4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for
Published on June 4 2002 by Melanie M Blunk

2.0 out of 5 stars Why don't these books take their audience seriously?
Published on July 10 2003 by Oregon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Why don't these books take their audience seriously?, July 10 2003
Oregon Customer (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Stories of fright are designed specifically to re-engineer a classic theme in such a way as to leave the reader laden in a substaintial residue of unsavory - yet all too realistic - possibilities. The stories contained in this book fall so far short of said uneasiness that they seem to only encourage the already painful onslaught of boring children. Let us take our children seriously and follow through with a collection of scary stories that actually fulfills its promise of restless dreams.

1.0 out of 5 stars this book is not geared for American Children, May 28 2003
By A Customer
We have just begun camping with our children and I purchased this book for campfire stories. Unfortunately, I started reading one of the stories "Wham! Slam..." which the book said was geared to ages 7 and 8 (my audience). The story told of a witch who axed two children to death and then chased two others, killing 11 dogs with a swinging ax and knife. Luckily, she was killed by the 12th who jumped at ther throat. THe children who survived cut out her heart...etc. Not appropriate for most 17 year olds, much less 7-8 year olds. The cover of the book says "for classrooms, storytelling settings, etc." What school? Rated "excellent" by the very conservative Washington Times...

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, June 4 2002
Melanie M Blunk (Smiths Grove, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I have three children, ages 8-2. The oldest two enjoy me telling "scary" stories around the campfire. Some stories were just too scary to tell them. These are just right for their ages. Scary enough to make them huddle close, but not so scary that they have bad dreams or are too scared to go to the camper alone! The stories are also short enough that they can be committed to memory easily enough. Thank you!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected., Nov. 14 2001
By A Customer
I bought this as a result from the two positive comments I read that gave it an average of 4.5 stars. This was purchased as a gift and fortunately it was not wrapped with cellophane so I first listened to it. The stories were not scary and they were just stupid. One story talks about a boy being chased by a coffin. The only way he was able to get rid of the coffin was a cough drop. Ha Ha. I was not impressed. The storyteller's vocal voice could have been geared for scary stories (spookiness, etc....)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of traditional scary stories., Aug. 23 1998
By A Customer
This book offers a wonderfully broad selection of stories from a variety of traditions and cultures, from the whimsical to the truly spooky. It is an excellent book to have along on camping trips or other excursions with the kids, and sports the unique feature of an age code to indicate which stories are appropriate for what age group.
Read these out loud! They're meant to be told!

Favorite Scary Stories of American Children (Grades 4-6)
Favorite Scary Stories of American Children (Grades 4-6) by Richard Young (Audio Cassette - Oct. 31 2006)
CDN$ 15.50 CDN$ 12.40