4.0 out of 5 stars Real Life Situations
Published on April 18 2003 by BibleThumper

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Disappointing
This is the last of the books in this never-ending series of books, games, spin off series and more, that I actually made it through. The writing quality dropped with every volume. In less than two decades they wrote 16 novels - over 7200 pages in the main series alone. They have eclipsed Piers Anthony's Xanth which took many decades to write.

In this series I...
Published on Dec 4 2008 by Steven R. McEvoy

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Disappointing, Dec 4 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)

In this series I never really agreed with the author's theological view of the end times, even though the series started off as good fiction, with entertaining books that made a reader think about the end times. Yet as the series dragged on, the writing became weaker and weaker, and for myself and many I know the authors lost the audience. I never made it through the whole series and I doubt I will ever go back and finish it. It really is a pity as there was so much potential in this series.

Everybody is out to be the one to kill the Antichrist (Nicolae) - Mac, Abdula, Chiem, Rayford. But we are left hanging about what really happens. The Trib Force team again loses members, Doc dies and Leih joins the team. Cameron travels to Israel again and sees the two witnesses resurrected and called up to heaven.

However even with all the action this was the end for me. I did not make it through any more books of the 16 in the series. The books in publication sequence are:

Left Behind:
The Rising: The Antichrist is Born
The Regime: Evil Advances
The Rapture: In the Twinkling of an Eye
Kingdom Come

In the end it just seemed link a money-making ploy, with graphic novels, cds, teen versions, a video game and more. It is a pity this series dropped in quality so much. Jenkins went on to write an excellent trilogy - Soon, Silenced and Shadowed, that were set in a different interpretation of a future with a one world government.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Disappointing, Dec 4 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Assassins: Assignment: Jerusalem, Target: Antichrist (Paperback)

Left Behind:
The Rising: The Antichrist is Born
The Regime: Evil Advances
The Rapture: In the Twinkling of an Eye
Kingdom Come

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Life Situations, April 18 2003
I have liked the whole series of books. After Sept. 11 I can really see that people like Nicolae could really exist. There are bad people in the world ... who would kill at the drop of a hat. All of our lives should be prepared to die at any minute. These books have really got me re-evaluating my walk with Christ. This book was the best one of the series. One thing I have really liked in this book is how the good guys actually felt anger and wanted to hurt and kill people. It made the series more realistic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The continuing story of those Left Behind..., June 2 2003
By A Customer
After reading "Conquest of Paradise" by Britt Gillette, I was instantly turned onto biblical end times literature, and I instantly started reading the Left Behind series. From book one, I was totally hooked, and I've read up through book seven in less than a couple of weeks.
In "Assassins", the adventure and intrigue of the Left Behind series continues unabated with an interesting twist. Unlike the others, this book concentrates on a fundamental theological question: "Is it righteous to kill someone who is evil?" While the antichrist, Nicolae Carpathia, works around the clock to rebuild the world's infrastructure and government to serve his own ends, the Tribulation Force and member Rayford Steele struggle spiritually with a plan to assassinate Carpathia. Meanwhile, Buck Williams builds a large following via his Internet magazine The Truth, and Hattie Durham (former colleague of Rayford Steele and former mistress of Carpathia) joins the ranks of the true believers in the Tribulation Force. "Assassins" continues the brilliant storytelling of LaHaye and Jenkins with masterful suspense and full cognizance of the scriptures. Fans who have made it this far will not be disappointed.
I can't wait to find out what happens next. I look forward to reading books seven through twelve, and I encourage other Left Behind fans to pick up "Conquest of Paradise: An End-Times Nano-Thriller" as additional reading. That book got me interested in this series, and what a great book! What "Left Behind" lacks in realism, "Conquest of Paradise" adds in abundance. The prose is much more advanced and the international politics are identical to the current world scene and the war on terror. Peppered with biblical verses, "Conquest of Paradise" will turn even the most hardened skeptics into believers, or at least it will make them think twice. It's one lovers of end-times fiction shouldn't miss.
Book seven, "The Indwelling" continues the adventures of the Tribulation Force, and the infamous antichrist becomes indwelled by the devil himself. Can't wait to read the rest!

