5.0 out of 5 stars I still maintain what I said in my first review 2 yrs ago.
I first wrote my thoughts on Being Happy in Sept 98 on this website (Angelfire_26). I can't quite remember whether that was when I first bought Being Happy or not. But 2 yrs later it has been flipped through, highlighted, lent to friends, mailed back to me, read again and again and again.
This book has become an integral part of my belief system, not because it...
Published on July 19 2000 by Angela Poelstra

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't Make You Happy For Long
Published on Jan. 21 2003 by Mary

4.0 out of 5 stars very good book!..., April 27 2003
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
This book is great, it is about understanding yourself, being able to laugh at yourself, becoming more prosperous and being able to forgive yourself. It also discusses understanding natures laws so we can better deal with our own natures. What i like in the book aswell as the information is the comics in the books, they are terrifis, entertaining and very humorous. Now time for the run down on each chapter.
CHAPTER 1: This chapter deals self image, health and pain. Fact from chapter: The nicer you treat yourself the nicer others treat you.
CHAPTER 2: This chapter deals with depression, happiness and humor. Fact from chapter: Did you know that laughter is the best medicine.
CHAPTER 3: This chapter deals with thoughts, power of words and gratitude. Fact from chapter: Did you know that imagination is more important then knowledge.
CHAPTER 4: This chapter seems to deal with taking risks, setting goals and commitment. Fact from chapter: Did you know you only get back what you put out.
CHAPTER 5: This chapter deals with nature, learning from children and changes. Fact from chapter: Did you know the player in sport who usually gets hurt the most is the one who is moving the least.
CHAPTER 6: This chapter only has only one content called "here is where you begin."It deals with how what ever you are today may influence you to be the same in the next 10 to 20 years.
Overall this is a great book, though i recomend that you be no younger than 13 to get this because im 13 and there is some stuff in the book i can't relate to which was why i gave it 4 stars, but any way hope this helped. THANKYOU FOR READING-peace

5.0 out of 5 stars I still maintain what I said in my first review 2 yrs ago., July 19 2000
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
This book has become an integral part of my belief system, not because it preaches or drums thoughts into your mind... but because it is all COMMON SENSE and POSTIVE THINKING. You will say 'My Gosh that's RIGHT' throughout the whole book and you will make a concerted effort to remember everything you've read because it is all so clever! I would read and then forget all about the book until a situation came up where suddenly I would quote Andrew Matthews to a friend having a hard time.. or I would give myself this pep talk when I was nervous or stressed, courtesy of Andrew Matthews. Whether you think so or not at first - you do remember the concepts in this book and you draw upon them as you need to. I was always on the lookout for personal development books in an effort to 'improve' myself and become more aware of myself. I have not found one which compares.
In lower times of my life I go back to this book and after flipping though I say 'oh that's right', and I feel like I'm on track again. This is a very talented writer who isn't out to preach or dictate. He is out to help us all reach a level of happiness that is SO achievable once we realise the small things that get in our way. And it's only US that get in our way. I cannot say enough to let people know how fabulous all 3 of these books are. Recently I was thinking 'I wonder when Andrew Matthews will bring out another book? - I wish he would!' And then i thought 'What on earth could he cover now? What hasn't he already covered?'.. I'm satisifed! : )
I defy anyone to read this book and/or the 2 others and tell me they got nothing from the experience. It's impossible - and yes I'm that confident.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some magical content... confusing, sporadic layout..., Feb. 6 2000
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
In a nutshell: Being Happy! is a book that tells you how to be happy. The catch: the book's pages aren't coated with 'happy powder', it puts the onus on you, the reader to CHOOSE to be happy.
The bulk of the content in Andrew Matthew's book is dedicated to finding out why a hypothetical reader my not be happy and what he or she can do about it. Example: Perhaps you are annoyed that when money comes into your bank account, rather than accumulate it seems to disappear. The book advises anyone with this problem that it is purely mental; you must change your way of thinking - what if it was a banking error though! :)
The big issues are CHANGE and RISK and LEARNING FROM MISTAKES.... these are all of paramount importance when it comes to success... though a lot of people fail to have the decipline to go through with it... this is another issue tackled by the book.
The only problems I found with Being Happy! are the chapters don't appear to have much continuity and the messages, although simple have trouble sticking once you've put the book down.
Nevertheless, it's a great pick-me-up for those down-times and has some very useful advise on just about every aspect of happiness and self fulfilment.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for self improvement, Jan. 14 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
This would definitely be one of the best books I have ever read in this category. I bought this book on a day when I was feeling very low and sad. I sincerely believe in doing things that make you happy when you are sad, and one of those things for me is get into a bookstore and fill my library. This attitude is one of the advice that Andrew Mathews has suggested in his book. The chapter on setting goals and fulfilling it is fantastic. The cartoons depicting each chapter and topics are amusing and makes reading much more interesting. From my point of view and observation in this world I find that lot of people have a negative attitude even before they start working towards what they want in life, be it happiness, a goal, etc etc. This book is a must for such people. Andrew has pointed very well that we have to believe that we can do it and then set about doing anything in life. Think positive and believe you can do it even before you start anything. This book helped me in changing my attitude towards life, my marriage (in which i am very happy), and most important my belief in myself. Today I am working towards reducing my weight by swimming everyday. Thanks to Andrew Mathews for raising my spirit of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for self improvement, July 20 1999
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew Matthews is the Deepak Chopra for everyday people!!, Oct. 24 1997
A. Hadhazy (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
Andrew Matthews has written a virtuoso text outlining the basic principles of happiness... and how these principles apply to everyday life for everyone. They will make a happy person even more fulfilled. Mr. Matthews seems to have read it all and deciphered the principles he has learned into language that is easy to digest,incorporate, and assimilate. "Being Happy" is "The Seven Laws of Spiritual Success" for laypeople or novices in the world of trancendental thinking. Unlike Deepak Chopra, the guru of mind-body healing and personal fulfillment, Mr. Andrews approaches the idea of happiness without heady insights such as Indian mysticism, new age spirituality, quantum physics and energy, or meditation. Instead he spells it out in simple terms that anyone can understand... his readers never have to comprehend how atoms, the human body, love, and our desires are connected and interrelated in order to become happy. Both Mr. Matthews and Dr. Chopra express the exact same principles and steps in order to become happy and fulfilled in life. However, in "Being Happy", Andrew Matthews makes the process an accessible everyday event, and adds humor and great illustrations as examples to help along the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Won't Make You Happy For Long, Jan. 21 2003
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
This book is funny at times, easy to read, and straight to the point. I enjoyed reading the book, it certainly made me smile at times. However, I felt that once I had finished the book, it had left me in the air, still waiting for an answer. While it gives some good suggestions, you quickly forget them once you read past it because it was expressed so vaguely. There were no real life examples, nothing to plant the idea concretely into your head.
All in all, if I could go back in time, I would not have bought this book. However, I give it 3 stars because it did keep me entertained for a while. But it's more of a book to borrow from someone and give back once you're done, than a book you actually want to buy and keep.
I would suggest instead of this book "How to stop worrying and start living" by Dale Carnegie. Although it isn't based on how to be happy, if you follow this book, it will definitely influence your mood and your happiness.

