5.0 out of 5 stars The most gut-wrenching book ever!
When i started with the first page, I was automatically hooked on the entire book. Simon Clark really knows how to tell stories of the end of the world in a completely different way. If you love horror, then you will love this book.
Published on Nov. 12 2003 by animus_99

2.0 out of 5 stars You're kidding me, right?
Alright, so after immersing myself quite thoroughly in the post-apoc world again (I seem to do this on occasion), I thought I'd try out something similar but a little different with "Blood Crazy".

It's one of those books that you keep reading to see if it gets better as you go along, and find yourself committed juuuuuust enough to finish it.

It's a...
Published on May 29 2012 by J.R.

2.0 out of 5 stars You're kidding me, right?, May 29 2012
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)

It's a catchy enough idea when you read the synopsis, however the explanation of how the main plot comes about (why all the adults begin killing their children) is so poor, it's ridiculous. I actually said out loud during the resolution: "SERIOUSLY??" I got the distinct impression that the author had NO idea how to explain this, and just came up with something arbitrary. I don't buy it, you won't buy it, and the characters don't even buy it.

There are patches of decent writing in this, so you do find yourself giving a crap about the supporting characters, for instance, but you can't shake your disappointment with the main character until the very end when he remotely redeems himself. (Maybe this is the parent in me responding to a very capable teenager who chooses NOT to live to his potential!)

There's a fair bit of sex, partying, gratuitous violence, etc... and in many places, it's rather akin to Lord of the Flies as it looks at the dynamics of a community in which there are no adults present. Ultimately, that would be the merit of this book, if there is something good to be drawn from it, or a reason to be reading it: how these kids and young adults survive without adults. Don't get your hopes up though; even this is not particularly exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Original Story, July 15 2004
Dennis Duncan (Greenfield, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
I got to admit I was drawn in by the premise of Blood Crazy. Adults go crazy one day and start killing children. It is one of the most original stories I have read.
The charaters are really developed, and the story moves at a good pace. You wont find yourself getting bored with this book. The ending was really satisfying, and it does leave room open for a sequel.
I recommend this book for anyone into Scifi, Horror, or anyone interested in a completly oringinal story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a YA novel, as marketed., Jan. 21 2004
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
Simon Clark, Blood Crazy (Leisure, 1995)
How this book gets characterized as a young adult novel is completely beyond me. Hey, folks: just because a novel's protagonist is under twenty-one years of age does not make a novel aimed at the young adult market.
Nick Aten ("rhymes with Satan") goes to bed one night convinced that all is right with the world. He wakes up the next morning and finds out how terribly wrong he is; something has caused all of the world's adults to go crazy and start killing their children. Those who have no children just go after everyone under a certain age (undetermined at the beginning of the book). Needless to say, the children are not altogether happy with this. Nick escapes and heads out of town, banding together with various other survivors against millions of people whose whole goal is their destruction.
In other words, it's your basic post-apocalyptic novel. And from that perspective, it's a good enough read. It's hard to review this objectively, since I had it marketed to me as a young adult novel; it reads like an adult novel, and so I'm concerned my ideas about it are going to cross one line or the other, since the two are often entirely different animals. Thankfully, it's a decent book as both, though a little on the adult side for being a YA read.
Simon Clark has a good sense of the dramatic, and the book is paced and plotted well. Granted, postapocalyptic lit is fast becoming its own subgenre, and it's not too hard to plot these days (a reading of The Stand, a reading of Swan Song, and a screening of The Omega Man, and you're pretty much set; elements of all three show up here, of course). His characters are for the most part solid and well-built, with a few cardboard-esque exceptions. The main reason, I'm guessing, this was thought to be a YA novel is the Nick Aten's narrative voice, which is naïve; too much so at times. (One wonders why that's still considered a YA trait, given the popularity of the romance genre.)
Readable, fast-paced, and worthwhile for horror fans. ***

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but nothing new, Jan. 3 2004
William M Miller (Bronxville, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first book I read from Simon Clark (I've read 4 since then). I found this to be the weakest of his books. Too much wandering and too many coincidences to be believable for my taste. Nonetheless, it is well written. For new Clark fans, I would recommend trying "Darkness Demands" first - a darker and more mature novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Children's Book, Nov. 13 2003
ARADES (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
This is probably the worst attempt at writing horror I have ever seen. Yea sure it's scary, if the scariest book you've ever read is "Where the Wild Things Are" as a child. However if you are above the age of 8, I would strongly suggest reading something actually worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most gut-wrenching book ever!, Nov. 12 2003
"animus_99" (Great Falls, MT USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished in Eight Hours, Oct. 14 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
For those that need a fast paced type of read , this is the one. I read a little of everything, but lately, I felt a bit bored with some other types of work. I read ten pages, and borrowed it from my brother. Eight hours later I was finished. Very fast paced and easy to follow. A strong storyline, with survival of the fittest as the principal element. I am purchasing this book myself and others written by Mr. Clark because of what I just read. Don't take my word for it, if good vs. evil is your thing, try it. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars All emotions are affected, Sept. 30 2003
b b (Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
This Simon Clark novel dosn't just scare you in places, it also makes you cry and laugh. He is much more than just a horror novelist. Look out Stephen King!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Sept. 11 2003
Kevin L "partluck" (Edison, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book while recovering from a bout of pneumonia. In a weird horror fan way- it helped cheer me up. It cheered me up because I thought to myself "here is a not only a great horror novel, but a fantasy I think many minds of the macabre have thought about". I could remember waking up to silence and wondering if I looked out the window the world would somehow have changed or gone mad. Simon Clark must have wondered the same thing as well.
Although I read this book over a year ago, almost two, it is still fresh in my book storage area of the brain, that all of us avid readers have. We store the good stuff and forget the candy and trash as soon as it's last page is turned.
Just a note, i loved the movie 28 days Later, but while I watched it , i kept thinking the screenwriter must have read this book, for parts of it kept coming to my mind during the film. In any case, this book is a classic. Buy it, read it, enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Horror Novel. Very scary., Sept. 8 2003
M. Nation (FWB, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Crazy (Mass Market Paperback)
This is by far one of the best horror novels I've ever read. Maybe the best. Simon Clark knows how to write a scary and creepy book!! The characters and setting are so vivid you feel like you're there. The plot takes a new spin from most horror novels and Clark does an excellent jobs. Well paced and horrifying throughout. The first pages grab you so be ready.

Blood Crazy
Blood Crazy by Simon Clark (Mass Market Paperback - 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01