5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Graham as always has the right thoughts
Billy Graham has the right thoughts again with his 30th book. He shares memories of his past and shares his experiences of growing older and talks about his losses including his wife Ruth's death and how he misses her every day. Also has great humour and stories. A must read for older and younger people has well - you don't have to be over 65 to read this book.
Published on Oct. 29 2011 by Jim Willis

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lighter Read than Expected
Published 3 months ago by Darlene Padlesky

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Graham as always has the right thoughts, Oct. 29 2011
Jim Willis (Barrie, ON Canada) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lighter Read than Expected, May 17 2014
While I did enjoy reading the book I didn't feel that I got any great revelations from it which I think I was hoping to achieve. Only being middle aged I read the book to see if I was on track for finishing the race with a sense of pleasure and accomplishment. I found the book mostly to be about Billy and his late wife and although I did find that touching I was expecting more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Truth-filled!, Feb. 8 2013
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
This book makes a lovely and meaningful gift for elderly people, especially those who
seek the peace of God as they contemplate the final issues of living and dying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you are nearing retirement, Dec 5 2011
Ron Abarbanel "MJA/RJA" (Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
This book is a kind of guide book to retirement - how to think about how you can continue to contribute, how to react with grace and humour to the aches and pains and loss of strength and stamina. It also had some tender and funny stories about Ruth and he sweetly talked about missing her every day. I had expected it to be a book about "lessons learned over a lifetime". It isn't. Those that would enjoy it most are people are retired or close to retirement.

Book has been provided courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available now at your favourite bookseller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearing Home - Life, Faith, and Finishing Well, Nov. 27 2011
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
Look back into the history of Christianity, you'll find one of the heroes of the Christian faith still living today. He once sought to be a professional baseball player, to hit a home-run and run the bases, yet God had different plans for him. Nearing Home is a memoir and a monument of Billy Graham and his journey as he prepares for eternity. No man would have thought that his desire to fill stadiums would come true in an entirely different way, attracting thousands to the foot of the Cross. The great evangelist has lived to see his son Franklin Graham take the reins of his ministry, and he takes the time to write his book on finishing well, planning for retirement, and living a life of wisdom by preparing for our final days on earth.

Personally I really enjoyed reading the book, there were some parts that don't directly apply to me because of my age, however I still took them into consideration for future planning. If it wasn't Billy Graham there's a good chance I wouldn't have wanted the book. The reason I've flipped through the pages and continued to read was because I was granted the privilege to view the life memories of one of my personal heroes and inspirations. He details in his book some memories of Ruth Graham, his wife who is now with the Lord, and reading such memories provides the reader with the vision of what this great man of faith has gone through, what he is feeling, and what he awaits. Though it is not a book I would readily recommend, it is a book suitable for older audiences and those interested in the life of evangelist Billy Graham.

I've received this complimentary book from Thomas Nelson Publishing House through the Book Sneeze program in exchange for a review. A positive review was not required and the views expressed in my review are strictly my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Things to think about before I'm old, Dec 31 2011
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
The seminal quote to describe Billy Graham's latest book is found on page 78.

"At my age, I can sympathize with most seniors. The good old days call me back at times, especially when I am with friends who have shared so much. While I choose not to dwell on the past or relive my youth, there are times I long to hike up into the hills with my children or stand in the pulpit to deliver a Gospel message. But the walker, wheelchair and cane near my bed remind me that chapter in life is past. So I thank God for the memories that have enriched my life but look forward to new opportunities, to experiences that can add some dimension to the present. Our attitudes play a major role in the closing scene of life's stage."

Born in 1918, Billy Graham has been an icon of the gospel message for generations. While other evangelists and Christian leaders fall by the wayside, Billy maintains a humility and simple faith that reminds us that the message is true. He is a loving reference point for evangelical leadership and Christian service.

His latest and possibly last book on life, faith and finishing well brings no surprises. The same passion to tell people about Jesus trickles into every chapter. While his last stadium preaching event was in 2005, his message lives on through his writing.

This is valuable material for us. It is a witness to a man's persevering faith, sustainability through ageism and grief and a marker for all of us on the road to old age, our coming death and eternal life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearing Home: Life, Faith and finishing Well, Dec 30 2011
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
Nearing Home, is a guide on how to handle growing old as a Christian, asking the tough questions like, "what is the purpose for these years, and how can we align our lives with it?"It is practical guide that prepares both young and old for the future. How to have joy and strength for the finish line, all the while, taking the steps necessary to finish this life well.