1.0 out of 5 stars Being Happy, Feb. 1 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
An interesting book which chases its self in circles with no out come ~ written so long ago that it is in desperate need of an update. Written via a man who is clearly living in Fairy land or place that truely does not exist. The actual Title to this book should be How to be treated like a" Door Mat"
A fabulous out look on life if indeed the whole world truely was taking EXTC pills and there was no come down. The true reason for the author of this book being blissfully happy is due to the book selling way over 1million copies due to its very catchy title.
You can also find his second book about how to MAKE FRIENDS and his im sure next soon to be followed book titled "achieving the thing that you most want to achieve the most" Just via Buying this book , whilst I laugh all the way to the bank". I truely wish happiness for all that are seeking it, but the answers you seek will not be found in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars average self-help guide, March 12 2000
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
Although I am an American, I found this book to be a simplistic and entertaining guide for the American masses seeking self help advice from eye catching and easy to read books/manuals. But I say, "more power to 'em," for the individuals that have found solace and information from this guide that has led to an improvement in their lives! I have two reservations pertaining to the content of the guide. The first is the absence of scientific data to support the author's theories. Second is the reoccurring theme that positive thoughts can become your reality. Social and government structures throughout the world can make this difficult or impossible for the most positive mind and productive body to succeed. In addition, believing in something enough to make it reality for you does not always lead to a favorable outcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Best buy for Happiness, Feb. 14 2000
Vinutha S. (Bangalore, India) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Being Happy (Paperback)
The first time i read it was some 9 years back. It had a tremondous impact on my life as in total. Things around me started to change after reading this book. I was more confident, more compatible with others & yes, became more compassionate too.At that time i didn't own this book,suddenly i had this urge to own the book and tried all over India but couldn't find one. Then some 4 years later my brother when he had been to the US bought it for me. Even now i often go through the contents after having read it umpteen times. Basically the contents are the same things which we have known all our lives, but in our busy schedule seem to have forgotten 'em. This book is a wonderful rejuvinator of THE evasive knowledge within us. A MUST read for all those who have a confidence deficiency.

Being Happy
Being Happy by Andrew Matthews (Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24