5.0 out of 5 stars Best new comic strip in years, Oct. 15 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Poodle The Other White Meat: A Sherman's Lagoon Collection (Paperback)
Jim Toomey's "Sherman's Lagoon" combines enormous wit and intelligence with hilariously funny drawings. Nobody since Walt Kelly has succeeded so well in putting human expressions on animal characters. Somehow Jim Toomey manages to fit an extraordinary panoply of human situations, common to life in contemporary America, into a very small canvas. There are only a few main characters, sea creatures in a lagoon in Micronesia, but many more pass through the strip briefly, sometimes to disappear into the maw of the great white shark, Sherman, who gives the strip its name, or his wife Megan, distinguishable from her husband only by the necklace of faux pearls around her neck. Only in Sherman's Lagoon will you find a shark wife dragging her reluctant husband to a motivational lecture; an Easter Island-type deity who when asked for advice, tells his hearers to dump their high-tech stocks; or a great white shark singing "La Bamba" at the top of his lungs while using an outhouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Nov. 30 2000
By A Customer
I bought this book for my Dad as a birthday present because he loved this comic. I read it before I gave it to him, but I had to stop several times because I was paralyzed with laughter! This is definitely the funniest book I have ever read. After I read it, I immediately went out and bought the first book Ate That, What's Next. I was quite dissappointed in it. Then, I reread it about a month later and was in tears again! The simple reason: it's a great book, but this one is absolutely the best and I was expecting too much. Ate That was hysterical too, though just not as funny as Poodle: The Other White Meat. You should probably read Ate That first. Both books are great, and I can't wait to read the new third one, The Illustrated Guide to Shark Ettiquette!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond bit of childhood remembered, Jan. 20 2000
Carrie R Ismail (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
I have been an avid Sunday comics reader and collector of certain strips books and none have tickled me or even made me laugh out loud like "Sherman's Lagoon". I was overjoyed to see that there were two books so far! Can't wait for the next, then I can clean off my kitchen cabinets were I have many taped upon! Another reason I so enjoy this strip is that I grew up reading "Pogo" collections by Walt Kelly at my grandfather's summer place. Next to the lake that was my most anticipated item! "Sherman's Lagoon" carries much of the same type of humor and fellowship that the "Pogo" gang had. Its a new generation piece that I would save for my future grandkids as my grandfather had for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for every hairless beach ape!, Sept. 2 2000
This second collection offers us another look at the adventures of the funniest sea-dwellers known to man. There are several hilarious storylines here, including invasion from Navy Seals, Hawthorne's adventures off-island, Fillmore's trip, once again, to Ascension Island, the gang raising a baby sea turtle they call Clayton, the return of sun-loving polar bear Thornton, Sherman and Ernest's trip to Atlantis and, of course, Sherman's attempts to impress his girlfriend Megan. This is a great work of art and writing that anyone can enjoy, not just fans. It is always funny, often hilarious, and I am proud to own it. I'm sure you would be too. Thanks for another great book, Mr. Toomey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid! Give us more!!, Aug. 3 1999
I've only been a Sherman's Lagoon fan for a short while, but already it has become the only other strip besides Peanuts that I make an effort to read daily. Toomey is hilarious, and this is the best cast of characters I've seen since Bloom County. Each strip is hilarious on its own, but in addition this book has a sense of continuity often missing in collections of newspaper comics. My only quibble is that the dates are left off the strips. As a collector I like knowing exactly when something ran. But other than that, this is a superb collection. Now, when's the third book coming out

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more wild adventures under the sea!, March 8 2000
Our good-looking cartoonist of the sea strikes again! In his second book, Sherman and his wacky crew are turned into human beings, visit New York City and the Nigara Falls, discover the lost city of Alantis and the lost ship of Titanic, run into the legendary Loch Ness monster, and all! Now I'm really looking forward to seeing more stuff from the truly talented Jim P. Toomey with his wicked sense of humor! Too bad this really terrific comic strip about marine life didn't always get to see the light of the day anywhere in the newspaper funnies.

4.0 out of 5 stars on a roll, May 3 2000
ltp1 "ltp1" (Manchester, NH USA) - See all my reviews
For the first 20 pages, I thought I'd write a 3-star review. By the end of the book, the emotional expressiveness had appeared, the edge was there, some good plotlines had developed. Toomey gets in some great jabs when the gang visits the Titanic. The hairless beach apes are always good for a laugh. Once you get to know the characters -- spouses Sherman and Megan, a hedonistic polar bear, an earnest sea turtle, a crabby crab... you start to have fun with them. This strip could go places.

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Affection For Sharks, Aug. 7 1999
By A Customer
Clever, insightful, and fun to boot -- Sherman's Lagoon includes a fun cast of characters and a subtle social commentary. At first sight, Sherman's Lagoon may seem no more than an aquatic Garfield, but from Fillmore's dating troubles to the recent cheez whiz spill in the lagoon, there is more than meets the eye! I don't read comics often, but I always remember to flip to Sherman's Lagoon. Thanks, Jim Toomey!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shark warning!, May 22 2000
G. B. Talovich (Wulai, Taiwan, ROC) - See all my reviews
Beware! Do not read this book when you are eating or drinking. You will either choke or deliver the contents of your mouth all over the immediate environment.
Also not recommended for anyone who has undergone stomach or throat surgery: you will burst your stitches.
so what are the rest of you waiting for? Jump in, the water in the lagoon's great -- and it may not be radioactive anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Great Book, Sept. 1 1999
By A Customer
I have read many comics. I have an inner child i admit, but these are the best of the best. everytime i flip to the comics this is the first thing i read. It is the very funny, but sometimes sophisticated. Also sometimes you can learn things. That is like school and disneyland combined. Very worth while. :-)

Poodle The Other White Meat: A Sherman's Lagoon Collection
Poodle The Other White Meat: A Sherman's Lagoon Collection by Jim Toomey (Paperback - April 1 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.71