4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents...
A Surprisingly Honest Adventure!

I admit, I was skeptical when I first heard about this book. I was expecting some cheesy imagining of what heaven could look like. But as I began to read this book, I saw a story unfolding before my eyes.

Published on July 6 2012 by Adam

1.0 out of 5 stars Hummm I don't know??
This story is not bad. I can't even imagine where they found enough interesting stuff for a movie. Kind of drags on a bit. Not the best book I've ever read, but in all fairness not the worst. It is not a "you have to read this" book
Published 6 months ago by Copine

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., July 6 2012
Adam (Saskatoon, SK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
A Surprisingly Honest Adventure!

This is not some biblical study on what heaven is like. This is also not some overactive imaginary description of it either. It is the story of a family who walked through the valley of the shadow of death and how they emerged from the other side.

The story is about Colton, the son of the main author (a pastor) who had a near death experience where he found himself in the heavenly courts and witness to some amazing details. But the story is told from the perspective of the Father and the horrors of watching your son almost die. And then as life progresses, the boy gives glimpses of the glory he witnessed by revealing very specific details of information concerning their family that he literally has no other way of knowing... Examples include how Colton told about his Grandfather, his second older sister (who was miscarried), and a whole bunch of details about heaven that a child his age would not have any knowledge of even with the background of church, Sunday School, and being a pastor's kid.

As I said, I was skeptical from the beginning, but I really appreciate how this book was written. I think that anyone can find encouragement within its pages and I heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a believer out of anyone!, Nov. 10 2012
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
This is such a beautiful book ! So many people of have questions about heaven, well all you have to do is read this book and all your questions will be satisfied!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is for Real- An Honest Review, Nov. 23 2010
atanali "-Atanali-" (Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
This review may be a little...different. It has taken me a while, because after reading this book, I sat back and thought about it. What do I say, and more importantly, what do I believe?

Summary: This book is intended as a true account of a boy who visited heaven, as told by his father and a co-writer, Lynn Vincent.

Writing and Theme: The book is largely written as an account of Colton Burpo, who claims his spirit left his body and went to heaven while he was in a serious operation at the hospital. Over time, he tells of his experiences in heaven with Jesus and other people from history.
I would rather that the father had been the only author, as since this is to be a true account, it is a crucial point to this book's integrity. As there is a co-author, it's hard to tell if she "spiced things up". The work itself is fairly well written, and keeps your attention.

Theological and Topical Points: This is where it gets hard. First, I'll look at it from the skeptical point of view.
Does God really let people see heaven? To be honest, I don't know. In the Bible there are accounts of people going to heaven without physically dying, but they never returned.
In this age and nation, we need to consider other elements. Please don't take offense, but these questions unfortunately have to be asked. Is the boy a pathological liar? Is the father a pathological liar? Is he using his son to be published? Is he using his son to gain fame? Did he omit details and/or explanations for this said miracle, making it to appear in favor of a miracle and in turn, Christianity? How much profit will this book bring the Burpos and their ministry?
I know, it sounds awful, but with all the stories and scams that fly around nowadays, these questions must be asked.
Now from a different point of view, this book is quite inspirational. It provides encouragement and comfort for us, and in that respect, I would recommend reading it. I enjoyed the whole book, and only after did I start to ask questions. But whether this book is true or not, it is a beautiful story. I am not telling you to take it as truth, but maybe view it as a possible miracle. To be sure, it should encourage your faith, and make you search deeper as to how strong your faith is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hummm I don't know??, June 25 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much..., June 15 2014
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
Not for me, way to religious.
Found it just too silly, not believable. Waste of my time and money.
I am sure the parents took great relief in their sons return to life, but come on....kids just don't talk like that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boy's Fantasy, June 20 2011
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
This is a book retelling a little boy's story of what he told his family about an encounter during an operation. The book written by his father and a co-author details this story. Could this be a little boy's Narnia? Narnia is promoted as fiction, a fantasy land of C.S. Lewis. Though a mysterious interesting world it is fantasy. Think James Frey and how he promoted his book as a memoir. Later admitting to Oprah once Frey was exposed that the story was embellished, as the book wouldn't sell if labelled fiction. Is this a visit to a heavenly realm or just a fantasy. Could an operation be a medicated scary situation causing hallucinations and dreams for a young boy? The authors tell the story of a boy visiting heaven. Could the promotion of a heavenly visit hone in on peoples curiousity of a heavenly experience thus driving sales of this book to the best seller list. The characters of this heaven remind one of the sunday school picture book with angels' having wings and heavenly beings wearing sashes. Possible the boy had seen one to many movies and been exposed to cartoon versions of the childrens bible found in many homes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at all convincing, April 2 2014
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
I've read other books on the near-death experience where the reality of heaven, interaction with angelic beings, and awareness of God was spoken of. They were much more believable. I wish I could believe this story, but there seemed to be such a strong Christian agenda attached to it that at the turn of every page, I just could not believe what was being conveyed - and I'm open-minded person. Everything described was apparently consistent with 'what the Bible says', so I felt while reading it that someone just pulled information out of the Bible to write a popular story. Perhaps it all did happen, and due to the boy growing up in a Christian family, that was his filter for all of the experience. But I don't believe for one second that those who belong to other religions rather than Christian are barred from heaven - which is what is obviously implied by the boy saying that he learned in heaven that those who "haven't accepted Jesus into their hearts" don't get to go there.

