5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but troubling

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but troubling, June 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
This was my first Francine Rivers' book and I found it riveting, but also troubling. I found myself wondering about how many pastors today find themselves in the same predicament as Paul Hudson. They get so wrapped up in buildings, numbers of people attending and financial matters, that they lose the focus of their ministry. I also wondered how many pastors' wives and families are suffering this same torture as Eunice and Timmy at the hands of a dictatorial husband/father who is too busy trying to grow the church that he forgets to nurture his own family. The characters of Samuel and Abby set such a wonderful example of what a true christian should be . I think this should be required reading for all people entering the ministry. Though it is fiction, there is sadly, a lot of truth contained in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building a goldy ministry or building a personal legacy?, Jan. 12 2004
Amazon Customer (Rockford, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
What happens when a pastor builds a church in his own power and for his own glory, instead of keeping the focus on the leading of God? The results can be disastrous, both for the shepherd and for his flock...and Francine Rivers' And the Shofar Blew (Tyndale House) illustrates this vividly.
Francine Rivers is one of my favorite authors, and this book reminded me just why that's so. It's been a while since I read one of Francine's books. Once I obtained a copy of this one, I plunged in headfirst and came up for air only when absolutely necessary.
As a pastor's daughter married to a pastor's son, I can tell you firsthand that a pastor's life is a difficult one, and the same goes for his wife and children. If the pastor's focus on the Lord wavers--if his desire to build a ministry shifts to personal ambition and a need to create a monument to his own glory and legacy--everyone suffers.
As the story begins, we see Centreville Christian Church literally dying...peopled with a handful of senior citizens who are weary or ill or both. The hero of the book, to my mind, is Samuel...the aging elder whose godly wisdom and steadfast devotion to the Lord and His Word form the anchor for all of the characters and action in the book. When the elderly pastor suffers a serious health crisis and has to retire, Samuel persuades his crusty fellow elders that the church should go on, but with a new pastor.
Enter Paul Hudson. Young, bright, enthusiastic, and full of energy and ideas, Paul hits the ground running. But he carries his own heavy baggage in that he is the son of a famous pastor of a megachurch...a father who never had time for him and whose approval he can never quite earn. Early on, he begins to run roughshod over anyone who stands in the way of his ambition, ignoring and even resenting Samuel's wise and godly counsel.
We sympathize with Paul's wife Eunice, who suffers mostly in silence as she watches her husband slowly turn into a copy of his dad. Some reviewers have critized Eunice's inaction and ultra-submissiveness, but I've seen many such pastors wives--lovely and godly women who are simply trying to please God despite their husband's increasing neglect and even cruelty. I don't believe this makes Eunice a less appealing character; as a reader, I found myself drawn to her and hurting for her.
Eventually, though, even Eunice has to take a stand as matters come to a tragic head. The story is truly a cautionary tale about what happens when a pastor's zeal for the ministry becomes a quest for personal glory and validation.
A subplot about Stephen Decker, a contractor who becomes caught up in Paul Hudson's ambition, is interesting, but was sometimes a bit distracting as I found myself more concerned with what was happening with Paul, Eunice, their son Timothy, and Paul's parents.
Also, I would have to agree with the reviewers who were a bit skeptical of Paul's sudden change of heart. Damascus Road experiences do happen, but the turnaround can include massive struggles. I would have liked to have perhaps seen Rivers write a sequel in which she dealt with the aftermath of Paul's repentance.
But those a minor criticisms. Overall, an excellent and absorbing read that packs a powerful message.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Feb. 11 2014
Couldn't put it down. Recommend to all pastors and laypeople alike. With mega churches on the rise, we should all be aware of our true purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, April 20 2013
totally loved this book. it shows us how our ambitions can get in the way of God's. I've recommended thjs book to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Francine Rivers books, July 23 2014
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
One of my favorite Francine Rivers books, a gripping story with an emotional climax. Rivers writes modern stories as wonderfully as her classics. I lend this to everyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful writer, but not her best, July 14 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
I am a huge Francine Rivers fan, but this was definitely not my favorite book. Perhaps because I have been a pastor's wife for more than 13 years, it was difficult to read about a pastor who failed so miserably. The writing itself, as usual, is riveting and insightful. However, I was not at all inspired by the character of Eunice. Under those circumstances, I would have fought much harder for my family. Some of the choices made by the main characters and the turn of events also seemed unrealistic. Why would a pastor and elders ignore biblical wisdom? Why would a husband, who had at one time built strong, loving relationships with his wife and son, later be able to completely ignore them? Most of all, I wondered how a church could continue to grow by leaps and bounds for years when a dismal lack of spiritual maturity is evident in the pastor. I have enjoyed other books by Francine Rivers, such as Leota's Garden and Redeeming Love, far more than this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book- a timely topic, June 8 2004
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
This is a story line that is very true to the condition of the church today. It's time to get back to godliness. There were many times when I would have liked to smack Paul Hudson for being so horrible to his wife. And when he slapped her... well let's just say I wanted to choke him (I know, I know, not very christian). Eunice Hudson annoyed me too. She was too accomodating of her husbands temper tantrums. And Paul's father-Sheesh! What a wolf in sheeps clothing! Well, this was another fascinating story from Francine. Good job!