This book won't disappoint. The practical side covers, retirement, will and estate planning, how to handle our grief when our loved ones die, and then it moves into the spiritual side and covers such topics as how to leave roots and a lasting legacy for your children and grand children.

There is great hope and an underlying peacefulness about this book. You will find it is the most refreshing book on death and dying one could possible hope to read. If you want to do things differently for your kids and grand kids in your old age, it is not to late to consider this book as a manual you can go to again and again to lead you home.

Billy Graham's book is one of his most concise, honest, hope filled books, he has written to date and if anyone has the authority to tell us how to grow old with grace and hope, I think 93 year old Billy Graham is that person. This book is truly a gift for anyone still this side of heaven.

I received this book free of charge from BookSneeze and the opinions expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Inspirational Book, Dec 15 2011
Review of a Truly Inspirational Book:
"Nearing Home - Life , Faith and Finishing Well"
By Billy Graham
I have always admired this man of God, Billy Graham. I recall , when as a young child , my parents would have the family sit around the television to hear one of his life changing crusades. The music , the sermon, wisely preached by this Godly man touched me as no other has ever been able to. His alter call, at the end of the service drew many closer to the Lord.

This book is Billy Graham's attempt to help us to prepare for our later years in life and he does a magnificent job of leading us through the steps of growing older , continuing to walk along with the Lord. His use of scripture to explain his points, are clear examples of a man who has studied the Bible , until he has become one with it. It is part of him.

Billy fully explains some difficult events that will occur for all of us some day, not all happy ones, however, he uses Bible passages to keep us encouraged and true to the faith. I loved his use of the Golden Years, not truly being so golden!! Health issues, losing loved ones, even retiring from a much loved job are described with accuracy. He does not try to influence your thinking that all will go smoothly, BUT Billy does explain how to best deal with these challenges . What a gifted man he is. At his age, he is still caring about others and using his life experiences to help us.

This book was an enjoyment to read, as well as being useful. The many scriptures reflect Billy's strong beliefs in the afterlife and give us all hope . We may lose loved ones, but we will see them again. Our bodies will become whole and healthy.

A wonderful, encouragement to all of us!! Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearing Home A Home Run, Dec 12 2011
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
Several years ago I visited Church of the Saviour in Washington, DC. While there I talked with Gordon Cosby, then 89, who founded the church in the late 1940's and was still preaching at the time. Spending time with him I was struck with his clarity, profound wisdom and the deep and simple trust in Jesus to care for his church. I wanted to be like him when I was 89. And since then I've wanted to live life as well as he does.

Reading Billy Graham's book, Nearing Home, gave me the same thrill and excitement. With the pages I felt I was in the presence of a spiritual giant who walks in humility and grace. He talks candidly and frankly about decline, loss and death. He doesn't try to sugarcoat retirement or the "golden years", losing one's spouse, the loss of health and mobility, or the fact that, at ninety-three, he just doesn't have much energy. Despite all this, he keeps calling people back to clarity and unwavering commitment to Christ, for this life and for the next.

He encourages those nearing death to finish well, to support the young, to grow deeper with God and to live joyfully. He even has a sense of humour about it all: "Do we listen for God's voice in our everyday activities? Sometimes he speaks, but we don't hear. We can't blame it on the batteries going dead in our hearing aids."

But just as importantly, he encourages the young (and that term is relative!). As a 45 year old I've had moments where I don't feel the same boisterousness as I once did. Graham challenged me, towards thankfulness, towards making the days I have count, towards investing in children and youth, towards getting my will done, towards making the most of my parents, towards growing as a follower of Christ.

Nearing Home will certainly strengthen those who are in the decline of their life. However it just as certainly encourages and challenges the hipsters in our midst to live life richly, for God and others.

Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review of Nearing Home, Nov. 23 2011
This review is from: Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well (Hardcover)
The book arrived in excellent shape and I began almost immediately to read it to my 100 year old mother. Billy writes with clarity and enthusiasm and gives examples that are true to his age and the culture through which he and my mother passed. He provides thoughts for effective living and encourages his readers to be true to their creater as their source of life, faith and wellness.

Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well
Nearing Home: Life, Faith, and Finishing Well by Billy Graham (Hardcover - Oct. 18 2011)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87