march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on March 28, 2008
This is work from a true master of story structure.
Truby's been teaching writers for more than two
decades. It's always been an in person class with
some people xeroxing notes for others. He's never
published before now.

Truby's work is invaluable if you want to write a
well structured story with realistic characters
possessing clear and logical motivations.

The book shows some of the vast array of writer's
tools available to create rich and compelling stories.

All of the book is invaluable. For me, the highlight is
the 22 steps, outlined in detail.

If you can't describe your hero's problem, need, desire and understand
how her desire changes over the life of the story, then stop reading
me and start reading John Truby.
on June 27, 2008
Definitly, one... if not,THE best book I ever read on the subject. Take my word. I mostly read in french (not a lot of real writer) but this book is a must. I don't like to leave this kind of commentary but I do it to help you see over the load of books on the subject. I already read more than 20 books on the subject. This is one the best. Just...Try it.
on January 10, 2013
Have all the other big books on this stuff (also highly recommend "The Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri); Truby's book is another one that takes a different approach than the traditional 3-act structure.

If you go through each section and work on your story/script until you've made it bulletproof, this is really helpful. Had to shoot down my first 4 script attempts partway through the process, but now I've got something that is concise and solid, and each of the previous attempts helped make this much stronger. Taking some time, but I think much better to spend it early on rather than try to rewrite an entire script or book.

Overall a really solid approach--focuses on the relationships within the story rather than hitting certain structure points.
on March 16, 2014
If you only plan on buying one book (ha!) to help with your writing, let this be the one. I wish I could give it more than 5 stars. That being said, it is such a monumental undertaking to structure your story using his guidelines that it's pretty darn daunting. I have felt like an ant preparing to undertake a walk around the globe but, have a few less miles to go now.

Novice writers may find their eyes rolling around in their heads but don't feel bad - experienced writers feel the same way! If you want to write a multi-structured, textured, vastly engaging book, buy this one first. Think of it as a doctoral thesis for your novel or screenplay.
on September 29, 2013
Having bought and read that other book....whose name now escapes me (it's about the same size and better known), I got very little from it.
Took a gamble on this one and it paid off handsomely. Excellent reference and well-presented information about how to structure and write a script. Yes, I've also had the paper-backs in writing, and this one trumps those.
on August 2, 2013
This book is my writing bible! Honestly, this is one of the most thourough, complete and professionnal writing book I've ever read! If you want to write an organic story based on a character, this book will tell you how to create a solid, multi-layered character! The book also covers all the aspects of the story based on the character's progression. Just amazing!
on September 15, 2014
This is a fantastic resource, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in story structure. However, it's important for anyone considering the ebook to note that the ebook does not include the worksheets at the end of each chapter, which are a big part of the usefulness of the book. I highly recommend purchasing the physical book rather than the ebook.
on April 27, 2016
Half way through and I can't believe how much it's already opened my eyes to all the techniques and possibilities on storytelling. No other book, workshop or classes etc has come close to what this author has to offer. John Truby is masterful at his craft. He explains it in detail with examples and much more. Mind blown, you gotta buy it if you want to expand your storytelling abilities. You have nothing to loose as I can promise you, you will learn something if not a lot of new things about becoming a master storyteller. He's not kidding! Buy buy buy...best money spent. Selling all other books purchased before this one. No need for another book on story telling unless John Truby comes out with a second book. If he does I'm throwing all my money at him haha (but seriously I will).
on May 7, 2014
The finest information on story telling that I have found. John Truby is a master, and he conveys his ideas succinctly and completely.
Thanks
on September 17, 2015
Unique tutorial on story craft. This formula completely upends the three-act formula that we were taught in high school and at every level thereafter. I'm looking forward to retooling something I'm working on right now to see how this changes my processes. Definitely worth the read. Very detailed, interactive, and with references to familiar stories.