5.0 out of 5 stars literate horror
Not living in the US and having access to public libraries, I have been unfortunately unaware of Tom Piccirilli until I ordered Hexes on a whim. And was very pleasantly surprised. Immediately, his writing reminded me of Ramsey Campbell, and I turned to the back to see if the author was American or British. I associated the writing with Campbell for a very specific...
Published on Nov. 3 1999 by Christine Menendez

2.0 out of 5 stars Better the Devil...............
Firstly, I like many other reviewers of this book, picked it up as I was convinced by the glowing reviews by critics and the public alike. Also, as understood from readers comments, many like myself are fans of the horror genre and thought it sounded like a fresh angle on an old familiar formula. Secondly let me explain why the King's and Rice's of this world are...
Published on Feb. 10 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just read on..., Dec 7 1998
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
As the (former, for reasons too sad to mention) Italian editor of Tom Piccirilli, I'm familiar with most of his efforts: horror novels, hard boiled capers, "cozy" whodunits, whatever. To my way of thinking, the guy is a true "writer" in the real sense of the word. Call me partial, call me biased, call me stoopid, I couldn't care less <<wink>>. Well, to cut a long story short, lemme say HEXES is one of Tom's best. Oh yeah, disgusting and disturbing, just like Poppy Brite stated, but! I'd add eerie and definitely creepy, with more than a tinge of sadness and good ole nostalgia for the good measure. A marriage made in neither heaven nor hell between -say- Ray Bradbury and the nastiest Thomas Harris, HEXES is not simply a good horror novel. It is a very good *novel*, period. And where's horror, anyway, if not in the mind of the writer, and the writer only?

2.0 out of 5 stars Good not godlike, June 12 1999
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
I would actually say two and half just to put it dead center of the scale. Not as good as, say, Halloween Man but certainly worth a weekend trip. That said I must say that some of the passages struck me as alittle distant if not clumsy. Sort of like Jay Bonasinga. However I did find that the fusions between interior thoughts and exterior action to be solid and sleek. Personally the high point of the book is the wild party from hell that caps the whole story for me. One final thing - How come Crowley is like the modern horror McGuffin? I read somewhere that this book was excellently researched but name-dropping doesn't equal research. This is like the third book in a row I read with Crowley references and this has the weakest connection to actual fact. The guy was a "kook" not Satan incarnate! Don't believe the hype.

