5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Simple, and Absolutely Revolutionary
If you applied Evelyn Wood's technique to this book, you could finish it in 10 minutes... and you would probably gain nothing from it. This is a book to take your time with, think about, and come back to.
Nouwen was asked to speak at a conference about "Leadership in the 21st Century" and this book is the text of that speech.
The book tells the story...
Published on July 25 2001 by Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a pamphlet, really.
This book is a transcription of a speech Father Henri gave on Christian Leadership in the 21st century several years ago. He encourages leaders to flee from desire for relevance into contemplative prayer; to flee from personal heroics into confession and forgiveness; and to flee from possible power into the mind of Christ.
While it is a solid pamphlet that many will...
Published on Feb. 23 2001 by William Krischke

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Simple, and Absolutely Revolutionary, July 25 2001
This review is from: In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership (Paperback)
The book tells the story of Nouwen's journey from lofty chaplain and teaching positions at Harvard, Notre Dame, and Yale to a "lowly" position as the Pastor at a community for the mentally handicapped. He uses this experience to outline a radical paradigm for 'leadership' characterized not by ambition and 'upward mobility', but by humility, vulnerability, and servanthood.
The book is a simple one, but the concepts are truly revolutionary and counter-cultural. This book deserves some real attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very short, but very good, July 6 2001
J. F Foster - See all my reviews
I read this book in an hour, but that one hour of reading produced many more hours of personal thought and reflection about what it means to be a leader in ministry who truly reflects (albeit imperfectly) the Savior we serve.
Nouwen is addressing this book to 'priests and ministers' but I think many of the principles he discusses are very applicable to almost anyone who wants to serve God in ministry, even in non leadership capacities. I was particularly struck by what I thought was a critical point he made when he discussed how those of us who serve in ministry can often get sidetracked and distracted in our work for God when we begin to equate our service with our own glory and not God's. He talks about how people are susceptible to impure motives when serving God, and this is a very critical point. While he doesn't explore this in as much detail as I might have liked, the message is clear. As leaders in ministry, we will regularly encounter and serve people who are in tough situations. And while it's a wonderful thing to minister to those who are hurting in one form or another, we need to realize that this is a position of tremendous responsibility. Having this responsibility can tempt people into coveting power or influence, which can lead to any number of abuses once our motives for service are not pure. All the more reason to enter into Christian leadership with the right motives and a heart that is right with God. Nouwen did not explore this in great detail, but he does explore it within the context of being an effective leader for God who has joy in their service and whom God uses to the fullest for the benefit of those we serve.
Because of its shortness, it is far from a comprehensive look at honorable Christian leadership. But I think the topics he chooses to cover are handled well, and speak very eloquently to the heart that yearns to serve God with joy. I think that Nouwen puts forward a number of ideas that if implemented, will be successful in sparking joy in the hearts of Christians who serve God, and will result in joy and transformation not only for the Christian who is serving, but also for those he/she serves. It is a plan of action that allows God to refine us and those we serve, and in my view, there is no higher purpose for ministry then this. A good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Concise, March 19 2001
Bethany McKinney (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is not just for formal Christian leaders, but for anyone who wants to be focused on what is really important in the Christian life. It is really short, and you could definitely read it in less than 2 hours (probably closer to 1 hour). But it will remind you of what being Christian is all about--being genuine and vulnerable, and loving others through that vulnerability. It is a beautiful picture of leadership, and about how as a leader we can be set free to be ourselves and enjoy God and love others. In a lot of ways, Nouwen shows how the most effective leadership is very simple and has been done for a couple thousand years. It's about emptying ourselves, taking up our cross, and sharing that journey with those in our care. This book is well worth the short amount of time it will take to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 20 2014
delivered on time with good quality. Henri inspired me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but so sweet, July 10 2009
Do not be fooled by this book's size, it packs a powerful punch. As a young minister still trying to figure out which details to focus on, and which to ignore, this book could not have done more to re-focus and re-align my priorities. Profound, yet simple. It is a must-read in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Little Book By Henri Nouwen, April 8 2004
This review is from: In the Name Of Jesus (Hardcover)
In this small book (81 pages) Nouwen tackles three temptations faced, but too often not acknowledged, by Christian leadership:
1. the temptation to be relevant.
2. the temptation to be spectacular.
3. the temptation to be powerful.
SUGGESTION: This little book doesn't cost that much. Buy a copy for your pastor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Transforming and Profound, Nov. 18 2003
TKP (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
In Nouwen's work during his time at Daybreak community in Toronto, he reflects on Christian leadership and what it takes to lose oneself in downward mobility, the way of the cross. Using the passage from John with asking Peter, "Do you love me?" Nouwen uses grace and style in one of his more powerful books. I was touched by the call to Christian ministry in pairs, and being fully rooted in intimacy with Christ. Highly reccomend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good little book for Christian leaders, Dec 11 2002
Matthew Gunia (Justice, Illinois) - See all my reviews
Another five star book that's less than 125 pages: between this, "I Had Seen Castles," and "Life Together," I'm beginning to really appreciate the shorter books.
The author of this book comes from an intersting background: he is a highly educated priest in the Catholic church, served on influential boards, and became a professor at Harvard University. Then, he gave it up and took a job working among mentally handicapped people in Canada. This book, a speech in its original form, is part Nouwen's process of adjusting to his new life and part a chronicle of lessons he's learned working among the developmentally disabled.
This book is primarily speaking to Christian pastors, emphasizing the need to "get back to the basics" of faith, especially not letting yourself get caught in the trap of thinking too highly of your own importance. However, it is an excellent read for pleasure as well. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars 81 Pages and 81 Years Worth of Wisdom, Oct. 9 2001
Eric Wilson "author" (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Nouwen packs so much wisdom into so little space. These aren't cerebral facts, these are life-altering, heart-changing ideas. These are words to fuel a revolution.
Essentially, in his simple and loving manner, Nouwen tells us that we've got it all wrong and that we need to get back to the basics. "Much Christian leadership is exercised by people who do not know how to develop healthy, intimate relationships and have opted for power and control instead." This quote by Nouwen not only hits the nail on the head, it pinpoints the problem of serving God in an official capacity. Many have insulated themselves from relationships, often under the impression that they must show only their good side as a minister of the gospel; thus they wrestle alone with the sins of the flesh.
This short book attempts to refocus leaders' eyes on the basics...and the basics, as viewed here in poignant and startling clarity, take a lifetime to learn. Nouwen manages to make this all seem not only possible, but desirable. Not only helpful, but necessary. Each time my mind began to get in the way, his words brought me back to the responses of the heart.
To start and finish this book, Nouwen tells us about his mentally-handicapped friend Bill. By tucking his message between the very real love and efforts of his own life, Nouwen punctuates his words and shows us that they can, indeed, impact our own lives.
Even if it takes me 81 years to get it all figured out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book!, Feb. 5 2001
Marc "Fundraisingcoach.com" (Waterville, ME, United States) - See all my reviews
I first read this book in college with my fellow resident assistants. I've also read it many times since then. "In the Name of Jesus" is short and challenging. It's terrific.
I'd recommend this book both for those who've never read Nouwen and for those who've read all he's written.

In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership
In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership by Henri J. M. Nouwen (Paperback - Oct. 1 1992)
CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.24