1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute MUST for any families!, June 28 2010
Canadianladybug "Canadianladybug" (Ottawa, ON, CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Preparing for Adolescence: How to Survive the Coming Years of Change (Audio CD)
This year we are going through changes in our family life. Since last Friday we have now a tween in our household and three other kids are following the footsteps of their oldest brother.

Consequently, it made us realized that we might not be ready for adolescence. And knowing that Dr. Dobson has a wonderful product for both parents and teenager, I requested the opportunity to review the Preparing for Adolescence CDs and Family Guide and Workbook. To my delighted surprised, I received both through the mail without knowing if I would be granted this request. Thank you Gospel Light!

The series has been done for kids ages 10-14 years old depending of the level of maturity. Dr. Dobson himself strongly suggest to go through this series while doing a small trip with the child going through puberty. I so love this idea and planning is something we like to do. So we can now planned for next year when our oldest will turn 10 years old.

The CDs can be used at home or during a special trip with the young person. We are planning a special trip with Dad for the boys and a special trip with Mom with our daughter when the time comes. The CDs will help you have a conversation with your child about topics such as growing up, sexuality, drugs and alcohol, inferiority, love and identity. I like the way the CD set is setup. The first CD is for parents only and will prepare you on what to expect and what to say. This CD is encouraging for parents and gives you ideas, suggestions as well as helps you to remember your own passage through puberty.

Cds 2 to 7 are for young people and for parents together on various topics. These are perfect for the special trip I mentioned above. Then the last CD is for parents to listen and contains answers to questions your child might ask. It is an optional CD which you have to review BEFORE going on that special trip with your child. Pretty neat don't you think?

The family guide & workbook contains discussion starters as well as activities and ideas that will help you talk about the issues found in the CD. This workbook is linked to the book or the CD. However, at the beginning of the workbook it is suggested to go see the corresponding CD segments at the back of it and the list is not there. It is a bit disappointing I find. I have contacted the publisher about this missing information and I am confident that they will send me the listening guide for the CDs.

As for the activities included in the workbook, I can say that I wished I had had something like that when I was going through the teenage years. I think it would have helped me to deal with a multitude of emotions and events.

I think Preparing for Adolescence is a curriculum that should be in every household. This will help not only the young men and women to go through a hard period of time but also it will help parents to prepare to the roller-coaster years of adolescence.

Also available in this series are the book itself and the group guide which can be used in a church setting.

This review was possible because I received a copy of Preparing for Adolescence CD Pack and Preparing for Adolescence Family Guide and Workbook from Gospel Light.

Preparing for Adolescence: How to Survive the Coming Years of Change
CDN$ 43.99 CDN$ 35.19
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available