5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
An excellent book, it should change your understanding of the world around you, and change your life.
Published 16 days ago by Taras Bulba

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Didn't Sit Quite Right
I'm still struggling to put my finger on exactly what I thought of this book, however, I've thought about it enough that I'm sure this review isn't premature.

Published on Aug. 16 2011 by Eternal Decree

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 14 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars very insightfull, June 27 2014
Philip Schachtner (Calgary, Alberta, CA) - See all my reviews
I learned a lot from this book, great read. It provides insight into many things I was wondering about, and clarified many parts of scripture

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Didn't Sit Quite Right, Aug. 16 2011

I want to start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed 'Peace Child' by Don Richardson and have read it more than once, so when I saw that this was required reading for a missions class I was naturally excited and expecting the same quality of material. What I found was an underdeveloped book that had decent potential; and when all was said and done, something about the book just didn't sit quite right. I think what it was is that he takes the idea of "redemptive analogies", first presented in 'Peace Child', a little too far. I say that because I began to see him advocating a way of presenting the gospel that doesn't seem consistent with the "simple" truth of the gospel and the "offence of the cross." So I've given this book 3 stars because I don't recall it being damaging to the gospel, par se, but I can not say that it is beneficial to missions and the spreading of the gospel either.

I personal don't recommend this book, but would gladly recommend Peace Child: An Unforgettable Story of Primitive Jungle Treachery in the 20th Century to anyone interested in the topic of redemptive analogies, or who just wants to read a great missionary story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caught me by surprise!, Nov. 21 2010
I bought this book because it was this month's title for our book discussion club and was caught by surprise at it's message. I highly recommend this easy and fascinating read about how the one and only God of creation has kept his story alive throughout the remote nations of the world until they are brought the full revelation of the gospel. What an encouragement compared to the revisionist history of our age!

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book!, June 11 2004
Clark D. Goble (Waverly, OH United States) - See all my reviews
Mr. Richardson does an excellent job of explaining the difference between General and Special Revelation along with explaining how God uses both to spread his Word. The author provides many examples of how God is active in spreading His gospel. It is humbling to realize that God does not "need" man to spread His Word, but rather chooses to share the experience with us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting customs from tribal people around the world, May 11 2003
Clare Chu (USA) - See all my reviews
Excellent study of tribal and ethnic traditions and myths that point to the true God of Creation and His Son the Messiah of Israel. Don Richardson shows stories of people who said that they once knew the true God, but somehow either lost the Book, or lost contact with Him. One tribe said that they were sure that a light-skinned messenger would come someday to tell about the Son of God. So sure were they that they had appointed people to watch for these messengers. This paved the way for the actual missionaries to share Christ with them, which was accepted eagerly. Other examples are people who had lost a Book, and were waiting for someone to restore it to them. One example was recorded in the Bible where Paul preached on Mars Hill to the Greeks about the unknown God. Richardson goes back further to tell about the story of Epimenides and the sacrificing of "dedicated" sheep to ask the "unknown God" to cure the city of a deadly plague, after they had offered atoning sacrifices to all of the gods that they had to no avail.
Very interesting reading. One disappointment is that in the last chapter he promises a book showing the spreading of Christianity in the last 2000 years, and the missionary fervor of the "World's First Bible Belt" (a 7,000-mile one completely encircling the Mediterranean Sea), but I can't find that this book has ever been published. This book leaves you wanting to find out more, so I recommend the author's "Peace Child" and "Lords of the Earth" talking about the people and customers of Dutch New Guinea (Irian Jaya), and how these people came to know the Lord Jesus Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gospel is not a white, European male invention, Feb. 12 2003
Susan F Dane (Pass Christian MS) - See all my reviews
I found this an exciting book because it is filled with numerous historical examples of peoples from diverse cultures the world over whose lives have been blessed by the missionary spread of the Gospel.
If you've ever been challenged, confused or concerned that the Gospel is something exclusively white, European and male that for primarily greedy, arrogant and condescending reasons has been imposed upon other cultures this is a book you may want to read.
I loved it. I've read it several times and found it easy to read and to understand.
The author himself is a missionary. He presents numerous factual examples of what he calls 'redemptive analogies'. These are "hidden keys" within the very fabric of non-European cultures that have wisely been recognized and utilized by many (but of course not all) missionaries over the centuries.
In contrast to seeing the Gospel as something illegitimate and disrespectful imposed upon the unsuspecting, ignorant, gullible and uncivilized 'heathen' the beautiful and respectful truth of God's redeeming love for all humankind is shown to have blessed millions. Have you only heard about the wolves in sheeps clothing? Read this book and hear about some amazing stories of blessings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think Acts 17:23, Jan. 20 2003
Andrew "skychase" (Flowery Branch, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
Demonstrates conclusively that God, Himself, is actively involved in preparing the hearts of people in all cultures of the world. Paul was our first example of adapting the gospel. This book cites many other examples throught the world, past and present.
This will prove to be insightful in reaching an America once dominated by a Christian culture. Think post-modern America.

