILISHLY CLEVER!, May 28 2002
K. Jump (Corbin, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
Leave it to C.S. Lewis to do the undoable--write an epistolary novel from Hell's vantage that delights as much as it educates, and illuminates even as it sends cold chills up your spine. But Lewis was a genius, and The Screwtape Letters is literary proof.
Written as a series of letters from old devil Screwtape to his apprentice nephew, Wormwood, Lewis's novel tells the story of Wormwood's increasingly desperate efforts to ensnare the soul of a young Englishman during World War I. Through this correspondence we follow Wormwood's "patient" through conversion, to doubt, love and his ultimate fate. The novel's suspense comes from the question of whether or not the young man will actually escape becoming a midnight snack for Wormwood, and besides being a genuinely fun read the novel is packed with ingenious observations about innumerable human fallacies: from lust to "falling in love," to cowardice to fanatic patriotism, piety to self-righteousness. One of Lewis's great literary gifts was his ability to pinpoint the subtle flaws in human nature that most of us probably don't think twice about but which we may end up regretting for all eternity. His eye for the touch of evil in the most seemingly innocuous areas of life lets Lewis hit all the major spiritual pressure points with amazing--and sometimes painful--accuracy.
Deliciously funny as only a grand parody can be, yet likewise terrifying in its implications, The Screwtape Letters is a must-read for everyone who ever even thought about religion. A magical novel of wisdom, encouragement, and dire warning, The Screwtape Letters has my wholehearted recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful faith book, May 22 2002
Tanja L. Walker "Tanja L. Walker" (Norman, OK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Screwtape Letters (Paperback)
C.S. Lewis writes the ultimate Christian primer -- telling his readers how best to be faithful Christians by showing us how we should NOT behave! Screwtape, a high level denomic bureaucrat, is advising his neophyte demon nephew Wormwood on how to win over to "Our Father Below" his "patient," a new Christian who must be wooed away from "the Enemy," who is, of course, God. What makes this book so profound is that the temptations Screwtape suggests to Wormwood are not just the obvious ones, but the subtle ones that get to us everyday, sometimes under the guise of "doing good." How many of us, for example, have gotten into arguments with a loved one over who was being more unselfish -- "I don't want pepperoni on the pizza, but go ahead, have pepperoni, I don't mind." "No, I insist. No pepperoni, even though I love it so much, because I know you hate it." "No, please, have the pepperoni, darn it!" And so the resentment builds. It is this sort of sin and temptation that Screwtape urges Wormwood to play upon his hapless "patient."

But Screwtape knows his "enemy" and he knows his limits. My favorite line, and one well worth hanging on to for all of us who feel we have lost hope: "Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys" (p. 40). And never forget. The demons never deny the existence of either Father or Son.

Screwtape Letters and Screwtape Proposes a Toast
Screwtape Letters and Screwtape Proposes a Toast by C.S. Lewis (Textbook Binding - Nov. 1979)
Used & New from: CDN$ 21.57