5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and revealing
This book is written as though it were a play, in an easy and understandable manor. I really enjoyed the format, it is very imaginative and I found myself not wanting to put it down. The storytelling ability of Gene Edwards is phenomenal.
Published on Nov. 24 2003 by Shane

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
While Edwards' book is great literature, I found it theologically, biblically, and pastorally empty for those traumatized by abusive churches and denominational leadership. Where is NT church discipline where we call both members and leaders into account in a gentle spirit that speaks the truth in love. I much prefer VanVonderen's When God's People Let You Down and books...
Published on May 6 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and revealing, Nov. 24 2003
Shane (Lynden, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
Though this tale, he takes the reader through the choices of three kings-Saul, David and Absalom. The choices they made concerning authority and brokenness are lessons with great value. I recommend this book because there is deep truth in it, not to replace scripture, but to show scripture in action.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this book intriguing., Sept. 9 2003
Robert Wynkoop (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
This book is must reading for every church leader. It is a study of the use and misuse of authority. In it, Edwards examines the lives of King Saul who demanded allegiance and held onto power at all cost; the life of King David who would not pursue power or hold onto it by force even when faced with rebellion; and David?s son, Absalom, the man who would become king by leading a rebellion.
The book was written especially to address the problem of submission and authority in the modern church. An underlying theme of this magnificent tale is that one cannot know for certain who are anointed by God and who are not; whom God has blessed and whom He as not. True leaders often make mistakes and pretenders to the crown can often look Godly; therefore, we should be very careful about passing judgment on our leaders.
These three simple stories convey more meaning and impact than a scholarly tome on authority. Edwards follows the example set by Jesus by telling simple stories to convey deep theological truths. His insight that leadership, even Godly leadership, is inherently flawed because God works through flawed people is excellent. Also worthy of note is the insight not to rush to judgment when condemning authority. The message needs to be heard in our impatient culture. Edwards notes that men who thought they were doing the will of God murdered both Jesus and Stephen.
There are two significant weaknesses in this book.. First, the story is incomplete. It ends with David retreating from Jerusalem with Absalom holding power. Edwards fails to tell us that the story really ends with David doing battle with the rebels and Absaloms subsequent death. David did fight for his throne. Second, we live in an age where everyone believes they have the inherent right to question authority. Edwards does not address the need to teach on authority and submission as contrasted with demanding it. Boomers and Xers often have no idea of submission. Even many who were born before World War II do not understand the biblical concept of authority; like Korah who rebelled against Moses, they hold to a democratic model of authority. If we do not each our people the biblical concepts of authority and submission, how will they learn?
This book is a sobering reminder that all church polity is ultimately congregational. Leaders cannot demand the allegiance of their people. If my people choose not to follow my leadership by withdrawing their attendance, offerings and service, I will fail as a leader. I was especially helped by Edwards observation that all kings have their critics. Leaders are flawed vessels of God?s anointing. Rebels may promise the world, but they can only deliver it with the cooperation of the people. If the people grow tired, wither the rebels dream may fail, or a dictatorship must be established.
Again, this book is must reading for all church leaders. As a political science major, B.S. University of Oregon, 1973, I found this book intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter, angry, hurt???, June 24 2002
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
A must read book!!! Have you yourself found yourself in a chain events that doesn't seem fair? If so read this book! This book is about three kings and what happened to king David, but this book will help to bring insight even working in the world. Me I work for a church, but found that this book will also give you hope in any job that you work in. Ever felt abused, neglected, unheard, or thrown to the side. Find out in this book what to do. It will change your thinking, your responses, and your attitude about people It will help you to become a better person. Our life long attitudes and responses that we have about people will be radically changed thru how we respond to how and what King David went through. We all have authority over us but it is how we respond that will give us out of life what we receive. This book helped me to see and understand people. This book saved me at my deepest darkest hour with people. Helped me to understand who I was! Opened my eyes. A must read book of survival!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a tyrant or a brat in your life?, May 25 2002
Jeffrey E Ellis (Naperville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
Do you work or live with a tyrant? Got a spoiled brat in your life? David did. Had both. He served a crazy king who tried to kill him and had a vain, self-absorbed son who tried to usurp him. Both nearly succeeded.
How David coped with these insane situations with God's love, grace, and wisdom have changed my life. The patience, respect for God, surrender, and trust in the Lord spoke powerfully to me through the years of history between us. David's unique reactions revealed Jesus Christ to me in a new way.
David's struggles dwarfed mine but the lessons of his life challenged me to become a better Christian - a man of honor - a man of God.
Gene Edwards has a gift for cutting through difficult topics on a unique slant. He brings a new level of understanding to old problems, stories, and issues. There were times when reading this book that I had to stop, lay it down, and catch my breath as new revelation washed over me.
A strong recommendation for the thoughtful believer who is willing to go to the next level of faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars For leaders, would be leaders, and all who have been hurt, Dec 5 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
In his picture-painting style, Gene Edwards brings us back to the time of David.Starting when David was just a shepherd boy,the author unfolds one of the most incredible stories from the bible and turns it into a tale of three kings.He shows David as the vulnerable young boy who would be king, singing and playing his harp to keep himself company,practicing his stone slinging, which would one day be used by God to vanquish Goliath.His faith and lack of fear of things of this world is shown perfectly by the author as he kills bears and takes on the nine foot Goliath as a boy while the other men cower.Saul is depicted as the madman he was,tormented by the spirit sent from God,Saul is shown as one who has fallen from God's grace, and even when he tries to kill David,David honors him as one chosen by God.Absalom is shown as the egotistical self-centered son, who uses everyone and anyone to try to destroy hisown father. This work shows the integrity of David as well as his humanity.One of the best statements in

