5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cooking, simply great

2.0 out of 5 stars Jackie
Published 19 months ago by Jackie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cooking, simply great, March 15 2004
The two bad reviews of this cookbook that I've seen focus on it being too simple and "reducing" the subtlety of recipes. After growing up as a missionary kid in West Africa with a mom who relied on this cookbook and after learning how to cook out of it, I disagree. The recipes are simple so that you can modify them to suit your own tastes and what's locally available. If you're looking for a gourmet cookbook, this isn't it...but if you're looking for a superb basic cookbook that will teach you not only how to cook but also how to be more aware of the world around you, this is it. I have other cookbooks that I use frequently, but if I could only have two, I've have Joy of Cooking and this. The Oatmeal Bread, Spaghetti Sauce, Scrambled Eggs & Noodles and Chow Mein recipes are amongst my all-time favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frugal, Simple and Delicious Recipes!, Nov. 19 2002
By A Customer
I love this cookbook! Most of the recipes call for everyday ingredients that I have in my cupboards. But, the recipes aren't boring! They use simple ingredients in creative ways. I was also happy to see recipes for things like whipped topping ("Cool Whip") and pancake syrup. I had no idea you could make that stuff homemade-- and it's so easy and inexpensive, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Large Families, Dec 1 2002
"mandylee8" (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I find my family large and growing. It is expensive to raise a large family in today's society. Thankfully this book has been a saving grace. The recipes are tastey. I have learned to cook for my family while staying on a budget. It is one of my most referred to books in the kitchen. A must have for every family kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple food can sure taste good!, May 11 2004
By A Customer
The pages of my 22 year old edition are stained and torn. Notes are handwritten by various recipes. Yes, I've used this cookbook a lot and will continue to do so. Just tonight we had a casserole with the simplest ingredients -- a chicken breast I had in the refrigerator, bread, cheese, milk, vegetables, butter. My whole family loved it. For simple wholesome fare, I recommend this book. I'm planning on buying a copy of the book as a wedding gift for my niece, just like someone once bought this as a wedding gift for my husband and I.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just recipes, Oct. 31 2011
Kristine Brisson (Newington, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the philosophy of this cookbook! It's focus is on getting more food and nutrition with less money, meat, and fuss. The recipes use whole foods and lots of nutrious whole grains. It is a must buy for anyone seeking to eat in a way which is conscious of the earth, health (one's own and that of others), and social justice. On a formatting note, the way these recipes are written out is great! They don't list all the ingredients and then give the instructions. Rather, they list some ingredients, tell you what to do with them and then list more and tell you what to do with those... and so on. Makes the whole cooking process very simple. Oh, and it's filled with lots of great information and notes throughout.
My only "complaints" about this book and why I didn't give it all five stars is that most recipes call for too much salt (my advice is to use less than they call for and then add more if needed) and some of the recipes are fairly bland. Having said that, some of the simplest recipes are the tastiest. In the end, these recipes come from a wonderful and much needed philosophy of food and eating and though many stand well on their own, there are also many that are really good starting places for you to build on.
Definitely buy this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Jackie, Feb. 9 2013
Jackie (Calgary AB) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the updated version of this book. I was one of those who got the original book in the `70's and it changed the way I thought about food. I raised my family using the recipes and advice in the original version. I was disappointed when I replaced my worn out copy with the new one because the section that had the most impact on my cooking was missing. In the original preface, there was a section listing complementary foods that produce complete protiens - for eg 1 c skim milk + 3/4 c rice; 3/4 c grated cheese + 1 c macaroni; 1 c beans + 2 2/3 c rice; 1/4 c beans + 6 tortillas. To me, that was what changed my thinking and my way of cooking. The new version removed those examples and in my opinion became just another frugal cookbook. Without that section explaining why a meal of rice and beans is just as protien rich as that of meatloaf and potatoes, the book loses a lot of its relevence. I will keep the book I bought because mine was falling apart, but I will not be giving it as gifts because I do not believe the book in its current version will be the instrument of change it was in the 1970's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver, Sept. 13 2005
Joanna (Shilo Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
I got this book as a wedding present, and it has been used ever since. We had no money when we got married and very litte in the first few years, when our first child was born. This book helped us through some tough times, it provided us with healthy meals we could afford. Even though money is not as tight now I find we keep going back to this book for good food and inspiring words.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one cookbook I use!, July 24 2003
If you only buy one cookbook, this is the one to have! I have always loved cookbooks so I have read a lot of them. This is the only cookbook I use. The recipes are simple and easy to make. The ingredients can be found in a well stocked pantry. If you do not have a well stocked pantry, read this book. It gives a list of common pantry items. This cookbook is a great money saver. Most of the recipes are inexpensive to make, and if you cook continually at home you will save money. As you peruse this cookbook you will also be reminded of how our excesses affect people in other countries. This is an important life changing lesson. I encourage you to buy this cookbook or find this cookbook in your local library. Read it and try some of the recipes. More-With-Less encourages you to use what you have on hand like vegetables from your garden. The recipes can be adapted depending on what you have on hand or what is inexpensive in your area. There are also ideas for using leftovers. We have had some great meals at home since we found More-With-Less. I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook, bar none, you will ever own, Jan. 20 2002
What's a nice Neopagan elder like me doing giving a five-star review to a Christian cookbook?
I have my reasons:
Reason #1...this is, simply put, one of the best, most practical cookbooks you can own. It has a good collection of basic recipes, some fancy ethnic dishes, and a lot of useful information about what substitutions can appropriately be made if you suddenly discover you are out of something. The bread section alone is worth the price of the cookbook.
Reason #2...the author was very obviously concerned with wise and appropriate use of the land and of natural resources, which is a VERY important part of my own religious path. This book gives me the materials and the encouragement to "practice what I preach," which is important to me.
Reason #3...though I personally am not, many Neopagans are vegetarian, and there are plenty of good vegetarian (or easily adaptable) recipes in here.
Reason #4...trying to do the right thing for Mother Nature can be time consuming, and this cookbook specifically marks "Time Saver" recipes for those of us who do not have the time to spend.
Reason #5...it is important, especially in light of the events of 9/11/01, to show understanding and sensitivity to other people's cultures, and the stories in this cookbook certainly do that. We could use more such stories in these times.
Buy this book, and use it well. Regardless of your spiritual path, this is a practical and spiritual book that everyone should be familiar with.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that helped us live through poverty, Sept. 5 2002
By A Customer
I found this book reduced on the rack of my local grocery store 18 years ago. We lived on a homestead in N Mich., supporting three people on my husband's income of $150/wk. I had $10/wk for groceries, bought staples in 20lb bags thru a food co-op, and froze or canned almost everything we ate. This book was used more than any other cookbook in my library. I learned how to make my own brown sugar, pancake syrup, soybean sandwich spread, and many other things I couldn't afford to buy at the store. This cookbook allowed us to eat better quality meals than most people with much higher incomes, and also let me stretch my dollar to the limit. I don't have such income restrictions today, but still live and eat simply. By the way, my favorite recipe is the Six-layer dish (Casserole). It is very simple to prepare in the morning, bake slowly all day, and gets raves at pot-lucks for flavor. Enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook
More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre (Paperback - Sept. 26 2003)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.12