5.0 out of 5 stars Why did you have a child?
Published on June 26 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas if kept in perspective.
This book doesn't deserve the uproar it's causing. Dr. Dobson states repeatedly in the book that he advocates spankings only in rare instances of blatant, deliberate disobedience, and not even for all children because children are so different. As for the Christian justification of corporal punishment, that is indeed nonsense and shouldn't be taken literally. But I...
Published on April 23 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did you have a child?, June 26 1999
By A Customer
If you expected a constant flow of affection and appreciation, we are talking about a pet! Even dogs get taught and trained to behave appropriately, so that their company is pleasant. Children are far more precious and in greater need of committed parental devotion, discipline=training in order to become the responsible, kind, loving and productive adults we hope for someday. It doesn't just happen. I picked this book when my oldest was only two, after realizing this parenting thing involved far more than changing diapers and round-the-clock feeding. Having seen the devastating results of no training, neglect and abuse in our own families, I vowed not repeat the same mistakes. I DARED to be a different parent, one that is dead serious about the task. Today our children are 27, 23 and 19. Each one is successful, not only in academics, talents and marketable skills, but also in the excellence of their character. Loving and considerate, they are highly regarded by their employers, spouses and families. I'm thankful for the principles outlined in Dare To Discipline. You don't have to agree with all that suggested in a GOOD book-you need to be wise and choose as your own all that is useful! And then try it out yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for parents of a "strong-willed" child, April 2 1999
By A Customer
I firmly believe in Dr. Dobson's approach to raising a child. I also recommend 'The Strong-Willed Child' by Dr. Dobson. These books were life-savers during a very tumultuous time in our house! He teaches discipline with love, love, and more love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Dobson helped me when I had no where else to turn, Sept. 17 1998
By A Customer
I thought that Dr. Dobson wrote a well-thought out book. The more I read it, the more I saw that I could use some of his examples. I especially liked the example in "The Strong-Willed Child" about letting you kids take responsibility for themselves...such as getting themselves ready for school. I tried this after 6 years of literally fighting with my 12-year-old every morning and it worked!! I've read other reviews and he does not promote violence at all. I believe if parents can consistently and LOVINGLY discipline their children, the world will be a much better place. Parents need to be involved in all aspects of their childrens lives and I think the permissive attitudes are what is wrong in the world (particularly the U.S.) today. Even if a person doesn't believe in God, they can still learn from this man. He believes in leadership and aren't we here for that purpose? To lead our children through their childhood to become successful and productive adults? I give this book Thumbs Up all the Way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong discipline demonstrates strong love, July 8 1998
By A Customer
The best thing you can teach your kids is how to grow up to be successful. Not only does discipline affect your children's behavior when they are young, but it is instrumental to their development of life-long success habits. The most loving thing you can do for your kids is discipline them consistenly.
This book not only demonstrates the necessity of discipline, but also gives concrete examples of how to discipline with love. It provides results of psychological studies showing how a consistently loving and structured environment leads to healthy, happy, and outgoing kids, while the opposite approach leads to stressed, fearful, withdrawn kids. But most comforting, it is a reference book to assure parents that they are on the right track.
This is well worth a read, and then several re-reads. Even if you think your child is too young or too old to benefit from structured discipline, read it. You may be surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars A firm base for the correct discipline of your children, July 19 1998
The fact that James Dobson said he still recommend his way of disciplining kids after 20 years and his own kids being trough the whole process, was the deciding factor for me to not only read this rewrite of his old book, but to also implement it with our children. This book gives a firm base for discipline and treatment of your (and other) children, with lots of true-life case studies (which makes it all the more believable to me). Because he is a pediatrician and a dad and a Christian I know that his basis for everything is right and Biblical. I only WISH me and my husband could have read this book together before our kids were born, but luckily it's not to late now - a lot of "damage" can be reversed, because I now know what I am doing and why. My husband is also reading it. Impossible to go without this book if you are trying to raise your kids and want to do it the best way you (humanly) could..

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent guide for all parents., Oct. 10 1998
By A Customer
After implementing Dr. Dobson's suggestions with all three of my children I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the book and would highly recommend it. I have only spanked my children ONE time for a grievous offense. Dr. Dobson is absolutely correct when he says children need boundaries and guidance. The decision to structure the raising of my children has been absolutely essential to their growth. All of my children know they are greatly loved. The ability to discipline them with love and caring makes the love they feel even stronger. DO NOT believe those who try to make Dr. Dobson out as a person who over-emphasizes spanking. He absolutely does NOT. He justs wants you to demostrate to your children how much you love and care for them by setting guidelines for their behavior just as we do for all other aspects of our childrens lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Sanity in this insane world!, Dec 18 1998
By A Customer
Dobson taught us how to balance the need to show our children love and produce responsible kids. I read the original book 10 years ago and now buy the New one as a baby shower gift. Other parents make comments on how well balanced my kids are. We learned to laugh, love and set boundries. These guidelines brought peace to my home. We're not tyrants, we are respected....and loved. I now have teenagers and I don't know why parents hate this stage. It is challenging, but with great reward. The guidelines stand the test of time. I also recommend Patricia Sprinkle's book on getting your kids to work around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Parent should be required to read this book!, Nov. 27 1997
The best advice on where to draw the lines on yourself as a parent, and what a healthy relationship between a parent and a child looks like. Every parent should read this book. It contains great practical advice that you can start applying today. If you want to be a good parent, and don't know where to turn this is a good start that won't waste your now very precious and limited time. P.S. I have two girls of my own. Dr. Dobson is not just a doctor but a loving father and it shows. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, excellent, excellent , **grandioso**, Dec 4 1998
By A Customer
This book shows the perfect way to raise a child contrary to liberal & foolish ideas a child's spirit won't be broken instead it will teach them discipline, respect for law, authority & others in case you disagree just watch the news & see how must of criminals are young, *wake up America*

5.0 out of 5 stars A book showing discipline with LOVE behind it 100%, May 22 1998
solson@coinet.com (Terrebonne, Oregon) - See all my reviews
I love Dr. Dobson's views and beliefs! His explanation of how to create a family and have that family stick together through thick and thin is easily understood for either the beginning parent, or the well-used ones. A must read for those wanting to uphold the values of the family!

The New Dare to Discipline
The New Dare to Discipline by James C. Dobson (Hardcover - July 7 1992)
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 22.39