4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents...
A Surprisingly Honest Adventure!

I admit, I was skeptical when I first heard about this book. I was expecting some cheesy imagining of what heaven could look like. But as I began to read this book, I saw a story unfolding before my eyes.

Published on July 6 2012 by Adam

3.0 out of 5 stars A Narnia -Like Moment
Published on Jan. 8 2012 by Ian Gordon Malcomson

4.0 out of 5 stars My Two Cents..., July 6 2012
Adam (Saskatoon, SK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A Surprisingly Honest Adventure!

This is not some biblical study on what heaven is like. This is also not some overactive imaginary description of it either. It is the story of a family who walked through the valley of the shadow of death and how they emerged from the other side.

The story is about Colton, the son of the main author (a pastor) who had a near death experience where he found himself in the heavenly courts and witness to some amazing details. But the story is told from the perspective of the Father and the horrors of watching your son almost die. And then as life progresses, the boy gives glimpses of the glory he witnessed by revealing very specific details of information concerning their family that he literally has no other way of knowing... Examples include how Colton told about his Grandfather, his second older sister (who was miscarried), and a whole bunch of details about heaven that a child his age would not have any knowledge of even with the background of church, Sunday School, and being a pastor's kid.

As I said, I was skeptical from the beginning, but I really appreciate how this book was written. I think that anyone can find encouragement within its pages and I heartily recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is for Real- An Honest Review, Nov. 23 2010
atanali "-Atanali-" (Ont. Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review may be a little...different. It has taken me a while, because after reading this book, I sat back and thought about it. What do I say, and more importantly, what do I believe?

Summary: This book is intended as a true account of a boy who visited heaven, as told by his father and a co-writer, Lynn Vincent.

Writing and Theme: The book is largely written as an account of Colton Burpo, who claims his spirit left his body and went to heaven while he was in a serious operation at the hospital. Over time, he tells of his experiences in heaven with Jesus and other people from history.
I would rather that the father had been the only author, as since this is to be a true account, it is a crucial point to this book's integrity. As there is a co-author, it's hard to tell if she "spiced things up". The work itself is fairly well written, and keeps your attention.

Theological and Topical Points: This is where it gets hard. First, I'll look at it from the skeptical point of view.
Does God really let people see heaven? To be honest, I don't know. In the Bible there are accounts of people going to heaven without physically dying, but they never returned.
In this age and nation, we need to consider other elements. Please don't take offense, but these questions unfortunately have to be asked. Is the boy a pathological liar? Is the father a pathological liar? Is he using his son to be published? Is he using his son to gain fame? Did he omit details and/or explanations for this said miracle, making it to appear in favor of a miracle and in turn, Christianity? How much profit will this book bring the Burpos and their ministry?
I know, it sounds awful, but with all the stories and scams that fly around nowadays, these questions must be asked.
Now from a different point of view, this book is quite inspirational. It provides encouragement and comfort for us, and in that respect, I would recommend reading it. I enjoyed the whole book, and only after did I start to ask questions. But whether this book is true or not, it is a beautiful story. I am not telling you to take it as truth, but maybe view it as a possible miracle. To be sure, it should encourage your faith, and make you search deeper as to how strong your faith is.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but not great, April 16 2014
Sheilah ""Strive not to be a success, but... (Manitoba) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I read this book as it was given to me as a gift by a close friend, it isn't my normal genre, but the concept was very intriguing to me.

Overall, I would have to say that the book is quite boring; I found that the author spends more time talking about his life and life in his "one-horse town" than the experiences of his son, which is what the book markets itself as. I am not really interested in the life a pastor in a small town, and in truth, his life is not exceptionally interesting, he is a good man, there is no doubt of that, but he is - in the end - just an ordinary guy surviving life.

