Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on July 19, 2005
I started out with Cameron's original "The Artist's Way" book, and it's a path that I don't regret. The very act of writing those morning pages - every day, and no matter how tired, sore, or just generally horrid you feel - starts a fascinating trip through your own psyche that never really ends. Not that I agree with her idea of "joining with God, the ultimate Creator" to tap into your own creativity; frankly, that tired old Judeo-Christian "let go and let God" advice belittles the very real ability we all have to come up with new ideas and patterns once we get past the old baggage blocking our past.
And this "companion book" is yet another bit of that baggage.
Before I was a writer, I was what you might call an "I-want-to-be-a-writer". I bought many books, decorated my office just so, had the nicest notebooks and best fonts for my word processor.....and didn't do a thing. It wasn't until I gave myself a boot in the rear, grabbed an old scribbler and simply WROTE that I starting writing and marketing my work.
Save your money.
Of course, if you want yet another pretty book that will sit on your desk and delay that stop-stalling-start-writing moment, then by all means buy it. And make your office/studio an interior designer's dream.....and color-coordinate your desk accessories...
Or turn off the computer, grab some paper and that old Bic pen, and get to work.
Up to you.
on February 23, 2004
Either you write or you don't. There is no book that can tell you how to do it or unleash something that is inside you. I like the idea that anyone can write and I highly suggest everyone do it. But I can surmise the entire book in a few words and save you the religious babble. If you want to write or think you can write, then do it. Eventually you WILL get better, or you will turn to something else. If you think you can write then start writing and prove everyone else wrong. You don't need to spend the money to learn that if you want to write, than the best recourse is to write. No one is fooled into to thinking the first thing they write is good. It takes practice. And this is one of two things this book preaches. The other is religion, mostly Christianity.