4.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful story.
Published on July 3 2004 by MAB

Maybe it was because the main character was a boy but I wasn't able to really connect to the character. I kept reading with the hope that I would enjoy it but in the end I finished it disappointed. The ending wrapped up all the loose ends but in a way that was too quick and felt like it was too easy and there should have been more to it.
Published 25 days ago by tresmoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful story., July 3 2004
This review is from: Once Upon a Summer #1 (Paperback)
"Once upon a Summer" is a book that is not too serious and not excessively religious. In fact, I think a subtle point was that a person may attend church, but that doesn't mean they are a good person, and that people who do not attend church, may in fact be good people (although I doubt these are the points author Oke was intending to make). I enjoyed the character of Auntie Lou and her valor towards her feelings. I found Grandpa and Uncle Charlie's actions to be awful (concerning finding Lou a suitable husband, and not leaving the choice up to her), and Josh and Gramps' relationship heartwarming. If you're looking for a book to sit back and relax with, then this is the book for you. I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read!, May 24 2015
This was truly a delightful story told from the eyes of a 12 year old boy, Josh, who lost his parents as a baby but who was loved by a number of interesting and caring relatives.

As Josh tells of the many happenings on a farm back in the days when neighbours all worked together to help with harvesting the crops, it brought back memories of my days as a child living on the farm in a large family and a small community where farm life and church life was our main existence.

The only section of this book that I found somewhat tedious was in the description of the threshing machine and the threshing days as it got somewhat repetitive.

The characters in the story from Josh, Auntie Lou, Uncle Charlie, Grandpa and Gramps, the new pastor and the neighbours were all well described and delightful individuals and the story was very well told. Thanks for a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first book in a very good series, Oct. 20 1999
Logan Wright (Springville, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Upon a Summer #1 (Paperback)
This book and series shows the struggles of an unusual family structure including: a grandfather and his father, brother, daughter and grandson. The focus is on the grandson who was orphaned as an infant and has known no other family. His young aunt is the only mother that he has ever known. As the story unfolds, the young boy has to deal with jealousy towards his aunt's suitors. The whole series is quite well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars I kept reading with the hope that I would enjoy it but in the end I finished it disappointed, July 6 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars great story., June 10 2014
Nice clean story for when you just need something light to read. I would recommend this to others to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story!, Aug. 19 2014
I really enjoyed this book! It was easy reading and a very interesting story. I love happy endings! I'll have to read more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, June 20 2015
Great plot and characters. A highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Oct. 17 2014
I am hoping to buy the rest of the series

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 29 2015
Kept my interest throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Reading, June 4 2015
Good light hearted read.

Once Upon a Summer #1
Once Upon a Summer #1 by Janette Oke (Paperback - July 15 1981)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01