The writing style of the book is decent, not a work of art, but it sort of feels like the author is having a conversation with you. He writes like he talks, which at times takes away from the story, and other times makes it more natural. I think that given the topic of this book, this style of writing gives it more credibility, had I read a book that sounded like someone writing a story I don't think the message that this book is trying to convey would have been believable. In other words: how am I to believe this book when it sounds like I am reading Lord of the Rings? Its lack of eloquence and poetic writing gives a more realistic tale. So, although the writing isn't that of a talented bard, the fact that it isn't, shows me that this is the story of an ordinary family, and that they are sharing their story.

The funny thing about this book is that even though it is a bit boring, and the writing style isn't great, I would still recommend this book. I will admit when I read the book I was highly skeptical, and with the author writing so much about himself rather than his son's experiences I started considering the book to be more a brag book than anything else. However, when you get into some of the things the son said regarding his experiences in Heaven, it just tugs at this inner feeling that what he is saying is true, and that even though you don't know why you know it's true, you just do. This book has certainly made me rethink some of my previous opinions. I think, in the end, the thing I take away from this book is that it makes me happy.

In the end I give this book a rating of 7 out of 10, and would recommend people to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real, Feb. 26 2013
It's an encouragement to anyone who many have lost someone they love. Also take any fear away from going to join them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is For Real, Dec 15 2012
anyone who is not sure there is a real heaven needs to read this book. A child tells it like it really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a believer out of anyone!, Nov. 10 2012
This is such a beautiful book ! So many people of have questions about heaven, well all you have to do is read this book and all your questions will be satisfied!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Narnia -Like Moment, Jan. 8 2012
Ian Gordon Malcomson (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
Christians are known as followers or disciples of Christ, the only begotten Son of God and very God himself. To take that belief system to the next level so that it becomes a dynamic and earth-changing set of heart-felt convictions requires an act of faith and sometimes a divine miracle or two to seal the deal. Pastor Burpo, in 'Heaven is for Real' offers us his personal proof that God, Jesus, and the heavenly angels really exist as reported in the Bible. His story is broken into two parts: one entails an incredible chain of events that defines a year in the life of the Burpo family as they contended with life-threatening adversities involving Todd and his son; the other equally incredible aftermath when young Coulton started to share his experiences of his illness. From the evidence, it appears that the young lad was caught up in an out-of-body translation that took him up to heaven for a short spell. There he was shown some unbelievably marvellous sights that confirm that God has prepared a wonderfully happy place for His children. While I equate this book with 'The Shack' in terms of its emotional impact and possible insights into the spiritual or supernatural realm, I certainly do not endorse it as as incontrovertible truth that God exists. Like the Burpos of Colorado, such intriguing events as described in Coulton's life may embolden our belief in the miraculous but we still have to walk by faith if we are to trust implicitly what God has promised us in His Word, which continues, for the most part, to be a strong point in the daily life of their family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Book, April 7 2012
I read this book as a believer in Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Lord. When I began reading Heaven is for Real, I could not put it down until I finished it. It is such an encouraging and revealing book that every person, whether a believer in Christ or not, should take the time to read it. It is a RIVETING book and will open up new thoughts even for a non-believer or a questioning person. I pray Holy Spirit will draw every person on earth to read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars RE: Heaven is for Real, May 19 2014
Amazon service/delivery is great but the book by Todd Burpo was not. As a child of a pastor he has been over-exposed to the bible and all of its perceived glory. Since I do dot subscribe to the belief that the bible is correct, I think the kid has done a good job of recollecting all of the images that his environment has exposed him to. Dont forget, Constantine facilitated the re-writing of the bible and like sheep, millions are lock-step in belief. . Try proof of heaven by Eben Alexander - now that is more believable.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Simple, Yet Profound, Aug. 17 2013
Reading about Heaven, as seen through the eyes of a three year old... what a powerful story! I would recommend this book to any Christian who wants to be encouraged about life after death. Simple. Moving. True.

Heaven is for Real  Deluxe Edition: A Little Boys Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 16.92