5.0 out of 5 stars A new Christmas Carol! Wonderful story!
Published on May 12 2000 by Bodie Thoene

3.0 out of 5 stars I was warned, but still a little disappointed!
Rivers is one of my 3 favorite authors, but this one was so very, very brief! My children are too young to appreciate it as family reading and it was just too short and simple for me. Rivers generally arouses deep feelings in me for her characters, but here I was virtually unmoved. I read the warnings here in the reviews and I should have listened!
Published on May 13 2001 by Good Yarns

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for reading aloud by the Christmas Tree, Dec 7 2001
Jeff Royce (Fairfax, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
This is a nice little book that takes 10-15 minutes to read aloud. The story itself is about a little boy named Timmy whose mother cannot take care of him, and God does take care of him. It may bring a little tear to your eye when you read it.
I don't find the book particularly well written, but it is one of the favorite books of my 4-year-old. He would love for me to read it to him every night.
This book also contains the story of the birth of Christ from the Gospels of Matthew and Luke plus a few shorter stories and Christmas recipes.
If you are looking for a book to get your family in the Christmas spirit, this is a good one.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was warned, but still a little disappointed!, May 13 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, Dec 29 2000
Steven Fantina (Phillipsburg, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
Its saccharine count may be slightly high, but The Shoe Box is a creative and touching short Christmas Story. The amiable tale can be polished off in under an hour and there are far worse ways to spend time. It doesn't rival Dickens but tenders a worthwhile addition to Christmas fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new Christmas Carol! Wonderful story!, May 12 2000
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
We read The Shoe Box as a family in Christmas of 1999. This is a beautiful story with all the heart of a Charles Dickens story. We expect to read it again in 2000 and on and on...It's that kind of book. Francine Rivers is an author who is able to reach into the heart and touch lives. There is not one of her books I would not be happy to pass along to my friends. The reviewer who compared Francine's writing to mine might have meant well, but has missed the point. Each of us writes very differently and yet our goal is the same. The Shoe Box is beautiful and powerfully written. Francine Rivers is not only a sister, but a writer I admire tremendously! Read all her books then pass them along. They make a difference!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, March 15 2004
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
It's short, and for that price maybe a bit expencive too... but it's great! When I read it it was like... "this is not that moving at all" - but the end explained all :) really cute.
My mom thought that this is a perfect book to give as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great short story, May 12 2000
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
I happen to like short stories, and this is a good one. The story is short, sweet, and moving, and I appreciated the personal touches the author added from her own life. If you want a good Christmas story to share with your family each holiday, I would highly recommend this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointed, March 16 2000
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
I felt a little disappointed after having read all the reciepes and such. I was looking for a story. The story was good but not Francines best work. Her Mark of the Lion series, Voice in the wind, An echo in the darkness ect. had me on my knees several times petitioning Our Lord to have a spirit like the character Haddesa. Those books showed the world for what it truly is but also gave us the hope that can only come from being in obedience to God.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good little story., Dec 7 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
I have been entertained by many of the Francine Rivers books and this one is no exception. This is a good little story of the type that used to appear in teen magazines as a serial when I was a kid. This book is good for a couple hours entertainment, but for the best (deepest and most meaningful) Christian novels I have to say this author's writing cannot begin to compare to Bodie Thoene's historicals. I have never read a better story for Christmas time than Shiloh Autumn.(I read these two books back to back.) That is a powerful author who touches the deepest heart of what family and Christianity is all about without gratuitous emotion. Real food for the soul. When I pick up Christian fiction I am hoping for something that will have a positive effect on my life, not preach on issues. This book is sweet, as are all of her books. The author often entertains, but does not go into true depth of character or soul. There is a place for both kinds of books and both kinds of authors in the world and if this is what a reader wants than put this in your shoe box and wrap it!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Spirit moves me., Nov. 23 1999
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
This book is a must for getting you in the Christmas Spirit. Short, but very effective. Written for kids of all ages from 2 to 102. The meaning will not be lost. We are blessed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very touching story . One to read every Christmas!, Nov. 17 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Shoe Box (Hardcover)
A fast read that if you could get past the lump in your throat would be an excellent book to read aloud to your children. A very touching story portrayed in a very down-to-earth way. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a little altitude in their attitude.

ARRAY(0xafeb5d20)

The Shoe Box
The Shoe Box by Francine Rivers (Hardcover - Oct. 1 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01