2.0 out of 5 stars Truly a two and half, not worth avoiding not worth buying, Jan. 10 2000
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
The "research" on the occult issues in this book seemed more like regurgitated blurbs from encyclopedias than actual understanding of the ideas or historical figures involved. The characters were more stereotypes than rounded people, and the book dragged like a bum leg. There was nothing particularly shocking, intriguing, or thought provoking about this book. The part with the demons was really good, but it was over quickly, and it was back to the benign story that meandered forward to an even less exciting ending. This might be good for a young reader, but if you are looking for something well written and exciting, skip it. I couldn't even recommend this for a good weekend read. If you want a good horror book, try S. A. Swiniarski's "The Flesh, the Blood, and the Fire." Now, THAT is a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A creepy winner, March 12 2001
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
I've just finished both of Piccirilli's most recent horror efforts, The Deceased and Hexes. Piccirilli's brand of horror is a heady brew of style, the occult, and the surreal. He offers up levels of hell for the reader to traverse: the hell of the mind, of the soul, and the fiery place itself. He writes with a real passion, the heartache coming through as his characters battle their own weaknesses as well as the evil that's been loosed. This again shows why Tom Piccirilli is one of the best in the business: he doesn't simply tell a story of murder and mayhem and monsters chewing on livers. He writes of people forced to face the demons in themselves first before battling anything else. A creepy winner here, folks, full of some of the best atmospheric horror you've ever read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected., Aug. 12 1999
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
After all the hype about how good this book is supposed to be I was very disappointed. I have to agree with a few other reviewers that also gave this low marks. The character development was non-existant, it failed to draw me in or make me care about what happened, and it's hard to figure out what is happening until the middle of the book. Does anyone out there really know people with names like "Jello Joe" and "Jelly Jane"? Give me a break! There were some scenes that I thought were well written, but overall not an enjoyable read. I forced myself through the first two-thirds, even though I wanted to quit after the first third, only because of the other reviews, but I couldn't take it any longer and gave up. On to something more worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly powerful occult horror, Sept. 21 2003
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
A friend of mine recommended this book to me and I'm glad she did. HEXES is one of my new all-time favorite books. This is a top-notch horror novel that will claw its way under your skin. There are some wonderfully chilling scenes in here, but there's also a light, playful air about much of the story as well. There's a real sense of poetry here as certain scenes just sing off the page. There are many funny characters stuck in strange situations, and there's one of the most memorable dogs in horror fiction this side of Dean Koontz's Einstein from Watchers. An odd mixture of thrills, chills, and tongue in cheek satire. I can't wait to also read A Lower Deep, The Night Class, and A Choir of Ill Children, which has one of the most amazing titles I've ever seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A stylistic, unique inspection of evil, Dec 27 2000
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
Just a brief glance at all the previous reviews wills how you that Piccirilli's HEXES is a novel you'll either love or hate. For my tastes, I found it a winner. The author goes to extremes to make sure the story line is fresh and freaky. While his poetic language and frequent flashbacks might annoy readers more used to Koontz and King, for those looking for writing willing to break the envelope you'll find the language dazzling and the plot almost surreal at times. There's a pervasive sense of dread throughout the novel even while the author offers a good deal of humorour underpinnings. This is just a weird fusion of elements that you'll either find innovative or difficult. I say give HEXES a shot and you'll find it a rewarding piece of occult literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Horror Novel in a loooong time!, Aug. 19 2000
Paul Legerski (Corona, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
HEXES returns Tom Piccirilli to the top ranks of horror writers. HEXES takes place in Summerfell, under Summerfell and around Summerfell's asylum, Panecraft. Matthew Galen's father created and ran Panecraft...he killed himself and maybe his wife. Matthew leaves, but after 5 years, returns to Summerfell to right some wrongs that happened during his high school years. In between, Piccirilli dreams up some of the most vile, hateful and vivid scenes of horror I've ever read. Think his DARK FATHER was intense? Check out HEXES! Characters that are all too-real, scenarios that are out of whack but realistically rendered and a climax to end all climaxes.. Researched in occultism well, HEXES succeeds on all levels. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hexes is a surrealistic thrill ride., July 18 1999
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
Tom Piccirilli has gone back to the style of his earlier short works, leaving behind the mystery voice, successfully entertaining the reader with a horror tale that is absolutly original, and in some parts, terrifying, gross, and surreal. He adeptly takes all those components that could be used when constructing the horror novel, and weaves then into a quilt of images that tie together a story very worth reading about. It's not for the squemish, and not for the non-literary Koontz fan. This is what good writing is all about, and those whom shun Hexes have alot to learn when it comes to a well-written piece of fiction. Buy it, enjoy it, and share it with your friends. Tom is the next big thing. Remember that.

1.0 out of 5 stars You guys are kidding, right?(Debbie is dead), Dec 6 2000
Monique (CHICAGO, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexes (Mass Market Paperback)
I had to read the other reviews for this book. Scary? (Debbie is dead).This was so boring I actually fell asleep a few times reading it. (Debbie is dead). Scattered through the book (Debbie is dead). I believe we got it the first time we read Debbie is dead. Tom Piccirilli's overuse of metaphors had me thinking he should write poetry instead of horror. He finally got around to that poem half way through the book. The way Mr. Piccirilli jumps back and forth in time, through the character's flashbacks, and the nightmare scenes, can make your head spin. Scary to me is the Exorcist, even the sequel to the Exorcist, I Am Legion. The only way I'd recommend this book is for insomnia. By the way, Debbie is dead!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Hexes
Hexes by Tom Piccirilli (Mass Market Paperback - 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01