5.0 out of 5 stars Critical For Understanding Where We're Going!
No one could accuse author and scholar Jerry Mander of sitting on the fence regarding his position concerning the so-called "Third Wave' of technological changes cascading through our society and culture. Indeed, this book has been described as a powerfully written broadside against the headlong rush into what Mander terms to be "Megatechnology", which is the combination...
Published on Oct. 4 2002 by Barron Laycock

3.0 out of 5 stars Technology and what indigenous peoples have to offer the wor
A seemingly odd book that ties together the onslaught of technology, and our blindness to what indingenous peoples have to offer the world right now. Designed to be one-sided, and on slight occassion inacurate, it still offers a very enriching historical perspective of our countries' on-going expansionism, now hidden in legal paperwork, a "new world order"...
Published on April 3 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A sobering book with a different take on technology., April 29 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology and the Survival of the Indian Nations (Paperback)
Mr. Mander argues compellingly against the consumer based economy which we live in. His down to earth writing style will lose no one, and his accounts of injustice against native peoples are heart-wrenching. Anyone with ANY reservations about technology should carefully peruse this masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book, exposes the truth, Nov. 5 2003
Adam Chen (Mercer Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I would never have found myself reading an indian book when I was in school. Back then, all we had were grades. Even now, I find myself giving a grade to the article I just read, In the Absence of the Sacred.
But after I realize I am grading it, I also realize the real premise of how we view the world. As a set of statistics and numbers. Isn't it true, today, that all we do when we rate other countries in accordance to us, is see whether they have economies and buildings and airplanes and factories? Then we grade how well they output their economies, how much influence they have. Even art is part of this influence, and the human, in whatever form it was in, is lost. How sad.
Soon countries, together in this vast machine world, become nothing but amalgamations of future and past prophecies of cultural and societal development, all leading forward. Or upward. But what of the societies that have not embraced this trend? The ones that don't show up on the map?
Jerry Mander's has written about these peoples, and their names are not used in vain. He gives them a fair voice, showing how their annihilation in map is not the same as character or spirit. I believe we have come to the brink of an edge in time, when we can finally see through the cracks in the infrastructure of this matrix, one that we continue to be trapped in, because of our lack of understanding of the power of the imagination. Though they are just words, I often wonder, how many people could resist feeling sorry for loved ones that died in a faraway country? Or the feeling of being broken, lost, and adrift? Don't all human beings feel these feelings?

1.0 out of 5 stars Mander's tripe, Sept. 30 1999
By A Customer
I find Jerry Mander's theories to be ludicrous. They are ludicrous because the logic collapses and leaps to unsupported places.
I was given this book as a gift and asked to read the entire thing. I was obviously the wrong recipient. I also understand that this book is required reading in some college courses. How unfortunate for those students.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›