5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book.
Love it! Written in terms the average person can understand. Recipes are simple and easy once you buy all the core ingredients. Great book to help you give your furry friends the best care and understanding so they have a long healthy life.
Published 1 month ago by A Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars useful overall source book for your dog
this book is decent in that it covers a lot of information. if you're looking for info on the overall health of a dog, this isn't bad. but if your looking for info on dog diets, then i would choose another book. the info on feeding/diets was very confusing for me, and i think for someone who's new to the idea of feeding raw or homecooked, this isn't what you need.
Published on Aug. 14 2003 by meghan muir

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book., June 23 2014
This review is from: Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful and interesting, March 3 2014
I bought this book because I started to homecook for one of my dogs who is diabetic and refused to eat the commercial dog food - including the canned food and the special diabetic dry food from the vet. I found Dr. Pitcairn's book really helpful to gain more insight into what the dog's diet needs to contain, and there are also separate sections on various ailments and recommendations for special dietary compositions. The book is pleasant to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Reference for ALL pet owners -- give it as a gift!, March 15 2005
Diane M. Schuller "bythesea" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Though I have half a dozen or so books I keep as a reference for my dog's health, this one gets used the most. It's very user-friendly, full of simple yet justified information and tips.

The only thing I have a real problem with in this book is the home-made cooked diet and the "healthy powder". The [cooked] home-made diet he recommends is high in grains which can cause problems for dogs prone to yeast, in particular. The same goes for the healthy powder. BUT, that said, I am still a proponent of real species appropriate food for dogs and cats.

One of the most important chapters are Chapters 1 and 2 (We Need a New approach to Pet Health Care and What do they Really Put in Pet Food?).

In addition to his sensible approach to health care, he includes some eye-opening and more sensible information regarding over-vaccination and holistic and alternative therapies.

Many pet owners will find the quick reference section the most useful portion of the book. It allows a person to easily look up specific ailments and their treatments. He explains what to use and why or how, and what to expect. This section covers all manner of ailments from allergies, arthritis, cancer, behaviour, reproduction, vaccinations, weight problems, and so much more.

As if this wasn't enough useful information, he also provides specific guides for handling emergencies, first aid, herbal & homeopathic treatments, and so on.

My book gets a great deal of use, both for my own dogs but also to help others. This is a book that every pet owner should have. If you have friends, relatives, or if you are a breeder, why not give this book as a gift? It's a great investment in the health and well-being of every dog and cat.

Enjoy.

D. Schuller

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! Truly, fabulous!, July 2 2004
This is THE book on natural pet care, referenced in so many, many books written after this one. Pitcairn's writing is easy to understand, his ideas simple to grasp. One need not have prior knowledge in natural care to appreciate this book. And, this book is wonderful for the expert as well. A holistic vet I met recommended I read this book, and I'm sooo glad I did. Hope you'll read it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense help for dogs or cats, Nov. 4 2003
By A Customer
I used the powders and oils described in an earlier version of this book for my GSD Abbey, crippled by a "degenerative spinal condition" according to her vet. Her hind legs crossed and her back swayed as she walked with difficulty. Disinterested in eating, she wolfed down her dinner the day I added the powders and oils to her diet. She then recovered to the extent of catching and killing -- horrors! -- squirrels in a park. (She was fine with other dogs, thank heavens. She just wanted to be "it" and herd them! She also "wanted" a cat of her own. Chris, when he arrived, knew he was boss, of course.) I also wormed a dog successfully, using this book. I used the diets for cats for a street cat Belle that I rescued, riddled with cancer and dying. Dr. Pitcairn's were the only diets she would eat. I feel the diets prolonged her life considerably.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference Book to Have Around, Oct. 19 2003
ShannonS (United States) - See all my reviews
This book's diet portion uses LOTS of grains, so if you feed raw diets with little or no grains, you will probably NOT find the recipes useful.
The health portion of this book is incredibly useful. My copy is dog-eared, highlighted, and a little bit puppy-chewed. It contains both herbal and homeopathic treatments for many common (and some not so common) pet ailments, and also tells you prevention measures.
The successes I've had with some of the treatments in this book have even amazed my vet.
I have dogs, but I've heard many people complain that too many books are "dog-centered." This one seems to have JUST as much info on cats, including separate recipes and treatments. Most health problems have bold headings for the separate treatments, so cat-only people don't have to read through all the dog solutions, etc.
There's a pretty good index, some illustrations, lots of charts, and I've found the directions to be fairly easy to follow. I do not SOLELY rely on this book, but it will always have a place on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-saving help for my schnauzer, Aug. 17 2003
M. rossrockwell (Bend, OR USA) - See all my reviews
When my schnauzer was very ill a naturopathic vet in our area recommended that I purchase this book. Thanks to the excellent advice from Dr. Pitcairn my dog went on to live a healthy, happy life for an additional 6 years. I made the natural diet recommended in the book for him for those 6 years and used the natural remedies at various times. I continue to use this book often for all of my animals. It is literally a 'life-saver'.

3.0 out of 5 stars useful overall source book for your dog, Aug. 14 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars one of my three staples, May 21 2003
Laura Marenco (amityville, new york United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent, every animal owner should have this book, No matter how many times I purchase a new book I keep going back to this book and The Nature of Animal Healing by Martin Goldstein. I have given this book as a gift many times. A must have for all animal lovers

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopeful Hints, May 7 2003
marti mcginnis (DogTrot Hill, KY) - See all my reviews
A good guide to have when you've been given bad news from a vet. Describes things to do, and hopes you can harbor via your own improved actions in a time of duress with your pet-pal. And once you have it, you can teach yourself how to possibly avoid some mistakes in the future.

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Paperback - June 15 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.50