5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-have" on the shelf of every dog or cat companion
Published on June 26 2002 by Courtney L. Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars SOME GOOD ADVICE - AND SOME NOT SO GOOD!
Published on June 13 2001 by Sandra D. Peters

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Reference for ALL pet owners -- give it as a gift!, March 15 2005
Diane M. Schuller "bythesea" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats (Paperback)
Though I have half a dozen or so books I keep as a reference for my dog's health, this one gets used the most. It's very user-friendly, full of simple yet justified information and tips.

The only thing I have a real problem with in this book is the home-made cooked diet and the "healthy powder". The [cooked] home-made diet he recommends is high in grains which can cause problems for dogs prone to yeast, in particular. The same goes for the healthy powder. BUT, that said, I am still a proponent of real species appropriate food for dogs and cats.

One of the most important chapters are Chapters 1 and 2 (We Need a New approach to Pet Health Care and What do they Really Put in Pet Food?).

In addition to his sensible approach to health care, he includes some eye-opening and more sensible information regarding over-vaccination and holistic and alternative therapies.

Many pet owners will find the quick reference section the most useful portion of the book. It allows a person to easily look up specific ailments and their treatments. He explains what to use and why or how, and what to expect. This section covers all manner of ailments from allergies, arthritis, cancer, behaviour, reproduction, vaccinations, weight problems, and so much more.

As if this wasn't enough useful information, he also provides specific guides for handling emergencies, first aid, herbal & homeopathic treatments, and so on.

My book gets a great deal of use, both for my own dogs but also to help others. This is a book that every pet owner should have. If you have friends, relatives, or if you are a breeder, why not give this book as a gift? It's a great investment in the health and well-being of every dog and cat.

Enjoy.

D. Schuller

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Book to Have Around, Oct. 19 2003
ShannonS (United States) - See all my reviews
This book's diet portion uses LOTS of grains, so if you feed raw diets with little or no grains, you will probably NOT find the recipes useful.
The health portion of this book is incredibly useful. My copy is dog-eared, highlighted, and a little bit puppy-chewed. It contains both herbal and homeopathic treatments for many common (and some not so common) pet ailments, and also tells you prevention measures.
The successes I've had with some of the treatments in this book have even amazed my vet.
I have dogs, but I've heard many people complain that too many books are "dog-centered." This one seems to have JUST as much info on cats, including separate recipes and treatments. Most health problems have bold headings for the separate treatments, so cat-only people don't have to read through all the dog solutions, etc.
There's a pretty good index, some illustrations, lots of charts, and I've found the directions to be fairly easy to follow. I do not SOLELY rely on this book, but it will always have a place on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must-have" on the shelf of every dog or cat companion, June 26 2002
Courtney L. Lewis "Sassy Librarian" (Kingston, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This book was actually an "upgrade" for me as I had the Pitcairns previous addition. I am thankful this husband and wife team decided to update their work as it was needed. The old book was written in an age when fewer people had access to good quality natural food stores with their now common staples of herbal and homeopathic remedies. Reflecting recent research, and continuing the constant educational crusade of alerting the human companions of dogs and cats to the truth about pet food, the Pitcairns continue to offer alternatives to highly-processed, poor-quality food that literally kills (or drastically shortens the life) of our beloved dogs and cats.
Like many of the reviewers for this book, I could regale you with real-life stories of my previously unhealthy pets (adopted through animal shelters or rescue societies) who were changed by altering their diets, much to the astonishment of their veternarians. I would rather alert you to the fact that, as with everyone, what an animal eats is crucial to its health and two of my wonderful animal companions (a cat given up for a allergic (human's that is) reaction and a dog with chronic skin problems with big vet bills attached) would not have been given up had their previous owners spent approximately 8 dollars more a month on either a higher quality food or fresh food easily made into a raw-foods diet. For anyone with cats interested in exploring their animal's health in depth (or who are endangered of needing to give up a cat due to a family members allergic reaction), I would also strongly encourage you to buy Anitra Frazier's The New Natural Cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars The proof is in your pet...., Feb. 8 2002
I have a 9.5 year old beagle/aussie mix - Misty - who was diagnosed with a mast cell tumor three months ago. After her tumor was removed I discovered Dr. Pitcairn's book. Since then I have been feeding my two dogs his recipes with the addition of liver, eggs, and tuna fish occassionally for variety and some added vitamin A and oils. The change in Misty has been dramatic. There has been no return of her tumor (which I can't attribute solely to the new diet), but her energy has sky rocketed, her attitude is now much more pleasant, and other skin abnormalities she had developed (that the vets said were just due to old age) have completely disappeared. We bought a puppy a year and a half ago and for the first year, Misty would never play with him. Now they play constantly. Misty used to go back to bed right after eating breakfast, and now she is up before I am playing with the our younger dog. I can't believe the change. She will be ten years old in a few months and now acts more like a puppy than she did when she was two years old. I highly recommend Dr. Pitcairn's book. Even if you are not ready to start using a homemade diet full-time, he has a great recipe for a supplement to dry dog food to help you get started plus numerous other disease prevention techniques and tips. This book was well researched from his own experience as a vet and explains everything in amazing clarity.

