5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Homemaking Book I've Read

Published on April 6 2002 by Lorelle Bottrill

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Homemaking Book I've Read, Dec 21 2000
Rosemarie Norton (Douglasville, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
I read this book many years ago. It summed up a beautiful philosophy of homemaking, one that needs to be heard in our day. I had been scoffed at for my choice of staying home with my children, but no one scoffs anymore. Now, after years of following my heart, I have four great children and a beautiful home. I started simply, with ideas including Mrs. Schaeffer's ideas, and the Lord has blessed our family. This book is a must-read for every woman who needs to get a vision of what her home could be. It was wonderfully pleasant to find a kindred spirit in Mrs. Schaeffer...to find someone who agreed that the beautiful things in this world are God-sent and should be echoed in our homes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for Christians, March 12 2003
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
The first principle of the author is that man is created in the image of God. Because God is a God of beauty, His creations are justified to create beauty out of the environment they live.
For a Christian, this is certainly an invaluable book. The author is truly a witness to the gospel she preaches. Edith made a very good observation: many Christians confuse between surrendering their will to God and depriving themselves of every need in their lives. This book is not so much about throwing out 1000 creative ideas as it's about setting the mind right for being creative.
For a nonChristian, the book is likely to be a disappointment because the first principle of the author already doesn't match the reader's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Completely Different, Oct. 3 2002
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
Mrs. Schaeffer's theme was so radically different than anything I had ever come across, that though the book read quickly, it took a lot of time to sink in. This book will be enjoyable for anyone who seeks to make the home the center of life for their family, because it seeks to give honor to the processes that we can take for granted. Cleaning and meal prep, decor and training up little children, as well as thrift are covered.
It may be time to update some of the artwork, although the original drawings were created with the spirit of the books message in mind, so they remain relevant although they give the book a dated appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Art--Very inspiring!, Feb. 2 2000
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
This book is great for anyone who needs a little "life boost". Edith Schaeffer helps you to work with what everyone's got--God-given talent! You may think you can't do anything, but she makes you see that it's the simple things in life that are important to concentrate on and "bring out". (Relationships are important, especially those with children) I only wish I had read this when I first got married or when my kids were younger but its not too late to start doing some of these things NOW. I especially enjoyed her chapter entitled "Interior Decoration". It's never really been a topic of interest to me but she has a lot of simple ideas (and inexpensive) on making your house a "warm" place to want to be! This is a book that everyone could read and be encouraged. I feel that even people who live alone, no matter their age, could benefit from this inspiring book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book., Sept. 2 1999
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
I love this book. Everytime I read it inspires me in my profession as homemaker. Ms. Schaeffer's gentle, creative, intelligent personality shines through brilliantly. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, Jan. 18 1999
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in creating a home that is warm, inviting, and beautiful. Mrs. Schaeffer offers a view of "hidden art" that was new and refreshing to me, as well as giving lots of ideas about how to discover your talents in areas of "creating".

5.0 out of 5 stars Edith teaches us how to serve our families at home., Nov. 28 1998
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
This book gives us "ordinary housewives" a vision to serve our families the way that Proverbs 31 woman modeled for us. Edith gives us practical daily ideas on how to serve the Lord through serving our family and others from our home. We are not to be bored wives all day, but busy making a home for a husband, children, and Jesus when he comes as the hungry, homeless, or naked. How can we serve Jesus more? How can we be a better keeper of the home as Titus 2 encourages us to be? How can we fulfill the Great Commission if we are busy being wives and moms? How can we make our home more peaceful for our family and visitors? How can we be more hospitable? These are some of the things Edith discusses in her book. If we are not a wife or mother this book will teach us to practice serving in this loving way...it all comes down to serving Jesus always, with all that we were made to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book on Art and the details of daily life, Aug. 10 1998
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
This is the best treatment I have ever seen about working out the practical realities of deep theological truths in the details of everyday life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 6 2002
Lorelle Bottrill (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
I was very disappointed with this book. I was hoping it would be full of ideas and inspirations for me as a homemaker. However, it didn't really cover a lot of ground and I found I began skimming each chapter to see if there was going to be some "meat" somewhere, something for me to really grasp hold of and use. In the end I only found a couple of practical ideas.
I also did not enjoy her writing style, lots of aside comments which became really annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirations and blessings, Feb. 22 2002
This review is from: The Hidden Art Of Homemaking (Paperback)
I read this book when I was newly married, in 1980, and this book has been a great inspiration for my life as a woman, a wife and a mother.
Edith Shaffer is the wife of the well known Christian philosopher Francis Scaeffer, and they have together built up the L'Abri community in the Swiss Alps.
Edith Shaeffer says herself about this book: I would define hidden art as the art found in the ordinary areas of everyday life. Each person has, I believe, some talent which is unfulfilled in some hidden area of his being - a talent which could be expressed and developed.
Jesus tells us in the Bible to use our talents, and Hidden Art gives us some great help on this road. I remember when I read it the first time my favorite part was where the writers tells us about taking small children to long services and how to help them to stay concentrate and listen to what the preacher preach. I was not a mother myself then, but I was a Sunday school teacher, and all the children in my Sunday scholl became familiar with the drawings I had learned from Edith Shaeffer.
Other areas the writes tells about are music, painting, interiior decorating, gardening, creative recreation - to name a few.
I'm rereading this book now after more than 20 years. It is lent, and for me lent is a period where I try to find time to be more quiet and live closer to God and the meaning he has for my life. There are many books helping me to walk this road, and Hidden Art is a wonderful book sent from the Almighty God.
Britt Arnhild Lindland

ARRAY(0xf5c7de0)

The Hidden Art Of Homemaking
The Hidden Art Of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer (Paperback - May 10 1985)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26