5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
I have literally bought over 50 copies of this book over the years to hand out to as many as would like. I personally read it at least once per year...this book is a TOP 10 IN YOUR LIFETIME
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on May 6 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Feb. 27 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, May 6 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
While Edwards' book is great literature, I found it theologically, biblically, and pastorally empty for those traumatized by abusive churches and denominational leadership. Where is NT church discipline where we call both members and leaders into account in a gentle spirit that speaks the truth in love. I much prefer VanVonderen's When God's People Let You Down and books like Allender's Bold love that help us deal abusive people. I'm sorry that I bought the book and will not read anything more by this author although I had thought about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep and revealing, Nov. 24 2003
Shane (Lynden, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
This book is written as though it were a play, in an easy and understandable manor. I really enjoyed the format, it is very imaginative and I found myself not wanting to put it down. The storytelling ability of Gene Edwards is phenomenal.
Though this tale, he takes the reader through the choices of three kings-Saul, David and Absalom. The choices they made concerning authority and brokenness are lessons with great value. I recommend this book because there is deep truth in it, not to replace scripture, but to show scripture in action.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A priceless lesson in humility, June 5 2009
andrew luchies (hamilton, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
ESSENTIAL for anyone who is in spiritual leadership. The insights in the book will keep you reading it again and again to gain more wisdom. First with it, I read it 3 times in 3 days. Unbelievable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this book intriguing., Sept. 9 2003
Robert Wynkoop (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
This book is must reading for every church leader. It is a study of the use and misuse of authority. In it, Edwards examines the lives of King Saul who demanded allegiance and held onto power at all cost; the life of King David who would not pursue power or hold onto it by force even when faced with rebellion; and David?s son, Absalom, the man who would become king by leading a rebellion.
The book was written especially to address the problem of submission and authority in the modern church. An underlying theme of this magnificent tale is that one cannot know for certain who are anointed by God and who are not; whom God has blessed and whom He as not. True leaders often make mistakes and pretenders to the crown can often look Godly; therefore, we should be very careful about passing judgment on our leaders.
These three simple stories convey more meaning and impact than a scholarly tome on authority. Edwards follows the example set by Jesus by telling simple stories to convey deep theological truths. His insight that leadership, even Godly leadership, is inherently flawed because God works through flawed people is excellent. Also worthy of note is the insight not to rush to judgment when condemning authority. The message needs to be heard in our impatient culture. Edwards notes that men who thought they were doing the will of God murdered both Jesus and Stephen.
There are two significant weaknesses in this book.. First, the story is incomplete. It ends with David retreating from Jerusalem with Absalom holding power. Edwards fails to tell us that the story really ends with David doing battle with the rebels and Absaloms subsequent death. David did fight for his throne. Second, we live in an age where everyone believes they have the inherent right to question authority. Edwards does not address the need to teach on authority and submission as contrasted with demanding it. Boomers and Xers often have no idea of submission. Even many who were born before World War II do not understand the biblical concept of authority; like Korah who rebelled against Moses, they hold to a democratic model of authority. If we do not each our people the biblical concepts of authority and submission, how will they learn?
This book is a sobering reminder that all church polity is ultimately congregational. Leaders cannot demand the allegiance of their people. If my people choose not to follow my leadership by withdrawing their attendance, offerings and service, I will fail as a leader. I was especially helped by Edwards observation that all kings have their critics. Leaders are flawed vessels of God?s anointing. Rebels may promise the world, but they can only deliver it with the cooperation of the people. If the people grow tired, wither the rebels dream may fail, or a dictatorship must be established.
Again, this book is must reading for all church leaders. As a political science major, B.S. University of Oregon, 1973, I found this book intriguing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Broken Hearts are Better, July 10 2003
Paul M. Dubuc (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
This book is a very insightful dramatization of the contrast in character quality found in three Old Testament kings: Saul, David and Absalom. If you are familiar with the biblical story of these three kings (in the books of 1st and 2nd Samuel) you'll be impressed with how true this character study rings and how applicable its lessons are for today. What makes a good king (or leader)? Is it possible to attain good leadership qualities by one's own effort? When and how is opposition to a bad leader justified? This little drama brings out some profound answers to these questions. Very thought provoking and heart wrenching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, March 12 2003
James T Humphrey II (Huntersville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
Quite possibly the best book ever written about kingdom authority and submission (with hints of obedience.) This novel looks at the lessons of authority and submission from the lives of three individuals...King Saul, King David, and wouldbe-king Absalom. If you ever get a book on the issues of authority and submission...this is the one to get.
Yes, only 90 some pages, and easily read within 2 hours. You will get to see what king Saul thought of David, and what David thought of Saul (part 1). Later, you will get to see the rise of Absalom, and the struggle of David on how to deal with the issue. Shall David be towards Absalom as he was in his youth in regard to Saul? Or shall he be towards Absalom as Saul was towards himself?
Buy it, read it, and for those of you in positions of leadership, try to get into the hands of other leaders at your church.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Day Classic, Dec 4 2002
Bill "ebertmovies" (Avon, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
This should be on the reading list of every Christian and should be required reading for every Christian Leader. The book reveals the snares of leadership and the way to life through forgiveness and trusting God to see our dreams fullfilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Book, Nov. 15 2002
PO (Terlton, Ok United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
This is a great book for anyone that has been hurt in church, or is hurting. As a new beleiver (15 months) this book helped to heal some of the hurt that I was feeling in the church. I never considered giving up on Jesus.....but I most certainly wanted to give up on my church. This book helped me to forgive and look inward at my self and not be so sure about what I was seeing and hearing. Very Powerfull.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Revelation, Aug. 23 2002
A. Grant (Bronx, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Tale Of Three Kings (Paperback)
For those wounded soliders at the hands of those whom they lovingly served, this book will provide you with a soothing balm of understanding. Edwards gives the reader three examples of personality types, most of which exist within our very selves, which explore the person within. You will ask yourself whether you are David, Absalom or Saul and if you can relate to one, in some ways you may relate to all. This gave me some clarity and healing in a personal situation as I read it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb01e6ad4)

A Tale Of Three Kings
A Tale Of Three Kings by Gene Edwards (Paperback - May 21 1992)
CDN$ 14.99 CDN$ 10.82