5.0 out of 5 stars Another book that changed the game for me by Peterson
I think I'm a Bryan Peterson junkie.
I seems that each time I get one of his books, I get new and invaluable insights.
In the case of Unferstanding Flash Photography, what I got was drastic.
Before, I'd have my hot-shoe flash on on automatic and basically not use it much... because it never seemed satisfying.
Now, I know exactly how to use it manually...
Published on Sept. 12 2012 by Yohann Stoycheff

3.0 out of 5 stars Now I can control ambient and subject exposures at will.
By using manual modes, Peterson teaches the fundamentals of flash photography. This is OK for studios or if you have time to tinker but in fast dynamic situations, TTL flash with camera manual mode gives good results. Before reading this book, I usually got horrible indoor shots (black background with overblown subject exposure). Now I can control ambient and subject...
Published 20 days ago by Gary

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another book that changed the game for me by Peterson, Sept. 12 2012
This review is from: Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash (Paperback)
I think I'm a Bryan Peterson junkie.
In the case of Unferstanding Flash Photography, what I got was drastic.
Now, I know exactly how to use it manually. Have perfect control over my light.
If you own a flash, do yourself a favor and learn to use it with this great ressource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the book to help you use your flash better, Jan. 11 2013
I discovered Bryan Peterson from the videos he makes for Adorama TV. In all of the videos he demonstrates how to achieve good results in ordinary situations without resorting to expensive layouts such as a professional studio. In this book he takes just the same approach. The book works through a whole variety of scenarios where he uses flash to obtain some great photographs. In each case he tells you all the camera and flash settings he used and also tells you exactly why he chose those settings. In the vast majority of cases he uses just one flash gun although on a few occasions he uses a second flash.

In each case he shows a smaller photo taken without the benefit of flash and a larger image showing the improved picture taken with flash. There are also many photos showing the actual set up that he used.

The book is really easy to read and understand and has taught me more about flash photography than I ever knew before. Previously, I've always used flash in full automatic mode and have never been really happy with the results. Thanks to Bryan Peterson I now know better. A highly recommended book.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Doors to Flash Photography, Sept. 4 2012
Farya Pirbazari (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book opened new doors to the world of flash photography. Like many other amateur photographers, I was always skeptical about flash; but now, I love working with flash with tons of opportunities for artistic creativity.

Also, you will enjoy a very easy, step by step text in plain English with so many illustrations.

I only wish the captions of the figures were not in smaller fonts, very difficult to read. These are sort of main part of the book and not really captions, sometimes even longer than the main text. This is the only reason for four stars I give this book; otherwise, a full 5-star is what it deserves. Highly suggested to all photographers and photography lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, July 24 2013
Bryan Peterson is one of my favourite photographers and he is a funny teacher with a great sense of humour. He has loads of creative ideas for your flash shots. He also gives you solid ground work on how flash works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, very informative!, April 2 2012
Finally a easy to read book that really helps understanding the use of portable flash. No fancy set ups, no technical mumbo-jumbo and a real neat explanation of how the flash fits with the exposure triangle already described in Bryan Petterson's previous books. And I really like the author's sense of humor. A great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars The title of the book says it all, Dec 10 2011
Stevie the suburbanite (near Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book. It helped move me away from ttl flash and into manual flash exposure. The explanations are clear, short and simple. There are several good quality photographs and they help make the explanations clearer. I've read quite a few 'improve your photography' books of late, and this was one that really had an immediate impact on the way I shoot photos. Highly recommended for someone who currently works in manual mode with a dslr camera and who would like to buy a flash and go beyond the ttl mode of that flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash Photography, Aug. 31 2013
James W. Helmer (Calgary AB,Canada) - See all my reviews
This book follows the high standards set by Peterson (i.e. Understanding Exposure). It is very well written and is well complemented with numerous photographic images and graphics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does What it Claims, Dec 13 2013
A very good book for understanding flash photography. It should be noted that this book is not about how to use speed lights or cameras but understanding flash photography. The author largely assumes the reader understands how to use his/her camera and speed light. I realized I needed to brush up on how my speed light worked before I could get the full benefit from this book. The author references, in a largely generic fashion, the Nikon SB900 speed light, which is the one he uses, but this is quite incidental to the book and its purpose.
The book covers the basic concepts like aperture, shutter speed, ISO and their interrelationship in the context of flash photography. One thing I found particularly useful is better appreciating the different roles of aperture and shutter speed in flash photography: what they individually contribute to a properly exposed photograph using flash. The manual mode of the speed light was strongly emphasized by the author. I came to better appreciate the use of this mode in effectively exposing flash photographs both for pop up and off camera speed lights. I now use this mode to a greater degree and a lot more effectively than I formerly did.
Finally I ought to say that after reading this book I came away with a clearer understanding of flash photography and the factors that determine its success.

4.0 out of 5 stars understanding Flash Photography, May 8 2012
I read this book nearly every day, it solves a lot of my problem in taking pictures.The explaination of this book are simple & clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 6 2013
This is an extremely useful book for learning how to use flash in a practical manner. Definitely an essential read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›