5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer is soo powerful!!
In these books Frank Peretti shows the importance of prayer, and sometimes in this day and age we forget it. God can use our prayers in ways we can't even imagine. In this book Tal can't opperate without the prayers of the saints ,and it's no different in real life.
Published on May 16 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging story, but disappointing sequel
Published on July 7 2004 by Brian Hulett

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging story, but disappointing sequel, July 7 2004
Brian Hulett "okierazorbacker2" (Oinklahoma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
As in "This Present Darkness," the first of this two-novel series, Peretti gives us glimpses into the spiritual warfare going on invisibly around us. His speculation on the nature of the demonic hierarchy is perhaps the most interesting part of this series, but he seems to not develop that much at all here, nor are the angelic guardians of Earth given much more to do than ride in at the last moment to save the day....again.
There is, however, a twist to this novel that is actually an improvement on the first. The plot line concerning the humans in the first novel was an attempt by Satan's forces to overtake an entire college town, and was a bit predictable. I must admit I prefer the human plot line here, which centers on a mystery regarding a woman named Sally Roe.
Overall, however, for whatever reason, this second installment did not draw me in as completely and has not proven as memorable as the original "This Present Darkness." Mark this one down as a good idea that was not as well realized as the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prayer is soo powerful!!, May 16 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!, April 9 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
Perretti overdoes himself again. Peircing the Darkness is another great book about spiritual warfare. It keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. With some of the same characters as the first, This Present Darkness, you'll read all day and night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than The First! Captivating and Inspiring..., March 10 2004
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
I liked this story much better than its predecessor, This Present Darkness. I liked both books very well, but this one was a more gripping story. It had me turning pages, one after the other, and reading during all hours of the night.
My only disappointment with this book is that it is the last is this story line. I would have liked to se several more books along this line with re-occurring characters popping up every now and then.
Peretti is a master, to say the least. This book is inspiring and makes you see the awesome power of prayer. I really recommend this story for all aged readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Praise of An Excellent Novel ! !, Feb. 23 2004
Bette L. Hall CMA, NHC (Oil Capital, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
Piercing The Darkness by Frank Peretti is a story about fences, mole hills, a spiritual battle, and the ultimate triumph of the Kingdom of God. It's a story of good and evil! The spiritual realm is very real and for this reason I admonish anyone who reads these words to develop their prayer life and relationship with the Lord.
There's a Biblical account of Daniel where he asked the Lord to turn away His anger and let His face shine on Jerusalem. Daniel began his prayer by repenting for departing from the Lord's precepts and judgements and for disobedience and rebellion.
Then Daniel confessed the greatness of God when he said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him and with those who keep His commandments." And when he said, "O Lord, righteousness belongs to you." And, "To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness though we have rebelled against Him."
While Daniel was praying for himself and the people of Israel, an angel came to him and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you skill to understand." Then the angel told Daniel that the Lord heard his prayers from the start-from the very first prayer when he humbled himself. The angel continued, "But the prince of the Kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days."
The existence of heavenly beings and demonic beings is not a fairy tale or bad dream. Although "Piercing the Darkness" is a fictional novel, there are spiritual battles going on all around us and for all we know, Peretti's account of the battles could be exactly how it happens. His accounts of these battles are believable.
By the way, fences and mole hills are symbolic of a deeper meaning. Read the book to find out what that's all about.
My favorite character is Sally Beth Roe. You will be surprised about the things this intelligent woman has done and does at every turn. Not only is she my favorite character, but she's a heroine in her own rights. If this was a true story, all the angels in heaven would be rejoicing over her. Read the book to find out why.
This book is not for everyone, but I give it five stars. Reading for many hours at one sitting, I couldn't put it down. It had me captivated.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love His "Spiritual Thrillers"!, Feb. 18 2004
I always give Frank E Peretti credit with being one of my favorite authors,why,because I read his first two books years ago and have never forgotten them! His books are so exciting and fun to read, while at the same time being spiritually thought-provoking and inspirational!A very different "type" of book that I can only describe as "spiritual thriller", and oh how I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars And once again, we have a winner!, Jan. 29 2004
Drew T. Roe (Murray, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
Frank Peretti has written another excellent book in "Piercing the Darkness." I found it to be an excellent story of just what drives the world around us. As much as we hate to admit it, it isn't us! This book (and its predecessor, "This Present Darkness") is an excellent illustration of just what goes on around us in the world we can't see. It shows us just how angels and demons are all around us, and how they are constantly at battle. The theme of spiritual warfare is something that I think is addressed extremely well as it's not just a book explaining it, but rather, a fiction story, that illustrates it in an absolutely riveting way! If you want a good book to read, I will definitely recommend "Piercing the Darkness," by Frank Peretti!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Like The First, Dec 26 2003
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
In PIERCING THE DARKNESS, Frank E. Peretti takes themes from his novel, THIS PRESENT DARKNESS, and expands them to new levels. Anyone who liked the frist book will also like this second book. I liked both of them. However, I feel it necessary to point out a couple of things that are so simple everyone should understand, but don't seem to.
STRENGTHS: This book is full of intrigue, suspense, and conflict. It has all of the good ingredients of an interesting novel. It might offend some who already have a bias toward fundamentalist Christianity, but that bias probably was there looking for an outlet anyway.
WEAKNESSES: This book is a work of fiction. Like any good novel, it creates a believable imaginary world based on Scriptural principles, but the world is still imaginary. It is fun to talk about, much like the movie, THE MATRIX, but one should not base doctrinal beliefs on one author's creation.
MY ADVICE: My advice for this novel, just as for the first one, is: Read it for fun (I liked it a lot). Discuss the ideas in it (I did), but if you really want something to sink your teeth in, stick to biographies of great Christians. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction and a whole lot more fascinating.

1.0 out of 5 stars B-O-R-I-N-G, July 14 2003
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Paperback)
I just don't see how you people have rated this book so highly. It seems almost as if a high school student had a crazy idea for a short story, then was prodded on by their teacher to turn it into a several hundred page book. I can barely even get through the first few chapters, much less finish the book. It seems to me that Peretti has a loser in this one. The Visitation, alse by Peretti, is a MUCH better book, and is MUCH more interesting.
I guess you could read this book at night if you need help falling asleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not the bible, people., July 7 2003
Helena Troi (Midland, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Piercing the Darkness (Mass Market Paperback)
First off, I would like to say that OF COURSE this book is one person's opinion. Isn't that what all novels are?
Secondly, Peretti is writing to Christians, most of whom have the same opinions as he does. This is definitely Christian entertainment.
That said, it is darn good Christian entertainment. It's an exciting page turner, just like the first. It is current, exciting, and heartwarming. I love the depiction of Sally Roe. And the book doesn't stereotype about all Liberals. Just about some who have deliberate anti-christian agendas - which does exist. Score another for Peretti - this is a great book.

Piercing the Darkness
Piercing the Darkness by Frank E. "Peretti " (Mass Market Paperback - July 22 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49