4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic for Christian Parents
As the blessed father of four wonderful children, I enjoyed reading this wonderful title from a man who is obviously passionate about the necessity for strong, godly families.
Among the important points Dobson covers include:
1. Idiotic methods of raising children.
Published on March 15 2004 by Michael Taylor

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is NOT the answer!(...)
Answer this...how can you teach your child not to hit, when you are hitting them?????
Published on April 23 2003 by Anna

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is NOT the answer!(...), April 23 2003
Anna (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Dare to Discipline (Hardcover)
This is what I asked myself when I read this book. I was desperate to find a why to discipline my child, so I searched hi and low and discovered this book. I thought it was the way to go and I actually implemented it, and spanked when appropriate and although I hated it (a lot) I THOUGHT this was the only way I could make my child behave. THEN, one day, she was playing with some children on the playground and she slapped another child, and I thought to myself, WOW, my kid must have learned it from me!(...)
You ALL must have heard that all too familiar parent saying...do as I do, not as I say. I didn't want to be a hypocrite to my child. Instead, I did some looking around and found another book that has helped, it is called "Children the Challenge" and it has no nonsense ways of disciplining that made sense. I also recommend "1-2-3 Magic". Neither suggests spanking, and are even MORE effective and gentler, but still sends the message that you are in charge!! Please look at these other books...you won't be disappointed. THIS book is a big disappointment, it isn't the answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Classic for Christian Parents, March 15 2004
Michael Taylor "Michael Taylor" (Indian Trail NC) - See all my reviews
Among the important points Dobson covers include:
1. Idiotic methods of raising children.
2. Principles for commonsense parenting (respect for parents, control without nagging, materialism, and balance between love and discipline.).
3. Laws of reinforcement (grant rewards quickly, rewards do not always have to be material, principles for reinforement).
4. How to help slower students and underachievers.
5. Proper sex education.
6. Biblical reminders for raising children.
All in all, an excellent book for practical suggestions and encouragement from the Bible for properly raising children in the fear and admonition of the Lord!
Read and be encouraged!
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars best book for parents, Dec 5 2002
S. Stryker "bargin hunter" (Truxton, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Dare to Discipline (Hardcover)
This is the best book on parenting I have ever read. It is also excellent for teachers or anyone involved with children. I have begun giving it as a baby shower gift, it's that good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spank, spank, spank, Dec 17 2008
This review is from: The New Dare to Discipline (Hardcover)
Dobson seems to have become famous by catering to the pro-spanking crowd. His ideas are outdated and constitute illegal child abuse/assault. He claims to be a PhD in psychology but he ignores all psychological research showing violent hitting of children produces violent messed up children and adults.

While you can usually beat a little kid into submission, this will backfire by making that kid aggressive to others and more likely to become a criminal or substance abuser. Dobson's cult-like following needs to wake up and learn real methods of communicating with children instead of using brute force to obtain the "desired" behaviour. Don't whip your kids (or dogs) like Dobson has done and wants you to do. Don't go down that road. Look to Jesus's example and teachings instead. Like mercy and forgiveness, concepts that don't seem to have crossed Dobson's mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars very controversial, Sept. 6 2006
This review is from: The New Dare to Discipline (Hardcover)
James Dobson has been around for a long time. He certainly has a large body of literature. If you are familiar with his writing I think you will find that "The New Dare to Discipline" is more of the same. If you have found his previous work insightful and inspirational this may be the book for you. Be aware, Dr. Dobson presents ideas that are very controversial and outside the boundaries of most parenting experts and authorities - you must ask yourself if you want to limit your ideas to discipline to one resource, one authority. Personally, I find my role as parent to be too important to blindly accept everything Dr. Dobson presents. Rather, I suggest you read Dare to Discipline as well as other resources to gain a more rounded and insightful understanding of this most important job (parenting). I really liked to work of Mark Gaskill, MFT (family therapist and parenting expert) as a balancing perspective. His book "Systemic Parenting: An Exploration of the Parenting Big Picture" is superb. These two books are worlds apart. If you are attached to Dobson, great "Dare to Discipline" will be your thing. However, you might want to treat yourself to some newer and fresher ideas by looking elsewhere.

The New Dare to Discipline
The New Dare to Discipline by James C. Dobson (Hardcover - July 7 1992)
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 22.39