Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 30, 2015
Fast and easy delivery. Good price.Whimsical tale about power relationships.
on August 31, 2014
The author does a great job of not only identifying wrong leadership traits but also causes us to look at ourselves and assess our own hearts
on July 4, 2014
I thought it was a great book which touched on many issues of Christian living. I found truth in the way King Saul and David acted and reacted. I have had some King Sauls in my life and have experienced firsthand how it feels to have spears thrown at me. It was amazing to understand and learn from Davids reaction.
on February 27, 2014
I have literally bought over 50 copies of this book over the years to hand out to as many as would like. I personally read it at least once per year...this book is a TOP 10 IN YOUR LIFETIME
on February 8, 2013
Didn't like this book as it was not in line with my thoughts or inspiring enough for me to read thoroughly
on June 5, 2009
ESSENTIAL for anyone who is in spiritual leadership. The insights in the book will keep you reading it again and again to gain more wisdom. First with it, I read it 3 times in 3 days. Unbelievable.
on November 24, 2003
This book is written as though it were a play, in an easy and understandable manor. I really enjoyed the format, it is very imaginative and I found myself not wanting to put it down. The storytelling ability of Gene Edwards is phenomenal.
Though this tale, he takes the reader through the choices of three kings-Saul, David and Absalom. The choices they made concerning authority and brokenness are lessons with great value. I recommend this book because there is deep truth in it, not to replace scripture, but to show scripture in action.
on November 22, 2003
Some groups and churches use this book incorrectly. Please also read this author's "Letters to a Devastated Christian" in addition to this book. In that book, he even explains how this book is sometimes misused. The two books go very well together.
on September 9, 2003
This book is must reading for every church leader. It is a study of the use and misuse of authority. In it, Edwards examines the lives of King Saul who demanded allegiance and held onto power at all cost; the life of King David who would not pursue power or hold onto it by force even when faced with rebellion; and David?s son, Absalom, the man who would become king by leading a rebellion.
The book was written especially to address the problem of submission and authority in the modern church. An underlying theme of this magnificent tale is that one cannot know for certain who are anointed by God and who are not; whom God has blessed and whom He as not. True leaders often make mistakes and pretenders to the crown can often look Godly; therefore, we should be very careful about passing judgment on our leaders.
These three simple stories convey more meaning and impact than a scholarly tome on authority. Edwards follows the example set by Jesus by telling simple stories to convey deep theological truths. His insight that leadership, even Godly leadership, is inherently flawed because God works through flawed people is excellent. Also worthy of note is the insight not to rush to judgment when condemning authority. The message needs to be heard in our impatient culture. Edwards notes that men who thought they were doing the will of God murdered both Jesus and Stephen.
There are two significant weaknesses in this book.. First, the story is incomplete. It ends with David retreating from Jerusalem with Absalom holding power. Edwards fails to tell us that the story really ends with David doing battle with the rebels and Absaloms subsequent death. David did fight for his throne. Second, we live in an age where everyone believes they have the inherent right to question authority. Edwards does not address the need to teach on authority and submission as contrasted with demanding it. Boomers and Xers often have no idea of submission. Even many who were born before World War II do not understand the biblical concept of authority; like Korah who rebelled against Moses, they hold to a democratic model of authority. If we do not each our people the biblical concepts of authority and submission, how will they learn?
This book is a sobering reminder that all church polity is ultimately congregational. Leaders cannot demand the allegiance of their people. If my people choose not to follow my leadership by withdrawing their attendance, offerings and service, I will fail as a leader. I was especially helped by Edwards observation that all kings have their critics. Leaders are flawed vessels of God?s anointing. Rebels may promise the world, but they can only deliver it with the cooperation of the people. If the people grow tired, wither the rebels dream may fail, or a dictatorship must be established.
Again, this book is must reading for all church leaders. As a political science major, B.S. University of Oregon, 1973, I found this book intriguing.
on July 10, 2003
This book is a very insightful dramatization of the contrast in character quality found in three Old Testament kings: Saul, David and Absalom. If you are familiar with the biblical story of these three kings (in the books of 1st and 2nd Samuel) you'll be impressed with how true this character study rings and how applicable its lessons are for today. What makes a good king (or leader)? Is it possible to attain good leadership qualities by one's own effort? When and how is opposition to a bad leader justified? This little drama brings out some profound answers to these questions. Very thought provoking and heart wrenching.