5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really great book for thinking people
Published on Jan. 21 2004 by Pauline C.

3.0 out of 5 stars At times a 5 at times a 1
Fr. Rolheiser explains at the beginning of this book that he is anot about to answer profound questions, but in a simple manner describe spirituality from a Christian point of view. This is he does. Along the way he does raise profound issues, causing both argument and agreement. But at all times opportunities for reflection.
His chapter on eccclesiology...
Published on July 21 2002 by John Rice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really great book for thinking people, Jan. 21 2004
This is a really great book for thinking people who want to improve the deep roots from which they live their lives. It is also a great book for wounded people who may be ready to leave behind more of the baggage from their lives and move on. Fr. Rolheiser writes two chapters later in the book which will be my reasons for keeping it for many years to reread. This is not a Catholic book. It is a book for human beings no matter what their belief system. He writes about how each of us has a responsibility to work for peace and justice in whatever ways we can in a world that seems obsessed with greed and power but doesn't much care who gets stepped on in the process as long as "I get what I want when I want it." The second chapter I found powerful was the chapter on sexuality approached from a reverent perspective that gets to the heart of who each of us is as a person and how we should act if we truly respect the sexuality of another, not from the genital perspective of which we are bombarded daily. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars At times a 5 at times a 1, July 21 2002
John Rice (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
His chapter on eccclesiology expresses the traditional Roman Catholic perspective that one ought to attend Mass on Sundays. He does not let off on anything personal: prayer, morality, or even relationship to God. But his reasoning and allegories cause one to reflect if staying away from Sunday Mass is really in one's best interest. Catholics used to be told that they had to do certain things because the hierarchy in the Church knew better. Rolheiser does not write in this manner. His arguments are simple and based in human experience.
The chapter on sexuality reaches grandiose debate at times. One can sense his overreaching, especially when he tries to describe what sexuality is by numerous examples, such as a young man just having a drowning person. He is trying to demonstrate how sexuality is an integrated part of ourselves, apart from genital sexuality, which is sexual intercourse. He may actually reach vulnerable places for some readers, not this one.
He writes of the meaning of incarnation in one's life. Prayer, in this regard, he writes, is made through Christ. In other words, one cannot pray for something if one is not already involved in bringing it about. He speaks of prayer as shared existence with others, thus he argues prayer cannot remain only private.
The Paschal Mystery involves death, resurrection, a Forty Day grieving period, an ascension of letting go and a pentecost to be filled with the Spirit or the renewal of life. Rolheiser demonstrates how this works in our natural lives. This is the strongest chapter of the book as it is the most applicable.
At times this book is infuriating, as Rolheiszer likes to write: if this is true, and it is. . . . At other times this book challenges one to reflect on how one is living and if perhaps changes might make one happier and closer to God.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Longing : The Search for a Christian Spirituality, Nov. 25 2013
I ordered this book to have it with me when I need it.I had the opportunity to read it and appreciate.
I would raccomand it to anyone who want to understand our religion.

1.0 out of 5 stars 'The Holy Longing', June 9 2003
Harold M. McGlew (Montague, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
As I found this book to be quite liberal and "cafeterial Catholic" in presentation, I stopped reading it after page 94!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirituality for today, April 21 2002
Samuel (Santiago, A. Metropolitana Chile) - See all my reviews
I enjoy greatly reading this book. I think it has many new ideas of great wisdom and deepness. On the other hand, it is a veru practical guide for some one who sincerely wishes to be a better christian.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book to change your life, Jan. 20 2002
By A Customer
this book will change your life, it changed mine. after a while of reading this book, it clicked just how good this book translated the lords teachings to make us understand him and grow in him. This is a must-read for all people who want to see the bible in a new light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading, Sept. 23 2001
By A Customer
I found Father Rolheiser offered us three critical benefits in his book: 1) Relevance. I found his observations valuable for any Christian seeking a spiritual relevance to their real life. 2) Specificity. His ability to simplify and clarify in a simple, easy to understand manner was the most refreshing tone I have read on this complex subject. 3)Inciteful. I found his wonderful detailing of the incarnation well worth the price of this book. Just a wonderfully appropriate and enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good--But __The Broken Lantern__Is Better, Sept. 21 2001
"kayky" (Emmalena, KY United States) - See all my reviews
After reading _The Broken Lantern_, I was eager to read this book as well. It offers some valuable insights, and I think Rolheiser's discussion of the need to accept what might be called "the tension of the unresolved" in human experience is especially beneficial. However, when Rolheiser tries to apply this idea to human sexuality, it doesn't quite ring true--and borders on the prudish. Rolheiser spends a great deal of time in this book talking about sex, so I feel the need to respond to this issue more directly. While I would never question an individual call to celebicy, I cannot see (unless such a special call has been placed upon your life) that a valiant fight to resist the sexual urge and live with the (I would think, extreme) tension this produces to be especially enobling to the average person. It almost seems a kind of spiritual arrogance and a denial of one's humanity. We are creatures of the earth. Why has this aspect of our earthiness been singled out by the church as an obstacle to spiritual growth? While casual sex, promiscuity, and sexual addiction are problematic, and sex is to be approached with a high degree of respect and accountability, it seems to me that sex should be regarded--not only as some unearthly yet physical attempt to achieve spiritual unity with another--but also as a very earthy physical outlet--a brief moment of release, if you will--for the inevitable tension that the spiritually mature person must accept in other areas of his or her life. Restricting our sexual choices to marriage or celibacy seems downright Puritanical to me. These rules might have made sense in an earlier time (perhaps they still make sense to the Catholic church, which for some odd reason bans birth control), but I think it is possible for a spiritually mature person to have a healthy sex life outside of marriage. And I see no especial spiritual benefit to setting out for the sun with our wax-sealed wings, for we shall only find ourselves firmly planted on the earth again (as the story of the priest's struggle with masturbation illustrates). To be human is to be sexual. If you wish to get in touch with your spirit, you must first embrace your humanity. On another note, Rolheiser's repeated use of the phrase "if this is true, and it is..." seems cute at first but becomes downright annoying by the end of the book. Criticisms aside, this book does have a lot to offer; and I benefitted greatly from reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your spirit is hungry, this is soul food, Aug. 10 2001
"jgerace" (Avon Lake, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Hey, we all struggle with spirituality. That's the point, what makes it dynamic. I savor this book in the same way I enjoyed both the distilled eclectic teachings of Joe Campbell in Power of Myth, and the philosophical treatise on Quality in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. What separates Holy Longing is the individual challenge and intensely personal struggle of at-one-ment in embracing the God within. It's plain-spoken, matter-of-fact and in your face. If the soul is an unquenchable fire, this book throws gasoline on it and fans the flames. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knocked my socks off!, June 25 2001
Amazon Customer (Pittsburg, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Rolheiser makes familiar scriptural and theogical concepts fresh and new, as if I've never seen them before. Amazing, simple, life-changing stuff!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xac779120)

The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality
The Holy Longing: The Search for a Christian Spirituality by Ronald Rolheiser (Audio CD - Nov. 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 40.16