3.0 out of 5 stars SOME GOOD ADVICE - AND SOME NOT SO GOOD!, June 13 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am an avid animal lover and have always surrounded myself with cats and dogs. At the moment my animal companions consist of two Persian cats who allow me to share their space, and a ten year old Shi-tzu who now takes over my space and everyone's space. The bed is hers, my husband's favourite chair is hers and she has proclaimed the porch to be her own private "senior's unit", a sanctuary she chooses to share only with the cats.
I have been a firm believer in holistic health rememdies for humans and animals. Holistic and natural treatments can have a tremendous value in prevention and in treating a variety of health problems, particularly herbs, as long as one has adequate knowledge of what to take, what not to take, and what not to combine with other herbs. I found this book to be of considerable value in many respects, especially in the area of prevention.
One section of the book I did have a major problem with concerned home-made pet foods. Many home-made preparations simply lack the proper vitamins, minerals and nutritional value that is contained in a HIGH QUALITY pet food. For example, protein comes from a variety of sources; therefore, your home-made pet food may contain plenty of protein but from the wrong sources. Remember, animals in the wild generally receive their protein from meat sources. Also bear in mind that animals are as unique as people and many often have special needs. While I do support many aspects of holistic health care, I would never consider making my own pet food for cats or dogs, nor would I ever feed them a cheap, low-end commercial food often found on supermarket or department store shelves. Buy a nutritional pet food from your vet or quality pet store! You can always add supplements if your vet recommends it. Holistic treatments are not the answer to every problem, so if you are not sure what is going to help or harm your beloved friend, check with a qualified vet before attempting any new treatment. While the book was strong in areas of prevention, it was weak in pet nutrition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource!, May 21 2001
By A Customer
Never before a true believer in holistic medicine, I felt that I had no other alternative when one of my cats was diagnosed with heart disease at barely 5 years old. Conventional meds were making him lethargic and thin, with no appetite and constant vomiting (and put him at a greater risk of developing kidney disease). The vet had given him 3-6 months to live at the very best. This was no way to live, and as a last resort to euthanasia I looked into natural health care and found Pitcairn's book, among others. I decided to feed raw, organic foods supplemented with herbs and vitamins specifically for his heart condition. The change was immediate. I guess he knew what was good for him because for the first time in weeks he wolfed down his food and looked forward to mealtimes. Within a few weeks his fur became fluffy and shiny, eyes bright, and he started bouncing around like a kitten! Well, it has been ONE YEAR since his diagnosis and he is still going strong. Although I wouldn't recommend removing conventional meds altogether (which I did b/c my cat was reacting so badly to them) in favor of purely holistic treatments, it would be beneficial to develop a program with a vet that incorporates both conventional and holistic therapies in a safe and supervised manner. Pitcairn's information and advice in easy-to-read text makes this book an extremely valuable resource for all pet owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars No steroids needed, March 17 2001
sharon g austin (Blountstown, fl United States) - See all my reviews
During the Christmas holidays I had to take a Lab puppy (found abandoned in a park) to the vet. He had intense and chronic itching, to the point he no longer had hair on his underside nor his rump and parts of his legs. The skin had become red and oozed. It smelled fierce and began to turn gray. After reading Levy's book I wanted to feed him a natural diet but wasn't sure exactly how. Dr. Pitcairn's book took her wonderful info and put it into recipes that I could deal with. The Lab now has regrown his coat which is now so soft and silky. His continual hot ear problem has almost completely cleared as well. The vets had all given him cortesone and steroids. They said he would have to take them the rest of his life. Now he is totally drug free. I also have a daschund and a cocker who have both had wonderful changes occur. The cocker's eyes no longer run and stain her face and she doesn't stink anymore! The daschund has a sleek and silky coat now and has quit wheezing. If you honestly care for your dogs you must give them the benefits of this book. It should be required reading for all animal owners. My mom and sister have borrowed my book so I am now ordering one for them. Best of all after seeing the changes in my dogs I've been more careful in my eating and I've lost 20 pounds. Thank you Dr. Pitcairn.

