5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cooking, simply great

2.0 out of 5 stars Jackie
Published 17 months ago by Jackie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cooking, simply great, March 15 2004
The two bad reviews of this cookbook that I've seen focus on it being too simple and "reducing" the subtlety of recipes. After growing up as a missionary kid in West Africa with a mom who relied on this cookbook and after learning how to cook out of it, I disagree. The recipes are simple so that you can modify them to suit your own tastes and what's locally available. If you're looking for a gourmet cookbook, this isn't it...but if you're looking for a superb basic cookbook that will teach you not only how to cook but also how to be more aware of the world around you, this is it. I have other cookbooks that I use frequently, but if I could only have two, I've have Joy of Cooking and this. The Oatmeal Bread, Spaghetti Sauce, Scrambled Eggs & Noodles and Chow Mein recipes are amongst my all-time favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just recipes, Oct. 31 2011
Kristine Brisson (Newington, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
I love the philosophy of this cookbook! It's focus is on getting more food and nutrition with less money, meat, and fuss. The recipes use whole foods and lots of nutrious whole grains. It is a must buy for anyone seeking to eat in a way which is conscious of the earth, health (one's own and that of others), and social justice. On a formatting note, the way these recipes are written out is great! They don't list all the ingredients and then give the instructions. Rather, they list some ingredients, tell you what to do with them and then list more and tell you what to do with those... and so on. Makes the whole cooking process very simple. Oh, and it's filled with lots of great information and notes throughout.
My only "complaints" about this book and why I didn't give it all five stars is that most recipes call for too much salt (my advice is to use less than they call for and then add more if needed) and some of the recipes are fairly bland. Having said that, some of the simplest recipes are the tastiest. In the end, these recipes come from a wonderful and much needed philosophy of food and eating and though many stand well on their own, there are also many that are really good starting places for you to build on.
Definitely buy this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Jackie, Feb. 9 2013
Jackie (Calgary AB) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased the updated version of this book. I was one of those who got the original book in the `70's and it changed the way I thought about food. I raised my family using the recipes and advice in the original version. I was disappointed when I replaced my worn out copy with the new one because the section that had the most impact on my cooking was missing. In the original preface, there was a section listing complementary foods that produce complete protiens - for eg 1 c skim milk + 3/4 c rice; 3/4 c grated cheese + 1 c macaroni; 1 c beans + 2 2/3 c rice; 1/4 c beans + 6 tortillas. To me, that was what changed my thinking and my way of cooking. The new version removed those examples and in my opinion became just another frugal cookbook. Without that section explaining why a meal of rice and beans is just as protien rich as that of meatloaf and potatoes, the book loses a lot of its relevence. I will keep the book I bought because mine was falling apart, but I will not be giving it as gifts because I do not believe the book in its current version will be the instrument of change it was in the 1970's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple food can sure taste good!, May 11 2004
By A Customer
The pages of my 22 year old edition are stained and torn. Notes are handwritten by various recipes. Yes, I've used this cookbook a lot and will continue to do so. Just tonight we had a casserole with the simplest ingredients -- a chicken breast I had in the refrigerator, bread, cheese, milk, vegetables, butter. My whole family loved it. For simple wholesome fare, I recommend this book. I'm planning on buying a copy of the book as a wedding gift for my niece, just like someone once bought this as a wedding gift for my husband and I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Receipes!, Jan. 7 2013
This cook book is awesome. I literally wore out my last one that is why I had to get another one. That is how good it is too! The receipes are great because they start most things from scratch instead of using pre made items from the store!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver, Sept. 13 2005
Joanna (Shilo Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
I got this book as a wedding present, and it has been used ever since. We had no money when we got married and very litte in the first few years, when our first child was born. This book helped us through some tough times, it provided us with healthy meals we could afford. Even though money is not as tight now I find we keep going back to this book for good food and inspiring words.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent basic & simple recipe book from Mennonite culture, April 26 2010
Bruce Bain "Romans 9:33/Remember Jackie Robinson" (Englewood, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook (Paperback)
Our family has used the first edition of More With Less for years. Our original edition is smudged and tattered from years of use. We now have a new edition.

From the Banana Bread or Cornbread to Soups or Stew recipes, Salads or Desserts, or even spaghetti and sauces, all of the recipes for any meal are kept to a minimum of ingredients, in keeping with the Mennonite Tradition.

If you have ever set about to prepare a family meal, and found that the recipe called for all kinds of spices, vegetables, meats, cheeses, etcetera, to the point where the cost of the meal was out of all proportion with your intentions, you will come to appreciate this humble cookbook. It only uses very elemental and basic ingredients, rather than the sort of things found in cookbooks by or for wannabe chefs.

Yet the recipes will not dissapoint. The book contains nutritional information and Substitution Tables.

Permit me to give a simple example from page 201.

CREAM OF PEA SOUP:

1 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
2 chicken bouillion cubes
1 thin slice of onion
2 Tablespoons flour
3 cups of milk
dash of Pepper
dash of Mace

"Whirl until smooth. Pour into saucepan and heat slowly, stirring constantly. Additional
Milk may be added."

This is essentially what all the old Mennonite Community recipes were like. There are certainly more ingredients in many recipes, but the Mennonite Tradition is purposely simple, because the poor and humble can afford such meals and have nutritious food at the same time.

The Mennonites emerged in Switzerland in the 1520s as radical Protestants. Owing to the persecution of Protestant sects, many Mennonites immigrated to other countries. They are kindred to the Amish.

Many of the Mennonites migrated from Germany to Russia, because the Russian Czar gave them an exemption from military service. The Czar was desperate to have Wheat Farmers to produce food for Russia. The military exemption was later withdrawn, and because the Mennonites were Pacifists and reluctant to do military service, many families migrated to America after 1874.

They settled in states like Nebraska, Kansas, North Dakota and other states where Mennonite expertise in wheat farming made them an essential part of the settlement of the American West.

In America, the Mennonites were in search of freedom of worship and a peaceful life. Mennonites commonly will neither smoke tobacco, drink alcohol, dance and church attendance on a regular basis is a must.

Mennonites do quite a bit of Voluntary Service in their communities, throughout the country, and even around the world. They are sincere and very dedicated people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Aug. 6 2013
If you are on an alternate diet this is the book for you. Some of the foods I have to eat are bland to say the least, but this book gives great ideas and uses only basic materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book that had you going green before green was in style, June 2 2013
Over the course of many moves, I somehow lost this cookbook. I was unable to replace it until they came out with this anniversary edition. I can now make my favourite apple crisp again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Large Families, Dec 1 2002
"mandylee8" (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I find my family large and growing. It is expensive to raise a large family in today's society. Thankfully this book has been a saving grace. The recipes are tastey. I have learned to cook for my family while staying on a budget. It is one of my most referred to books in the kitchen. A must have for every family kitchen!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook
More-With-Less: A World Community Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre (Paperback - Sept. 26 2003)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.12