2.0 out of 5 stars A failure, July 9 2004
I am an ardent believer in Christ, but that does not mean that anything written about Christianity should be endorsed and embraced regardless of its quality. I have read all 12 of these novels and they simply aren't very good. The writing is poor, the plot unimaginative, and there certainly isn't anything in these books that will cause a Christian to re-examine and thus more fully embrace our beliefs. Look, I don't doubt that the authors had the best intentions with these books, but quality has to count for something. There are better alternatives out there. Try We All Fall Down by Caldwell. It's well-written and extreimly intelligent. If you're going to read about Christianity, read something that is worth your time.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you could kill a murderer, would you?, June 20 2004
What if you did have the power to stop a killer before he killed everyone you knew and loved? That is the question the plagues several main characters who are each determined to be the Assassin as prophesized in The Book of Revelations. This assassination is key to the transition for Nicolae Carpathia to fulfill the next step in his final days. Without this event he cannot claim to be God and raise himself from the dead.
Rayford Steele wants to destroy the man who killed his wife Amanda. Buck Williams wants to reveal Nicolae as the AntiChrist through his cyberspace magazine. Tsion is determined to preach in Jerusalem, though it is more dangerous for him to do so than for any other man. Hattie Durham, the former airline stewardess and Carpathia's mistress, wants to vanquish the man who impregnated and then abandoned her. And those who were under the mind control of the AntiChrist, but have been freed, have their own special vengeance to deliver.
So, the question is: The assassination begins the second half of the seven year tribulation, and it must be done, but when the motive is based in hatred, how can it be God's work? That's the conundrum I see.
LaHaye and Jenkins address this question several times, but do not have an answer either. However, they seem to be riding the crest of their own writing and it has become stronger. Cliffhangers actually hang, surprises are just that, and the killer is unexpected. The question of right or wrong is a personal one.
This is another adventure in the ride through the end-times. It is fiction, there is a great deal of doctrine liberally doled out, and it is based on the last book of the Bible. This one has good cliff hanging escapades throughout.
I'm sure one of the reasons that I like this series is that the philosophy parallels my own. But such are all reviews - simply personal opinions. I've read six, and I'll read six more.
Victoria Tarrani

3.0 out of 5 stars Left Behind is spinning it's wheels, Feb. 11 2004
P. Solinger (Yuma, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
I'll admit that I do enjoy this series of books. I'm hardly a Conservative Christian who is living each day for the Gorious Appearing of Jesus Christ, but I do enjoy a good end-times story as much as the next person. Granted you better be prepared for a whole lot of preaching and a single-minded viewpoint if you're going to read this series.
The series officially turns the corner this time around as the Tribulation Force make plans for the assaination of Nicolae Carpathia. They know that God will select someone to do the deed and they all want the job, but in the end only one person will be responsible. And that person will probably die themselves. Meanwhile, the airhead stewardess, Hattie Durham, runs away from the safe house, supposedly to get a chance to kill her ex-hubby, Nicolae. This is a good thing, because she rarely appears in this novel. Hattie is a horrible caricature that LeHaye portrayed, and the series will be much better if she weren't in it. Basically, the story slowly progresses, leading to the assination at the end of the novel and a cliffhanger that they hope will make you want to come back for more.
This is a good work of fiction, with an exciting storyline, but the characters are paper-thin and the dialogue is ridiculous. More then once I rolled my eyes when I read lines about characters "dropping to their knees and weeping" about Jesus. Only on staged evangelical shows will you ever see that. Personally, I pray for the people who are reading this series of novels as how they believe the future will play out. It's a very loose interpretation of the book of Revelations, but it is merely a work of fiction. Let's not forget that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite Of The Series, Jan. 4 2004
This one let me down a little. I love the series as a whole, but I think Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins had a cold streak on this one. Compared to The Mark or Soul Harvest it doesn't hold up. But ya can't go skippin' books now can you? Force your way through it. You don't even wanna know what I thought of The Indwelling. I'll skip that review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Climax Esculates as the Great Tribulation Unfolds, June 17 2003
shoutgrace "savedbyhisgrace" (Charleston, WV United States) - See all my reviews
'Assassins: Assignment: Jersalem, Target: AntiChrist,' book #6 of the 'Left Behind series' reaches it's climatic confrontation of the forces of good and evil battle for supermacy in a world without leadership. A Horde of 200 million demonic horsemen slays a third of the world population. The Tribulation Force face the future as fugitives risking their lives to warn others of the Great Deception of the AntiChrist. It's here that history and prophecy come together in Jerusalem for the most breathless and explosive episode in a plot to destroy the AntiChrist as foretold in Revelation 13:1-2.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoyed Left Behind . . ., May 1 2003
If you enjoy Left Behind, I would strongly second what so many other reveiwers have already said and suggest The
Christ Clone novels and We All Fall Down by Brian Caldwell. Both are similar to Left Behind but vastly different in aproach. I read them while waiting for the eleventh Left Behind and, while I love that series, found them to be just as good, and possibly better.

ARRAY(0xb3658ec4)

Assassins: Assignment: Jerusalem, Target: Antichrist
Assassins: Assignment: Jerusalem, Target: Antichrist by Jenkins Jerry B. Jenkins (Paperback - Oct. 2 2000)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 14.39