5.0 out of 5 stars Another book that changed the game for me by Peterson
I think I'm a Bryan Peterson junkie.
I seems that each time I get one of his books, I get new and invaluable insights.
In the case of Unferstanding Flash Photography, what I got was drastic.
Before, I'd have my hot-shoe flash on on automatic and basically not use it much... because it never seemed satisfying.
Now, I know exactly how to use it manually...
Published 23 months ago by Yohann Stoycheff

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited use
This book deals only with the Nikon SD-900 flash. Reference is made to settings using other Nikon flashes, but the Web site that supposedly contains these settings is not operational. Peterson is usually more connected to the practical realities of photography than in this book. I gave my copy to a friend who uses a Nikon SD-900. I use two SD-600s. tis book is useless for...
Published 24 months ago by michpol

5.0 out of 5 stars Another book that changed the game for me by Peterson, Sept. 12 2012
This review is from: Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash (Paperback)
I think I'm a Bryan Peterson junkie.
In the case of Unferstanding Flash Photography, what I got was drastic.
Now, I know exactly how to use it manually. Have perfect control over my light.
If you own a flash, do yourself a favor and learn to use it with this great ressource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the book to help you use your flash better, Jan. 11 2013
I discovered Bryan Peterson from the videos he makes for Adorama TV. In all of the videos he demonstrates how to achieve good results in ordinary situations without resorting to expensive layouts such as a professional studio. In this book he takes just the same approach. The book works through a whole variety of scenarios where he uses flash to obtain some great photographs. In each case he tells you all the camera and flash settings he used and also tells you exactly why he chose those settings. In the vast majority of cases he uses just one flash gun although on a few occasions he uses a second flash.

In each case he shows a smaller photo taken without the benefit of flash and a larger image showing the improved picture taken with flash. There are also many photos showing the actual set up that he used.

The book is really easy to read and understand and has taught me more about flash photography than I ever knew before. Previously, I've always used flash in full automatic mode and have never been really happy with the results. Thanks to Bryan Peterson I now know better. A highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, July 24 2013
Bryan Peterson is one of my favourite photographers and he is a funny teacher with a great sense of humour. He has loads of creative ideas for your flash shots. He also gives you solid ground work on how flash works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Photography, Aug. 31 2013
James W. Helmer (Calgary AB,Canada) - See all my reviews
This book follows the high standards set by Peterson (i.e. Understanding Exposure). It is very well written and is well complemented with numerous photographic images and graphics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 6 2013
This is an extremely useful book for learning how to use flash in a practical manner. Definitely an essential read

4.0 out of 5 stars New Doors to Flash Photography, Sept. 4 2012
Farya Pirbazari (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book opened new doors to the world of flash photography. Like many other amateur photographers, I was always skeptical about flash; but now, I love working with flash with tons of opportunities for artistic creativity.

Also, you will enjoy a very easy, step by step text in plain English with so many illustrations.

I only wish the captions of the figures were not in smaller fonts, very difficult to read. These are sort of main part of the book and not really captions, sometimes even longer than the main text. This is the only reason for four stars I give this book; otherwise, a full 5-star is what it deserves. Highly suggested to all photographers and photography lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars understanding Flash Photography, May 8 2012
I read this book nearly every day, it solves a lot of my problem in taking pictures.The explaination of this book are simple & clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, very informative!, April 2 2012
Finally a easy to read book that really helps understanding the use of portable flash. No fancy set ups, no technical mumbo-jumbo and a real neat explanation of how the flash fits with the exposure triangle already described in Bryan Petterson's previous books. And I really like the author's sense of humor. A great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars The title of the book says it all, Dec 10 2011
Stevie the suburbanite (near Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. It helped move me away from ttl flash and into manual flash exposure. The explanations are clear, short and simple. There are several good quality photographs and they help make the explanations clearer. I've read quite a few 'improve your photography' books of late, and this was one that really had an immediate impact on the way I shoot photos. Highly recommended for someone who currently works in manual mode with a dslr camera and who would like to buy a flash and go beyond the ttl mode of that flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must own one, March 25 2014
After reading half of the book, I've already learned many things regarding how to use the flash light. I have bought several photography books which one of it was a set of 4, and I want to tell you that that writer intentionally hiding some details and want you to become his student and pay more money. On the other hand, this book, will even tell you the location, the time, etc of the photos shown. Highly recommended.

CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80