3.0 out of 5 stars could have been edited better, but the info is good..., Dec 27 2002
The premise that this author brings to the table is fascinating and well worth reading about. In it self it deserves a 5 star rating, however, I did have a problem with the way the book was put together and the editing that went (or didn't) go into it.
It was this problem that caused me to lose interest and put it down somewhere in the middle. I have a many books in this state, and it is my experience that I seldom get around to finishing them. I felt compelled however to write a review as I don't feel it is necessarily good for the system to only write about books that we loved.
The idea that God revealed Himself (or better is currently and always revealing Himself) to all peoples on the earth should not be that controversial. I imagine it is to some because they have the fault of being a bit arrogant. It is not hard, after all, to go to some small little country church in the middle of Ohio and find a group of people that feel they are the only ones going to heaven.
Mark Twain once made the statement (I'll paraphrase) that the some have reduced the number of the elect to such a small group they are hardly worth saving. It is important, I think, to reflect on what this skeptic had to say and how it relates to the general idea behind this book. It doesn't seem reasonable to think that God would make it impossible to most of mankind to relate to Him. And it doesn't seem reasonable to think that some small group in Ohio is the only group special enough to understand the revelation of God Almighty.
Of course I am not saying by any means that there is (in my belief) any way to heaven besides through Christ, or that this book purports to say that there is either, but that the way to Christ is not always through an American church service or a Billy Graham crusade. Perhaps God had the fore sight to reveal Himself to other cultures and they used different names (ie their own language) to call God God.
I would recommend this book to those going to other cultures and to those that need to study on the subject. I am hesitant to recommend it however to those that like smooth flowing easy to read text. The stories are a bit hard to follow, there are too many names and places thrown in too quickly and much of the information comes in a text book style.

4.0 out of 5 stars His Ways are Indeed Higher, Nov. 5 2002
One negative result of living in a society in which Christian is synonymous with status quo is that we begin to make the assumption that our religion is bound up intrinsically in our civilization. When God is reduced to the "god of western civilization," or even further to the "god of good upstanding americans," the inevitable result is that God is tamed and becomes a glorified household god. The sheer power and majesty of the True God is forgotten. This book provides an excellent reminder that His ways are truly higher than ours, and that He does indeed transcend any human culture in a way we can only see dimly.
If you appreciate fictional redemptive allegories such as Lewis' Til We Have Faces this book you will enjoy the excellent accounts provided of counterparts found the oral traditions of various peoples.
The book also led me to reflect on God's nature as demonstrated in the Biblical accounts of Job, Melchizedek and other non-Jewish followers of the true God, and has provides fodder for some very interesting insights into and discussions on the nature of election and God's sovereignty as displayed through his choosing some to be candidates for His grace.
I can't give this book five stars because I find fault with Richardson for not providing more information about his research and sources for the book. In all fairness, though, it isn't intended to be a scholarly work. Overall, this is a great, very insightful read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Eternity in Their Hearts
Eternity in Their Hearts by Don Richardson (Paperback - May 1984)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.92