5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT CHRISTIAN HELP FOR MARRIAGES IN CRISIS!
Thank you Dr. Dobson for writing the perfect book for marriages in crisis! While my husband wasn't having an affair with another woman, he WAS having an affair with drugs and irresponsibility. Your book helped me kick him out and he was forced to hit bottom. I am proud to say that he quickly learned what he was going to lose and has changed his life for the better...
Published on Oct. 31 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best book
For me personally I did not love the content of this book. Once recieved it was in good shape, but after reading a little into it I discarded the book.
Published 16 months ago by Miss Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best book, Aug. 18 2013
This review is from: Love Must Be Tough (Hardcover)

4.0 out of 5 stars great advice if you can get past the religious stuff, May 2 2004
Michael Vanier (Pasadena, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because the subject matter intrigued me. Even though I knew going in that the book was written from a fundamentalist Christian perspective (which did not appeal to me, being an atheist), I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm glad I did. Once you strip away all the religious mumbo-jumbo, what remains is very solid advice that is useful for everyone, single or married, in a stable or rocky relationship, Christian or not. Basically, what Dobson is saying is that relationships are founded on respect, and when that respect starts to erode, the relationship starts to disintegrate. If this disintegration hasn't progressed too far, the relationship can often be saved if the disrespected party starts standing up for his or her rights. I came to the very same conclusions myself after several bad experiences -- it's amazing how quickly someone's respect for you will skyrocket once you stop letting them abuse you. This should be common knowledge for everyone, but it isn't, and thus Dobson's book fills a valuable niche. It's too bad that there isn't a similar book without the heavy religious sermonizing; I think that a lot of people who could benefit from reading this book will be so turned off by this that they won't give it a chance. My suggestion: hold your nose and keep reading -- there's lots of good advice in here if you persevere.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK HELPED ME, July 13 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Must Be Tough (Hardcover)
I bought this book to figure out a way to straighten out a relationship with a very difficult person that I knew. Dr Dobson gives good advice on maintaining your self-respect through difficult times.
Being a good Christian doesn't mean becoming a doormat for manipulative people.
Although many examples in the book deal with adulterous spouses (not what I was dealing with), the principles can be applied to any aspect of our life and relationships.
This book is pure Gold.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book confused me, Jan. 17 2003
"laheh" (laheh, laheh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Must Be Tough (Hardcover)
I think that this book and philosophy would work for some people, but not for me. I especially did not like what he said at the end of the book. He encouraged people to take back their cheating spouses, even if they can't trust them again. And forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't taking back someone who is mistreating you, even if that person changes, showing that you don't have self-respect?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love Must Be Tough
Love Must Be Tough by Dr. James Dobson (Hardcover - June 24 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01