5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for parenting teens.
As a family therapist I requested this book so often from the library that they told me to keep it. I lent it out to some parents and did not get it back. So I had to buy it.
Published 8 months ago by Bill

1.0 out of 5 stars -10 stars
Are you parent's crazy, you think a book can solve your problems, or actually meet the specifics of one individual? You really have to be stupid to think that a book can do anything. A book cannot decribe an idividual's feelings or actions. Think about that why don't ya!
Published on June 20 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for parenting teens., Aug. 6 2013
This review is from: How to Deal With Your Acting-Up Teenager: Practical Help for Desperate Parents (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but pages missing, April 16 2013
This is a great helpful book but there are a few pages missing! So thats a little disappointing. Would recommend though.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book WORKS for you!!!!!, Sept. 6 2012
This book was purchased as part of a self-help parenting group called HOPE (Helping Other Parents Everywhere). The book and it's principles were practiced by the group members, and discussed with phone support for each other. It changed all of our lives AND more importantly it allowed us to eventually have healthy relationships with teenagers that were on destructive paths to Nowheresville.... An excellent book, and the principles WORK... just read and follow the program to get your life back. it worked for my family and we had a teen that was skipping school, using drugs, alcohol, lying, stealing, aggressive, and all round a disappointment. He has now graduated, got a job, in a relationship, working on getting his driver's license, and focused on a future.... and we celebrate that with him..... a worth while investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only self-help book that ever helped, March 17 2004
Jonathan Aurthur (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
My ex-wife and I read this book almost 20 years ago, when our two kids were teenagers. Our daughter, the eldest, was acting up (and out)--breaking curfew, staying out, experimenting with different substances, generally going through a volatile adolescence--normal "individuating," it turned out (thank God), but it was driving her mother and me crazy because we lived apart and both worked full-time. Two employed adults are no match for one teenager intent on getting her way. We were at the end of our tethers trying to keep tabs on her. Somehow we found out about HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR ACTING UP TEENAGER. We both read it, decided it made sense and was worth a try, and had a family meeting with both our kids. We told them we wanted to try a new way of parent-kid relations that basically boiled down to, mutual respect. When we told them we were going to stop trying to control them--ground them, harass them about schoolwork and grades, etc.--they looked at us suspiciously. Was this some kind of trick? Some sort of parental sting operation? No, no, we assured them, we were on the level. And it worked. Our daughter stopped driving us crazy, we stopped driving her crazy, and relations improved. I can say unequivocally that this is the only self-help book that has ever actually helped me (and I've read a few). I recommend it without qualification. The authors, as I recall, were parents themselves as well as psychologists, and brought both their practical and academic experience to bear. Bless them both. I still tell people about this book when I hear about problems with adolescence, and am glad it's still available.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY highest praises for this one, July 25 2002
Say Grace "dirtyh20sam" (Incline Village, NV USA) - See all my reviews
A wonderful book for moms and dads who are wondering how their kids got so out of control...MAYBE its been your approach. Robert and Jean Bayard offer up a very loving parenting approach. Im giving this to my husband to read and then I'm going to read it a second time. One of the most intellegent books I have read on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Improving Difficult Relationships of Any Kind, Sept. 11 2009
C. June Wolf (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I read this book many years ago and applied what I learned there to all of my relationships. It was immensely helpful. I am very grateful to the thoughtful and compassionate work of the authors.

My only regret is that I gave it away! I have often wished I still had hold of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars -10 stars, June 20 2003