5.0 out of 5 stars A good book; the others in the series aren't, though
I have read most of Janette Oke's books, and I must say that "When Calls the Heart" is really one of her best books. It is one of the few Janette Oke books I have actually enjoyed, without getting annoyed at the characters or finding historical inaccuracies.
Published on Jan. 15 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks depth.
Published on Oct. 26 2003 by MAB

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book; the others in the series aren't, though, Jan. 15 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
The book's heroine, Elizabeth, travels to the western frontier to be a teacher. Her adventures are interesting and often humorous (but not outlandish) as she adapts from city life to frontier life. Of course, she meets a handsome Mountie and falls in love with him... Untypically, Janette Oke doesn't have them meet each other right away, and quickly marry them off; she allows Elizabeth to remain in suspense for quite some time and get to actually know Wynn (the Mountie) better. That is one thing I liked better about this book than other Janette Oke books- the characters were more realistic (on the whole) and they did not fall in love at first sight and want to get married right away. I liked that because it left the plot freer for other topics besides the characters' romance.
I must say, however, that one must not let the good reviews of "When Calls the Heart" to lead them into buying the other three books in the "Canadian West" series. They are not nearly as good as the first book. In fact, I highly suggest that you read "Mrs. Mike", by Benedict and Nancy Freedman, instead. "Mrs. Mike" is a true story, and when you compare it with the remainder of the Canadian West books, it is obvious where Janette Oke got much of her material for incidents and characters.
You'll enjoy "When Calls the Heart." I definitely did. The other three books aren't as good, but you can read "When Calls the Heart" by itself; it doesn't necessarily need sequels.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks depth., Oct. 26 2003
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
"When Calls the Heart" had absolutely no depth whatsoever. The character's were one dimensional and predictable. But, thankfully, there was hardly any religious preaching, which I was thankful for. The chapters were very short, and were written as if they were from a child, with no meaning. And, as always, the ending came up so quickly, and ends so abruptly. If you're looking for a mindless read, then this is for you. If not, then I do not recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Charming Familiar Ride, June 12 2014
I had seen a few episodes of the series "When Calls The Heart", and found the general idea intriguing, and different from Oke's other works. I decided I should read the book before continuing the tv series. The book was easy to read quickly, so it didn't really interrupt my youtube binge of the series in its honour. :) The book is sweet and simple, and I think a lot of young teachers (or people who remember being young teachers) will be able to relate to many of the themes and anecdotes. I did find that some elements of the story were left stated to, rather than emotionally experienced by, the reader. For example, some of the teacher's relationships - familial, friendships, and romances - were oversimplified to the point where I had to wonder about the main character's emotional depth (or the emotional depth of the others involved). For those areas, you have to fill in the gaps, and imagine your own backstory to really feel any sympathy for some of the characters. Nevertheless, the book does take you on a charming, if predictable, journey. Not a book for someone expecting novelty or challenge or surprise, but a gentle read for someone looking to enjoy a familiar ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
I had been looking for this version of the book for a few months and when it was available from the seller I received it from I was so excited. I purchased it for my mom for Christmas and it came in super speed time - in time for it to be under the tree! Thank you Amazon. I love shopping with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 2 2013
Love that it takes place in my home province. I have not read a book by her I didn't love.

5.0 out of 5 stars When Calls the hart, Feb. 2 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
It was a really good book. It made me laugh, almost cry, and kept me on the edge of my seat till I was done. I would LOVE to read the others

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different and refreshing from Oke, June 10 2001
D. M Flynn (Anderson, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
I found this book delightful because it was different. Yes it had alot of the typical things that you expect to find in historical Christian romance novels. But it also had a lot of new twists and a very different setting and plot. I too, enjoyed the first person narration, it served to pull me into the story much more effectively. The only down side to the book was that the ending was a bit too predictable.
This is my favorite Janette Oke series just for the sheer difference in writing style and plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best of Janette Oke, Nov. 21 2000
Amelia Sunderland "tesslouise" (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
I have read most of Janette Oke's books, and this series is my favorite by far. The story takes place in a different setting from most Christian historical fiction (i.e., not the prairie), and with the first-person narration Elizabeth's voice shines through. If you are tired of finding the same plot in many books, try this series; the books do stand out. They are also laugh-out-loud funny in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Book, Aug. 28 2000
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
I've read many of Oke's books and liked them, but for some reason I'd never picked up a Canadian West book. I waited way to long, because I loved this book. It was my favorite of her's along with The Meeting Place. I enjoyed Elizabeth's thoughts and troubles at getting her school. It's nice to see her win the hearts of all her students. I really admire her. This book touched my heart and also made me laugh. The mouse situation is hilarious! And then there's Wynn--he can't help but fall in love with Elizabeth, even if he is determined not to. A very romantic, adventurous, and beautiful book. I definately recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars clean, pure, real, Jan. 5 2000
This review is from: When Calls the Heart (Paperback)
Clean, pure, real. That describes the people in this book and the romance that is in it. It is so PURE and santified--what a change from society today!

When Calls the Heart
When Calls the Heart by Janette Oke (Paperback - Jan. 1986)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.82