If you want a good book on this subject, try "To Heaven and Back" by Dr. Mary C. Neil (also a Christian but providing a far more believable account) or "Proof of Heaven" written by the neurosurgeon Dr. Eben Alexander.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book for the Follower of Christian Faith, June 2 2014
Cherylann Thomas "Author, speaker, clinical h... (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
I was so disappointed in this book. I have read numerous NDE written by credible people and am convinced that we are all eternal and, in fact, we are spiritual beings having an earthly experience...this life is but a speck on our journey's.

However, this book was written by a Christian Pastor, committed to the bible...and had to continuously refer to bible verses to accept what his son was telling him. This dad asked the child leading questions about the experience which was a real disservice if there is a story to be told.

The most appalling part of the book, which is continuous throughout the book, that if you do not ask Jesus into your heart, well, sorry, the kid is frightened for you because you are going to burn in hell.

BS! Stop that kind of madness thinking please!

If you are a Christian, and believe the first and only bible verse you really need to get into heaven (John 3:16...for God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosever believes in him will not perish, but have everlasting life). Yes, I know the verse, it was the first one drilled into my head as a small child. If this is the faith you follow then you will love the book.

All of the rest of the world is going to hell. Make sure you are the chosen one if you want to enjoy the child's experience as interpreted by Christian dad.

I prefer to read books without discrimination of one soul over another. I prefer to read true stories of NDE by the person who experienced it themselves. I thought by buying this book I would get a good insight into the child's experience. No. I got a lot about dad and his bible and very little that I could hang my hat on.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Narnia -Like Moment, Jan. 8 2012
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
Christians are known as followers or disciples of Christ, the only begotten Son of God and very God himself. To take that belief system to the next level so that it becomes a dynamic and earth-changing set of heart-felt convictions requires an act of faith and sometimes a divine miracle or two to seal the deal. Pastor Burpo, in 'Heaven is for Real' offers us his personal proof that God, Jesus, and the heavenly angels really exist as reported in the Bible. His story is broken into two parts: one entails an incredible chain of events that defines a year in the life of the Burpo family as they contended with life-threatening adversities involving Todd and his son; the other equally incredible aftermath when young Coulton started to share his experiences of his illness. From the evidence, it appears that the young lad was caught up in an out-of-body translation that took him up to heaven for a short spell. There he was shown some unbelievably marvellous sights that confirm that God has prepared a wonderfully happy place for His children. While I equate this book with 'The Shack' in terms of its emotional impact and possible insights into the spiritual or supernatural realm, I certainly do not endorse it as as incontrovertible truth that God exists. Like the Burpos of Colorado, such intriguing events as described in Coulton's life may embolden our belief in the miraculous but we still have to walk by faith if we are to trust implicitly what God has promised us in His Word, which continues, for the most part, to be a strong point in the daily life of their family.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Book for the athiest/agnostic, June 23 2013
This review is from: Heaven Is For Real (Paperback)
I was given this book by my Catholic mother in law. As an atheist, I told her to try and convince me religion is real. I want TO BELIEVE AND FEEL ALL WARM AND FUZZY KNOWING THERE is an afterlife. She told me this book will do it. It is an easy read , and took a couple days. When I was done I told her it did not change my views at all. The fact he was a minister or priest really didn't help. If this was a boy from some tribe, in the middle of nowhere, then it may have had some clout. But the fact he was brainwashed from day one...ruined it for me. I asked my mother-in -law, if she felt book was at all "cheesy" like I did. She said yes, some parts were a bit ubsurd, but of course like all religious people, she cherry picked the areas that she wanted to believe in. All in all, I cant recommend this bore of a book and it made me even more atheist.

Heaven Is For Real Deluxe Edition
Heaven Is For Real Deluxe Edition by Todd Burpo (Hardcover - Oct. 6 2011)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 16.92