5.0 out of 5 stars No steroids needed, March 17 2001
sharon g austin (Blountstown, fl United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Valuable Book for Your Home Library, March 15 2001
KivaLuvr "dunker214" (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
I highly recommend this book. The information is invaluable and the subject is presented in easy-to-understand English (not filled with technical and medical jargon). Dr. Pitcairn covers just about every major aspect of your dog's/cat's general and nutritional health. I did not receive the impression that Pitcairn was advocating a complete switch to home-cooked foods versus manufactured kibble or you would put your dog at risk. Most of the animals he presents as case studies were elderly or chronically sick to begin with and had nothing to lose. He merely points out that nutrion is the foundation for good health and our dogs and cats are often being compromised in this due to the nutrional choices we make for them. I purchased this book mainly so I could enhance my own Cairn Terrier's super-premium kibble with tasty and nutritious additions that would further optimize her food. Let's face it, most premium foods opt for good nutrition over gourmet taste. I asked my vet but he had no recommendations. Dog and Cat owners should be careful. Very few vets today have any great understanding about the pet food industry because it is not covered during their studies. I was shocked to learn that the pet foods offered for sale in my vet's office were there because the manufacturer rents the space from him and places the products on the shelves. That is the reason this book is so important. The chapters on flea control, weight problems, and general topics like spay and neutering, and even the death of your animal were a truly pleasant surprise. Every dog or cat owner should have this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks nutritional value, Feb. 8 2001
By A Customer
I bought this book after reading all the great reviews on it. I was looking for recipes that would contribute to my dogs health and well-being. The recipes were easy to make but after six months of feeding both of my dogs this way (one a Lhasa Apso and the other a Shitzu) almost overnight their hair started falling out in handfulls! Concerned for their health I took them to my vet. After a couple hundred dollars in vet bills I was pleased to find that they did not have worms and they were healthy but their diet lacked nutritional value. I replaced the grains and oats that the recipes called for with a high quality dry comercial dog food. I also upped the amount of protein they were getting by about 25% more. Though Dr. Pitcairn gives a recipy on page 39 he calls "Healthy Powder", it wasn't enough. After a month of feeding my dogs the altered recipe their hair stopped falling out. However, they still have a dull, thin coat. Hopefully in no time I will get their coats back to the shinny, soft, luster they once had. My suggestion is if you plan on feeding your dogs this way (I still think raw is better) that you watch your dogs closely for any change no matter how minute and supplement their diets with a good multivitamin.

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Paperback - June 15 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.61