4.0 out of 5 stars A profound look into the purpose of why Christians suffer, Dec 28 1999
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
A Tale Of Three Kings is a an awesome piece of Christian literature. If you are tired of all the "holy spirit, healing, prosperity, achieving wealth through biblical principles" type books, than Gene Edwards is your man. In this book, Gene lays out a refreshing perspective on brokeness that is not quite traditional in mainstream "Sunday school, pulpit preachings". Through his wonderful and simplistic story telling style, Gene goes into the depths of the hearts of three kings, namely King Saul, King David, and King Absolom. Not only will this book aid in your journey towards the deep things of the Lord and His ways, but it will cause us to look into our very hearts and ask the question, "which heart of these Kings do I have....." Indeed men fix things that break, but after we read this book we emerge w/ the understanding that God breaks men to fix them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, March 12 2003
James T Humphrey II (Huntersville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
Quite possibly the best book ever written about kingdom authority and submission (with hints of obedience.) This novel looks at the lessons of authority and submission from the lives of three individuals...King Saul, King David, and wouldbe-king Absalom. If you ever get a book on the issues of authority and submission...this is the one to get.
Yes, only 90 some pages, and easily read within 2 hours. You will get to see what king Saul thought of David, and what David thought of Saul (part 1). Later, you will get to see the rise of Absalom, and the struggle of David on how to deal with the issue. Shall David be towards Absalom as he was in his youth in regard to Saul? Or shall he be towards Absalom as Saul was towards himself?
Buy it, read it, and for those of you in positions of leadership, try to get into the hands of other leaders at your church.

5.0 out of 5 stars God's Pruning, Jan. 5 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
The reader immediately becomes engrossed in the lives of three ancient kings. But, as you read Edwards sneaks up and thrusts you into the middle of the kingdom. Soon, you find God is not just pruning David as he serves King Saul but you find that God is pruning deadness from your own life. Do you serve a mad king? Perhaps. You ask but God does not tell. Do you continue to serve? How long do you serve this king who might be mad? Why do you continue to serve this king? Are you a leader whose kingdom is threaten? What do you do? Gene Edwards answers these questions by allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to each reader individually. He never pushes his own thoughts or agenda. He allows the Holy Spirit to guide us into submission to God's purposes and plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Three King: A Study of Brokenness, Feb. 18 2000
Shirley Robertson (Charlotte, North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
I have owned this book for years. The other night God had me to read this book at 11:30 pm. I read the first chapter and I wanted to put it down (it made me weep). Gene Edwards said I know you didn't like that chapter and you won't like the other chapter either. He was right. It showed me of myself. When I read I heard myself saying the same words that I was reading. After each chapter, God said keep reading. This book was awesome. I never looked at David the way he was protrayed in this book. I read the whole book before going to bed. I learned alot about myself, people in church and especially leadership over me. Everyone should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must reading for those who have been victimized by others., Nov. 19 1997
This review is from: A Tale of Three Kings (Paperback)
It is very tempting to conclude that the painful things in life that happen to us are mere accidents, or, perhaps, the malicious ways of others. But, in A TALE OF THREE KINGS, Gene Edwards shows us that the key to survival is our RESPONSE! He points this out in David's response to Saul, and his later treatment of Absalom. After reading this book, the reader has a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. It is no longer a case of others doing me wrong, but, a case of ME learning to respond to others, INSPITE OF THE WAY I AM TREATED. This book can assist the reader in moving away from the "victim mentality."

A Tale of Three Kings
A Tale of Three Kings by Gene Edwards (Paperback - June 2 1992)
CDN$ 11.40 CDN$ 11.28