5.0 out of 5 stars Francine Rivers can't put the books out fast enough-love em!, May 5 2004
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
I love all of the Francine Rivers books. I have all of them and I can't get them fast enough. She is so talented and the reading is so encouraging. I always come away with a renewed faith and hope. My husband laughs because I will often sit and read the whole book in two nights, I just can't put them down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits Most of the Major Problems in the American Church, April 20 2004
Julia (Chanhassen, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
What I found most compelling about this book was that Ms. Rivers hit most of the issues the modern American evangelical church is facing. Does size matter? Does it really mean that God is blessing your ministry when things seem to go the way you want them to when you haven't even really sought His face through prayer? Why are new age practices being accepted into the evangelical church? Two books I would recommend are A Time of Departing by Ray Youngen and This Little Church Went to Market by Gary Gilley on those subjects. This book also prompted me to pray fervently for the leadership of my church and their families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Origination, Separation, Restoration, March 27 2004
James Mershon (Norfolk, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And the Shofar Blew (Hardcover)
Isn't it amazing what a prayer can do? Throughout the novel, Francine Rivers used an innovative writing technique that enabled we the readers to examine the minds and thoughts of the characters as they lifted up countless prayers to God as different situations unfolded, simultaneously reiterating a forgotten duty - to pray without ceasing. Weaved in and through each family represented in the story, Rivers slowly, but in just the right timing, unfolds God's "vision" for each of them, and by God's grace and patience, long suffering and love, showered upon just the right people at the right time, we witnessed the Lord's uncompromising promises come to fruition. One family in particular witnessed to me, and that was the relationship between Stephen Decker, his daughter Brit, and his ex-wife Kat. From desolation to delight, how amazing is God's love as a once broken family reunites, solely by the grace of God. Just like a cat, they land back on their feet by story's end. Returning to God's origination of dignity, purpose, and equality; fleeing from Satan's attempts at separation through fear, shame, unforgiveness; accepting Christ's restoration through peace, forgiveness, and relationship. We see this in the way the Lord began weaving Stephen's pursuits from building the "Majestic" of his dreams to considering priesthood, learning compassion, he showers patience, peace, and unconditional love upon his ex-wife and daughter; reuniting Brit's ambitions from rebellion, to establishing relationship with her father, her new friend Jake, and interestingly, I forsaw a hope that her relationship with her mother would one day be reestablished; and finally, bringing Kat's self-centered lifestyle to repentance, as she returns to God's origination for herself and her family, treating herself and them with dignity, purpose, and equality. A lesson for us all!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

And the Shofar Blew
And the Shofar Blew by Francine "Rivers " (Paperback - Jan. 22 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01